WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Richmond Airport Hotel

Richmond Airport Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Worst of all the Hilton Properties at Richmond Airport”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have now stayed three times at the Doubletree Hotel at the Richmond Airport. I travel to Richmond once each month and am a loyal Hilton Diamond customer. So I nearly always choose a Hilton aligned property. Consequently, I have stayed at each of the five hotels at the airport and can honestly say that this is the most consistently mediocre. The rooms are basic and dark. You can't park near your room and the clunky elevators are frustrating.

The staff is friendly, but don't solve problems or recognize your brand loyalty. Twice I stayed here (most recently in January 2013) and booked well in advance. Though I got a great sale rate, I usually expect a good room. Instead, when I checked in, I was given the most basic room in the back corner farthest from the front door. I was forced to lug all my Army gear into the lobby and through the long corridors. . .making several trips.

My suggestion would be to stay at the Homewood Suites (actually nearer the airport) or the Hilton Garden Inn. Both are more friendly, new and accommodating in every way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor near the entrance
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Stacy P, Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We sincerely apologize for the experience you had during your recent stay and for the previous stays. We are initiating a full renovation of our property that will take place in 2013. If your travel needs bring you back to the Richmond Airport area, we hope that you will give us another try. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Latham, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here while traveling on business and found the hotel and staff to be good overall with a few exceptions that kept it from being great. The location is the primary reason we stayed here in the first place since our work has us staying near the airport.

The staff and restaurant (only had breakfast) were both great. I had a bag delayed coming from the airport and they were very helpful getting me in touch with the baggage service and coordinating the delivery of my bag to the hotel. Everyone I talked to at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

The room was dated, particularly the bathroom. It only had a single light over the sink and was extremely dark. The hallways were dim and dingy as is typical in older hotels that haven't been renovated recently. The room I was in had a door to the adjoining room and it sounded like the family in the room next door may as well have been in my room when they were playing with their child.

I gave this feedback to the hotel when I was sent a survey and was pleased to have gotten an email back from the hotel manager a couple days later thanking me for my input and letting me know that the hotel is just wrapping up negotiations with Hilton to do a full renovation of the property. Hopefully the renovation will address the issues, with the staff at this hotel, if the rooms were on the same level as the staff it would be an excellent place to stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Stacy P, Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and the compliments about our staff. As you mentioned, we are initiating a renovation of the hotel and hope that you will stay with us again.
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Second time staying here on a layover. If I was paying for the room if I paid more than $95 a night I would be sad The front desk staff really are nice & the rooms are big suites with separate sitting area & a mini fridge. But the rooms are dark & dingy and this is in no way representative of what I expect from a Doubletree. I can't compare it to any of the other airport hotels as I haven't stayed at any of them. Maybe this is Richmond airport standard?

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Stacy P, Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for the compliments about our staff. We value your input and are addressing the issues you have outlined in your review. We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that next time, you will leave completely satisfied!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Last time I was here I had been stranded and Delta had picked up my room. This time the Doubletree was hosting an event for my company so I was staying here on my own dime, and I wondered if it would change my perspective on the place. As it turns out, it did not.

The hotel staff is possibly one of the most consistently friendly staffs I have encountered. From the shuttle driver to the front desk, to the event manager, to the cleaning staff encountered in the hall, everyone was cheerful and nice.

Like last time, check in was easy and the cookie was tasty.

I actually had the exact same type of room on this stay, but this time there were none of the minor issues that my last room suffered from. While this hotel does show some signs that it is feeling it’s age, my room was comfortable, quiet and clean.

I only ate one meal in the hotel. At the Wings bar I ordered the sliders (cheddar bacon) with the onion straws. I was delighted to find that the sliders were med rare rather than well done like most mini burgers I see. The food service was a bit slow that night but then again we had several hundred people in the ballrooms for our event so it was likely a matter of sheer volume.

Room Tip: The hotel does appear to have live musical entertainment on the weekends so my tip is twofold: 1...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind review. We hope that if your travel needs to bring you back to the Richmond Airport area, you will stay with us.
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I always stay at this hotel the night before traveling out of town..

Only on-site airport hotel, now yes I will agree they do need to refurbish and renovate, and they are finally starting to do so..

The reason why I always return is the staff, there are always going out of their way to help me and my family and clients out...

It's the little details that count for me and that is why I return...

I'm sure the hotel will be even better once the renovations are completed in the future...

Breakfast starts at 6am now, was 5am before, but has since changed....shuttle to/from airport runs every 15 minutes or on demand (when off-peak hours)

They do have 2 room suites which are nice for families since it provides more room and bigger area to move around..

Some rooms on 1st floor have an outside patio which is nice as well to get fresh air or talk on cell etc...

Will always return...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ServiceandQuality, General Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent comments about our hotel. We do take great pride in our hotel and want to always provide the very best for our loyal guests, like yourself.

Anytime we can receive feedback whether a compliment or constructive criticism we truly appreciate it. When we fall short, we do sincerely apologize. Without feedback like this we can not reach our goal of providing accommodations that exceed our guests' expectations. We would not have reach the ranking of in the top percentages of all Doubletree in the world for 2011 if we didn't care about each and every guest. We want to get to that ranking again for our guests for 2013! To do so, we just announced that we are putting the final negotiations together with Hilton to renovate our entire property!

We want to thank you so much for taking the time to write to us to share your compliments about our staff and hotel. We really appreciate everything that you mentioned. We hope to see you again real soon!

Again, we do thank you so much for your comments and give you our promise that we will continue to strive to improve so that when you are back in the Richmond area, you will make us your first choice.

We can't wait for everyone to see the estimated $4Million renovation we are planning!

Thank you for your business! Have a great week!
Montréal, Qc.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is well located close to the airport but that is it.
Room was not very clean, fridge was in poor condition and the property is in serious need of refurbishing.
No free breakfast. For a Hilton hotel, you expect more.
I will not be back there.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, look somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sigconsul
Kie H, Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Sigconsul,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Anytime we can receive feedback, whether a compliment or constructive criticism, we truly appreciate it. Your thoughts regarding housekeeping and maintenance departments will be brought to their attention.

I would encourage you to sign up for our Hilton Honors program where Gold and Diamond members receive free breakfast buffet.

Again, we do apologize for your experience and we look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Management
virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you are flying out of the airport in Richmond, this is a super location. Another positive is that they have a stay and park policy ... a van shuttles you to the airport and you can park your car on the property for up to two weeks. However, the rooms and the service were not up to what I expected of a Hilton hotel. The woman who checked me in was not helpful. The room was only ok; there were dirty towels and sheets piled in the hallway floor outside my door. And there was a mixup in the shuttle pickup...was told the shuttle would be there in 10 minutes...30 minutes later I had to call for it again. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear VirginiaTraveler9,

Thank you so much for your recent comments about our hotel. We do take great pride in our hotel and want to always provide the very best for our loyal guests like yourself.

We are sorry that you encountered problems with our staff, appearance of our hotel rooms and our shuttle service. We will review your comments with all appropriate department heads and management, using this as a training tool.

Again, we do apologize and give you our promise that we will continue to strive to improve so that when you are back in the Richmond area, you will make us your first choice.

Thank you for your business!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
BEST WESTERN PLUS Richmond Airport Hotel
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport

Been to Richmond Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!