“What I expected”

Howard Johnson Inn And Conference Center Salem
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I often use this Howard Johnson's for a quick stay when I head to Blacksburg for a VT Football game. For a quick stay this hotel is adequate with a very good rate. Staying in Salem avoids the high costs and two night minimiums (due to VT games) of Blacksburg. My only complaint this time was I checked in very late and the front desk clerk was not nice. I am sorry we got there so late and the hotel clerk works the over-night shift, but he could have been nicer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had made a reservation for a King non-smoking with front view and did not get that. Wound up in the back with no view and sub-standard room. Wondering if because we used points for a free night we were then shoved in the back!!! Reported mold to the manager in the tub and around the sink but was not taken care of...breakfast has nothing really for those who are watching their weight. There was some fruit but no yogurt or high protein items.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I spent the night here while travelling through the area in Sept 2012, room #200.
When I entered the room, it smelt like smoke - even though it was non-smoking room. The room was extremely basic, all the furniture is old and worn. The chair had ripped upholstery. Big stain on the love-seat and carpet. The covers looked old and like they hadn't been washed in a while. The toilet ran all night. The free wifi + basic breakfast, and the view of the mountains was the best part of the whole experience.
But the worst part of the stay was when I woke up in the morning with more than a dozen extremely itchy, red, warm, and very swollen and hard welts with central punctum along both my arms, fingers, neck, left side of face, and back. The bites were so uncomfortable, had to stop along the way the following day to get some hydrocortisone cream and anti-histamine from pharmacy, which caused delays. Had to throw out my bag and wash all my clothes with hot water and high heat.
When I got home, my family and I have been anxious the bedbugs may have hitched a ride. You can't put a price on peace of mind.
Worse yet, the bites were so uncomfortable, my dermatologist prescribed a stronger ointment which cost additional money and hassle.

I called HoJo customer service, they gave me a customer service reference number and told me somebody would get back to me in 5 business days. No offer to reimburse me for my cost or even an apology.

Avoid this hotel, its not worth getting bit and potentially bringing bedbugs back home with you.

Room Tip: Avoid room #200 with the bedbugs and running toilet
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank ParekhK
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a great value if you get one of the many coupon books available. Pet friendly. Is very quiet. Off season. Noticed hotel is attempting to remodel slowly. Landscaping and general maintenance was good. Rooms are clean and certain items new. Mattresses are new linens clean and fresh. More towels upon request. Service was OK bit night desk clerk seemed rude when asked for towels. Breakfast room attendant was nice and responsive. Breakfast was nice. Would have ditched mini muffins and had toast available. Juice machine was broken would suggest making that a priority. Nothing to drink unless you drank coffee or tea
Sausage gravy was excellent. We would stay again. They have a beautiful pool bit it wasn't clean and was closed early this ppolis an asset but was under utilized. Great viewer.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The rooms were filthy & smelled really bad. I changed rooms & the next room was as bad as the first. The carpet had stains all on them. The furniture and chairs was all tore up. The front desk agent, Diedra I believe her name was, was very nice and helpful. That was the only good thing besides the view. Great view. This place needs a major make over/renovation. I WILL NOT stay here again nor will I advise anyone else to stay there unless you like dirt.

2  Thank MsNisha
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Awful smell, broken phone, clogged sink, blinking/malfunctioning smoke detector, bad coffee.

Mr. Johnson is rolling in his grave.

Luckily we were only there for a five hour sleep durning a long north/south drive

1  Thank haveseenall50states
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband, our teen daughter, and I stayed at this motel in June on our way to NYC. It was clean, with very comfortable beds. The furnishings and surroundings are dated and could use some TLC, but everything was in working order. I prefer to stay where there are interior corridors, but it is also nice to be able to easily get to your vehicle.
The view from the front is spectacular! It might be off the road a little, but I consider that a plus!
We arrived late and left early the next morning, so we didn't use the pool or fitness center. The ice machine did not work, but we got some from the office.
The breakfast was not elaborate, but was filling and good tasting.
Although it could use some updating, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family