“Value, with a View”

Howard Johnson Inn And Conference Center Salem
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This motel is underappreciated. Let's admit, first of all, that there are some cracks in the concrete, the sink drains slowly, and things could be improved by a few extra employee hours to spruce up the grounds more than once per day. Now, with that out of the way, this is a great place to stay! The rooms are functional and clean. A friend in another room thought his bed was uncomfortable, but I thought my bed was just right. The wi-fi works, housekeeping is efficient, the continental breakfast is not fancy but provides good quality food, and all the staff that I have dealt with have been polite and helpful. The rear of the motel looks onto a hillside, is protected from sound and wind, and is very peaceful. The front side has the best view of any motel in Salem or Roanoke, bar none. The prices here were lower than most, and the experience for me was quite satisfactory. This is the third year I have stayed here while in town on business. It's not the Ritz, but it is a great value for the money, a view to remember, and an experience worth seeking out.

Room Tip: Front side has an expansive view; back side is secluded and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank G F
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn And Conference Center Salem

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We had a coupon and they are pet friendly. The breakfast room is lovely and the view spectacular. The rooms were alright bed comfortable etc. There was some awful spill on the carpet but for the money and time of evening it was just right. We would happily stay here again.
The people were very nice.

Room Tip: If you want a room with the view ask for one facing the mountains. I believe half do.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This hotel was ok. It was very cheap. They had recently replaced all their mattresses. The room was fairly clean. The hotel itself is an older hotel but overall a decent place. I would stay again simply because it was cheap. It is hidden away at the top of a large hill which made it kinda creepy.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2012

After looking for a place to stay on a trip from PA tp GA, I made a reservation at this HoJo hotel. It was one of the few hotel’s available as it was Mother’s Day weekend and several colleges were holding graduations. I made the reservation over the internet. Upon arrival, I was told that I did not have a reservation. I was told that I could call their reservations office to resolve the issue ---- as if the debacle was my fault! The attendant finally called the central office. After 20 minutes, they resolved the issue and my reservation magically appeared on the local computer desk.

The room was a dump. The carpet was well worn and stained. Most of the furniture hardware was missing. A full-sized refrigerator was in the room and loaded with rust. The hair dryer had been ripped off the wall and the only thing remaining was the plastic base. The tub had been chipped and had many patches of paint. The phone did not work. I went to the office and reported the missing dryer and was told that someone would bring one to the room. A half-hour later I went back to the office and was told that there were no extra dryers and that they tried to call the room but apparently the phone does not work – no kidding! Apparently they did not think of sending someone to the room to let me know.

"The Dump"

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TS26_11
Reviewed April 23, 2012

On a long road trip to our Nation's Capital this spring, I bought a night's stay here thru hotwire.com. On that site, it's a "gamble" as to which hotel out of several "possibles" that you may be booked with. Well, I lost this time. You should have seen my face when "Howard Johnson's" was listed as my BOOKED hotel. (Not Happy)...and when we arrived, it only confirmed how I felt and confirmed my facial expression.

There was a group there with a lot of children. They let them run up and down the corridor screaming and yelling late at night, until I called the front desk to complain. The breakfast (free) is so BOOTLEG! The only thing it was good for was to swipe some bowls that we could use for the cereal and milk that we had packed in the cooler. I wouldn't eat there, unless my life depended on it.

"You get what you pay for"...is TRUE. Should have opted to pay more with hotwire.com this time - that's for sure. Needless to say, we slept well (after those wild kids stopped the noise)...and BOUNCED that morning - faster than Kobe Bryant, himself. Therefore, my advice is to: Keep on driving to a nicer hotel up the street if you have to! I had already paid for it ahead of time...so I was STUCK staying at this old motel (wanna be hotel), who's decor still dates back to the early 90's.

Room Tip: Run. Pay more...and at least get a decent breakfast at another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CaliDreaming1
Reviewed January 15, 2012

On our travel up to the North, my husband and I had already decided we would lodge over night. We pretty much did a "eny meny miny mo" kind of thing with th exits. I wished we had stopped at the Welcome Centers as had others in order to save $10 buck or so off the room but at about $50 for the night was reasonable enough. You do have to go up a windy and curvey road in order to get to this hotel. The esthetic looks of this hotel could definitely use a remodel but all in all, it seemed to be well up-kept. There are no interior hallways meaning you parked right outside your room door. Which I liked since our van was packed full of stuff.
It is of a typical hotel room. Our room had 2 queen sized beds, mini fridge, microwave, tv (which had 20 channels), table and chairs, safe and a coffee maker. Sink and vanity are outside of the bathroom. Bathroom itself was on the small side. I liked that it had a heated switch while you were taking a shower. The water pressure was average, nothing fancy. I do have to say that the way that the shower rod was hung made it seem as if the curtain could not go from wall to wall. The room had plenty of space. I was able to fit my daughters pack and play in between the beds. The beds were surprisingly comfortable. I like that the room shades kept the room dark enough. Other than needs some updates, it wasn't bad.
We did not see or use their pool or fitness room as we arrived late, went to bed and woke up and ate breakfast to be on the road.
Their continental breakfast was alittle more than the average. Included, biscuits and gravy, egg patties (those you would see at a fast food restaurant - the ones that don't really look like eggs? haha), oatmeal, cereal, donuts, muffins, bagels, waffles (frozen), apple juice, oj, milk, coffee. I guess as I write this, it seems to be the typical for all but from the size of the breakfast area, it seemed like a lot. There were plenty of seats and a big screen (older style) for you to watch.
Employee at sign in desk was nice and pleasant. Overall, not bad for the price and location. Although it does seem scary at night...then again, what place doesn't when you're a little off the beaten path?!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DS146
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We bought some last-minute tickets to a Virginia Tech game, so all of the hotels in Blacksburg & Christiansburg were already booked. We decided to try the Howard Johnson in Salem since the rate was so good and the reviews were fair.

It was an average hotel - no interior hallways, but since we would only be there to sleep for 2 night we figured it was worth a try. We were in room 300 which was on the end, so we had no problems with noise. The room was clean, which is the most important thing for us. Breakfast was standard fare, nothing remarkable. The front desk staff were very nice.

There were a LOT of Tech fans staying here, so I guess we weren't the only ones who needed a hotel at the last minute. The parking lot was pretty full, so they may have been at capacity.

The best part of staying here was the view. Each morning it was worth stopping for a few minutes to take in the mountains. Absolutely gorgeous.

Would I stay here again? Hard to say. I'd rather stay in Blacksburg or Christiansburg of course, but if they're all booked Salem isn't too far up the road and this hotel met our needs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor on the front of the hotel have the best view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple