“Great place to stay”

Howard Johnson Inn And Conference Center Salem
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Salem
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We were coming through and had to book last minute. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. The rooms were neat and clean. Even though it was pouring rain, the view was still great. Town is a quick drive where you can go get a bite to eat. Overall great bang for your buck.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights while I was in town to take the Virginia Bar Exam. The price was exceptionally cheap, which was the main reason I picked the place. The room was in bad shape - some of the paint was peeling and it had a funny smell. I wasn't terribly bothered by this because I had paid a dirt cheap rate. What did bother me, however, was that the staff seemed indifferent at best and unhelpfully rude at worst. For example, I asked the clerk checking me in to charge the room to a different credit card than the one I had used to make the reservation, but he refused, saying the computer wouldn't allow it. I refuse to believe that there's no way to change that; I'm guessing he just didn't want to do the work.
The hotel is right off I-81, and it seemed like it would be fine for people looking to crash for a night before continuing on in the morning. But it might not be the best place for people who are going to be in town for a few days.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I had stayed here once before because I was traveling with a dog and they are dog friendly here. Actually, they are friendly. The place has a nostalgic feel to it, and for sure wasn't overly fancy, but the room was clean and had all the necessities including a mini frig. The view is amazing!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Salem, Virginia
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The room was supposed to have been recently renovated but there was burn holes in blanket, the toilet didn't flush right and this morning found a bug running around in the bathroom.

My husband and I along with about 15-18 other people came to the dining room around 8:40 for what we thought was going to be a great breakfast and they were out of eggs,sausage, and gravy and when we ask about it was told they were out and couldn't, make anymore. There was no coffee and had to wait for him to make more.

We will not be staying again.

Be ware of false advertisement.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Salem
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Not the worst room I've ever stayed in. Cigarette burns all over everything in our "non-smoking" room. Staff was very friendly. Couldn't get a wifi signal for two days. Pool was clean.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business