“Good Stay at this Richmond Airport Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Airport Hotel

Richmond Airport Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Good Stay at this Richmond Airport Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel, more times then any other Hilton Property...I frequently travel and since this hotel is the ONLY hotel on the Airport Property and one of the few with 24 hours shuttle service, this is one of the main reasons for staying here..

As well, this Doubletree property is the ONLY hotel that starts breakfast at 5am...so if you have a very early flight, you can still have breakfast before taking the 515am shuttle for example...

The front-desk staff have been more than accommodating through the last 4 years that I've stayed there and have even been able to get me accommodated on more then one occassion..

They do have a nice bar area with tv for watching games, news etc, they also have Departure/Arrival Screen to check your flight status, and the weather channel tv directly next to that...

The hotel also has an outdoor pool/hot tub, fitness center, BBQ area and Volleyball Court...

Parking is $5.00 a day when not staying at the hotel, (which has changed in the previous months)...

I'll be staying here again...

Room Tip: Rooms on 1st floor are great especially when your in a hurry in the morning, for more quiet rooms re...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank caneshockey31
ServiceandQuality, General Manager at Richmond Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We are embarking on an estimated $4Million renovation throughout 2013 and we would love to have your ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. so that we can cater this to our guests’ needs! Would you do us a great favor? We would really like to know what issues you experienced (whether positive or not) and tell us about our employees that you dealt with concerning this matter along with their responses. This is the only way we can correct issues to strive to improve.
Anytime we can receive feedback whether a compliment or constructive criticism we truly appreciate it. When we fall short, we do sincerely apologize. Without feedback like this we can not reach our goal of providing accommodations that exceed our guests' expectations. Please send responses to dave@doubletreerichmond.com. Thank you!
Thank you for your business! Have a great week!
Dave C. Johnson- General Manager The Doubletree by Hilton Richmond Airport, Virginia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
La Plata, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

This is the 4th year we have stayed at this hotel. We only stay 1 night and than use sleep and fly, but the people could not be more accomodating or friendly. Always greet us with smile and welcome back. Even helped us jump start our car when we returned. Food at restataurant is always good and around December timeframe always have entertainment, i.e. jazz band. Easy check in/check out, always take us to and from airport promptly.
Great value too!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harleygirl7
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Delta put me up at this hotel when my flight was cancelled and they were unable to get me set up on another flight that day.

Arriving, I had high hopes for a nice room. The hotel seems quite nice as you enter and the staff was sympathetic about my flight situation and very nice in general. Check in was easy and my cookie was tasty.

The room was larger than I expected, having a nice separate sitting room at the entrance, and was very clean and comfortable. That said, the reason such an otherwise nice room was being used for airline comp was immediately apparent. In the area where the bed was located the ceiling next to (but not directly above) the bed appeared to have suffered some kind of water damage and there was a wall to wall seam where the paint/ finish had flaked away. There was also a portion of the carpet next to the wall where there was a perfect imprint of where someone had let a hot iron sit long enough to melt the fibers.

Now to be clear, I really didn’t mind these two minor flaws in the room. The room was free, comfortable, and clean. The service was great and I’m sure that if I had said anything, they would have moved me to a room with a better aesthetic. I only mention this at all in the interests of offering a complete and honest review of my stay.

While I was there I did order a pulled pork sandwich from room service. The food arrived promptly, was nice and hot, and tasted fine. Folks should be aware that the hotel does accept airline meal vouchers, but only for the meal listed on the voucher. I had one for dinner and one for lunch, but only was able to use the one for dinner due to how late I arrived.

When checking out, I left before the regular shuttle schedule started but the driver was more than happy to take me to the airport right away.

Room Tip: If minor flaws like the ones I describe are unacceptable to you, be sure to just give the room a onc...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank BigIrishGod
Abingdon, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed two nights at this property. This is my second stay here, but first review. Like other reviewers have noted, nothing to write home about. This Doubletree provides basic comfortable hotel accommodations and friendly and helpful staff. Bruce at check-in is always pleasant and welcomes you back. My fifth floor king suite was comfortable. There was a refrigerator in the room, but no microwave. The location is across from remote airport parking and relatively quiet. There are not many exciting dining options in the immediate vicinity, but a short drive to White Oak Town Center has an abundance of restaurant and shopping choices. Unlike, other Doubletree properties, this property does not provide a free breakfast to HH Diamond members. Your HH perks include two mini bottles of water. The standard chocolate chip cookie was not as warm as I recall, but I did check in after 9 pm. While, I had my own transportation, the hotel advertises that they provide complimentary shuttle service within a 3 mile radius, 24 hours a day. There is a full-service restaurant which I have only used for breakfast. On this stay, I ordered an omelette, tea and sausage for $15.00, a rub, because I expect at a minimum, free breakfast at Diamond-level. I had no connection issues with the complimentary wireless service. Overall, staying back-to-back at Doubletree properties over the last two weeks provided a stark contrast in amenities between this property and the Doubletree Tarrytown where I stayed last week. I noticed other Hilton properties in the area and am more likely to try out those on my return visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ladyinmaryland
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I picked this hotel for its location (just opposite the Richmond airport), so it definitely wins points for being convenient. The staff displayed typical southern hospitality - perhaps too intrusive and sugar-coated by non-U.S. standards, but certainly preferable to apathy. Being handed a warm cookie at 9pm was about the last thing I wanted after a long day of travel, but that's a personal preference and each guest can choose how they wish to experience that welcome gesture. Craving instead a nice dinner accompanied by a glass of wine, my colleague and I set off to the restaurant, encouraged by the front desk clerk's spontaneous pronouncement of how good the food was there. Don't expect much. The restaurant staff was willing and sincere; the food was tired and disappointing. But again, if convenience is a priority, then you might make do with the restaurant. There was certainly a wide variety of menu items. We had the crab cakes, but they barely compared to ones you can get in downtown Richmond restaurants that are fresher and more flavorful.

The rooms, as other reviewers have pointed out, have a tired, dated feel but are generally comfortable and functional. The public spaces are clean and pleasant.

Breakfast was as disappointing as dinner. The cheery staff helped make the experience more palatable, but the lack of good coffee (don't look for any cappuccini!) and a poor selection of fresh fruit (green bananas and shrivelled apples) didn't win points from us. But it's more convenient than the alternative of fighting Richmond rush-hour traffic to find a breakfast place.

Overall a forgettable experience at a hotel that certainly has some merit: convenience, nice staff, clean accommodations. Would I return if on business in the area and needed an airport hotel? Maybe. Would I carefully consider other possibilities? Most definitely.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
layton UT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

The staff here is quite good and accomodating. The place is a bit poorly decorated, needs a little sprucing up decorating wise. who ever painted this place was a lousy painter. but the rooms are quite comfortable and everything is clean. there is a general lack of attention to detail. Ice machine on my floor broke and was never fixed in the following 3 nights i stayed there. one day I found my bed wasn't made. for some reason housekeeping quit halfway, and left a pile of new sheets on my TV cabinet. I called the front desk, they say housekeeping came up, but i was out so they didn't come in. Why? the water is not hot enough at times for a good shower.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank bobcat128
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

In most cases you get what you pay for, but here you get way more than that. Property is in great shape from a maintenance standpoint, friendly staff, large rooms and very comfy beds-right on the airport's doorsteps. We only stayed one night, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone has a different experience, but we couldn't find a downside here. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank romadaro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
BEST WESTERN PLUS Richmond Airport Hotel
Courtyard Richmond Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Richmond Airport

Been to Richmond Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!