“Avoid this hotel!”

Howard Johnson Inn And Conference Center Salem
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My husband and I stayed here while he was working in town. The staff was friendly enough, but communication was difficult since most did not understand English. The room was fairly clean when we arrived, however, housekeeping did not clean very well in the days after our arrival. The telephone in our room did not work, neither did the hair dryer, and there was not a microwave as promised. The beds were also quite uncomfortable. We brought our dog and the fee was only $7 a night which is very reasonable, but something in the carpet caused him to break out with a horrible rash. All this considered the stay wouldn't have been too bad, but there was a strange man from the local area lingering around the pool and making advances at women who were alone. He kept returning even after several complaints were made to the staff, who claimed that there was nothing they could do about it! Since I spent the majority of the day alone I found the situation extremely uncomfortable, perhaps even down right horrifying. We ended cutting our stay here short a day since we found the situation and the lack of concern shown by the management unnerving. My suggestion is to avoid this hotel if you are a woman, or traveling alone.

• Stayed: July 2011
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn And Conference Center Salem

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We actually found this hotel after we realized I had picked the wrong one on the internet. We had previously stayed at a HOJO about 15 miles north of this hotel and when we arrived at that hotel, they said we didn't have a reservation. They told us we had actually booked the HOJO in Salem. So we backtracked and found this lovely hotel with a beautiful mountain view. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were typical HOJO fare, but were clean. They need an upgrade for sure, but for $59, the room was fine for a one night stay on our way to Washington, DC. When we make this trip again, we will definitely book the Salem hotel versus the one 15 miles up the road!

Room Tip: Book one in the front of the hotel for mountain views.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Terrifying experience. I've never paid for a hotel and left until we booked here. We checked in very late at night and needed a clean room for an overnight stop on a long trip. Having read some of the reviews- I thought this was an ok pick. I do know that you get what you pay for and I did not expect an amazing room. For $67 I did expect something clean- The whole place was just creepy...after checking in, we realized we might not be in a safe area. The door to the outside was old and a big cheap window spanned across the living area. Not to mention- 2 adjoining rooms made me kind of fear for my life. This wasnt the deciding factor on leaving though- we then realized we were not alone- bugs were flying around the bathroom area, the towels were brown, and there was a big stain in the only chair I thought about sitting in. After starting to turn down the bed (caved in the middle I might add) on one side- we saw a stain on the pillow- we were examining and something fell from the ceiling. Went to the other side to turn down the bed and a giant roach crawled across the pillow. We left- actually too scared to go back to the front desk to checkout (which was just as scary as the room itself). Not worth $6..much less $67...

Room Tip: Comfort Inn down the street was just fine.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JBVA1
Reviewed June 19, 2011

You get what you pay for. Its an old hotel, there was a red stain on the sheets that may had been either a drop of blood or nail polish. The room had a musty smell and didnt look clean. It has a convinient location and good mountain views from the hilltop setting. But the rooms need to be refurbished and updated. if you are interested in only a bed for the night and will not spend any time in the room, it is an inexpensive option.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The cirgarette smoking desk attendant was friendly and helpful when we asked for extra pillows but the room was shabby and the beds uncomfortable. I wouldn't go back. We were just looking for a stop right off the highway but there must be others in better shape.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We had a room on the top floor, overlooking the mountains, the view was gorgeous. There is an elevator to the top floor, so if you have heavy luggage, this will not be a problem to get to your room. We had the chance of having great weather when arriving in the afternoon, so we were able to enjoy the pool for a while, and it was really enjoyable. The room itself was large, and clean, even though the furniture seems quite dated. We had a great breakfast in the morning, the breakfast area is large, and there is enough choice for an complimentary breakfast. The only issue we had was the bed. The mattress was certainly old. Whenever my husband or I made a movement, we had the feeling there was this huge earthquake ! So we did not sleep very comfortably. All in all, it is average then.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Great view,yes. We stayed 4 nights, Hotel was average as far as budget hotels go. However, We noticed I belongings seem to be moved when we came back in the evenings, thought it was just us misplacing things until we noticed an employee entering our room with a hotel key(not house keeping) when he had thought we had left for the day. Immediately I went to the office to complain and let them know he was in our room at that time and how alarming this was for us. Response from management was"So sorry, We tell them not to do that". Response from Owner.."Sorry," that was it.. This was extrememly disturbing to us, What was this man doing in our room when we were gone philfering thru our things or worse????? Immediately we began thinking was he placing cameras in our room? Was he being perverted with our things in our room? A million questions ran thru our heads. This man was very shady peering out when we left almost watching wevery move we made, We were 2 married women traveling alone due to a family illness, so this was very scary for us. I did file a Corporate complaint never have heard anything from Howard Johnson on what if any action was taken if any, no compansation was offered, we left and went to a rest stop to get ready for the day. Very alarming and disturbing pay the extra $ for another hotel and for the sanity of knowing this establishment is not trustworthy.

• Stayed: February 2011