“So-so”

Holiday Inn Express Richmond Airport
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Sandston
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Be warned: this hotel is changing identities--becoming a Holiday Inn Express--and renovations are going on. The rooms are ok, newly decorated, with some nice touches, like microwaves and fridges. The bed is nothing to write home about--sheet and coverlet only (no blanket on mine); the AC is a hard-to-control window unit; and the shower is the economical kind, with not much water. The halls, elevator and lobby are grungy from construction.

My biggest complaints are the coffee, which tastes like dishwater (I didn't stay long enough for breakfast) and the shuttle van, which was a bit late and then went to two other hotels. It made me nervous about getting to my 5:40 a.m. flight on time. (That was not a problem: my airline had few passengers; if I'd been on United, however, and had to stand in that long line, I'd have been in trouble.)

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Richmond Airport

Reviewed May 6, 2008

The hotel is undergoing a renovation, however it didn't affect us at all. The room smelled of fresh paint. The beds are comfortable, good sheets and pillows. The pillows were medium sized and fluffy, and the comforter was one of those luxurious down filled blankets that make you want to stay in bed. The bathroom was pretty good, clean, although the grout could use a little work. The lady who took care of the breakfast buffet was so nice. The breakfast was okay, typical for any hotel buffet I guess. Other than her and the cleaning staff, the staff was just OK. My mom left my room key at the desk for me and they didn't ask for my ID when I came to pick it up.
The hotel doubles the price for race weekend which is a practice that I loathe. The pool, spa and workout room looked great but I didn't have time to use them. The hotel is right off of the interstate, and the Unos restaurant across the highway is great. Is only about 10 or 15 minutes from MCV and convenient to RIR. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Overall had a good stay, the hotel seemed newer and/or remodeled and the staff was very nice and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. It is very convenient to the Richmond Airport. The only complaint I had is that the room had a very strange hotel smell in it.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2008

We were looking forward to our one-night stay here due to the great reviews. We booked our room through the Wyndham via phone and had our reservation printed out. When we arrived at the Wingate following our flight at 11:45 PM, we were informed there were no rooms and that the reservation had been incorrectly entered for April 18th. Despite our printed reservation, the best the desk clerk could do for us was refer us to the Microtel (he told us everthing else in the area was full). We informed him it did not have good reviews and this arrangement was not acceptable. No apologies or efforts to make amends for our inconvenience were offered and, having no other alternatives at that late hour, we went to the Microtel, which was filthy.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank MilwaukeeFred
Reviewed February 22, 2008

I just returned from a 4 day stay at the Wingate, while visiting my daughter in the area. I had never stayed at a Wingate before, but based upon the reviews, and the indoor pool, I decided to give them a try. This will be my one and only experience with Wingate. The room was very large, & roomy, & quiet. Bed was okay as far as comfort goes. Hotel desperately needing mirrors! There was construction going on in the hotel, and I wish I had been notified of such beforehand. The majority of the staff we encountered, really needed some instruction in etiquette, and common courtesy. It appeared several of the desk staff were more interested in personal phone calls, than helping customers. Breakfast offfered was mediocre for the price of the hotel. Same few items offered for breakfast every morning. Pool was very cold, too cold for us to use. spa was luke warm at best. The hotel really could use some major improvements, and attention.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2007

Our flight was canceled and the airline put us up in this hotel, and we were pleasantly surprised. This hotel is a nice business hotel with friendly staff and nice, newish rooms. The rooms are large with a microwave and refrigerator. There is also free wifi, an indoor pool and spa, and a workout room.

• Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed September 5, 2007

This is a great business-class hotel near the airport, but without the usual airport noise! The room was large and clean, and the breakfast bar outstanding! The only complaint is regarding the jacuzzi, which was luke-warm at best.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandston
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Holiday Inn Richmond Airport
Courtyard Richmond Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!