“Not so excited this time” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mac and Bob's

Mac and Bob's
Ranked #3 of 101 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Opened in 1980 as a 10 stool pub and has grown into a 330 seat restaurant with outdoor dining, indoor and outdoor bars. Famous for huge, great-tasting calzones. Wide range of menu items including steaks, salads, burgers, seafood, sandwiches, and pasta dishes. Offering 35 craft beers on tap, featuring local Virginia beers.
Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
“Not so excited this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Were in the Salem area and looking forward to revisiting this restaurant. I didn't think much about it at the time but the hotel clerk was mentioning other places to us but thinking back on this visit perhaps she knew more than we did.

Upon entering we were seated in the long narrow room in the front. My first instinct was a strong odor followed by hearing the people who followed us in noticing the same thing. The woman noted it smelled like sour milk, my thought was someone had vomited. I am sorry to say I didn't ask to go to the other room. First it was cool, then they shut the AC off and it was stifling. Our waiter was a great young man, very nice & professional, exceptionally neat and clean. Looking around I felt the restaurant wasn't very clean and really lost my appetite. Directly in front of me, not 10 ft. Was the broom, dustpan, robot carpet cleaner and a small bucket with a wet cloth....

The food was ok, but by this time I wasn't hungry. I didn't even drink the water, my slice of lemon was pretty dark and looked as though it should have been thrown out....won't return

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
“Reasonable Prices for Good sized portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We were staying at a hotel nearby. Mac & Bob's was on their list of nearby restaurants. The menu had lots of variety, so we decided to give it a try, Reasonable prices, for good sized portions. The Chicken Marsala was different than I've had before. It really didn't resemble Chicken Marsala to me. It didn't have enough sauce and had a too much melted cheese for my taste, but the chicken was juicy and tender. Actually, this chicken was delicious, it just didn't taste like Chicken Marsala, which is one of my favorites. The side salad was a good size. I opted for blue cheese dressing, which was good. My husband had the Herbed Chicken. His chicken was also very good, cooked perfectly. We will definitely eat here again when we are in the area.

Visited October 2013
Sandston, Virginia
“What a Steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Pittsburg Steak is wonderful. Served on a sizzling platter, it'll melt in your mouth. You won't be disappointed with anything on the menu. Everything from seafood to pizza to pasta dishes are very good.
My wife and I are in Salem several times a year and we always stop in for lunch or dinner.
Give it a try when in town, you won't be disappointed!

Poquoson, Virginia
“Return visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I ate at Mac and Bob's on a friend's recommendation a couple of years ago and couldn't wait to go back. They offer quick, friendly service and great food at a great price.

Visited October 2013
LEWES
“Took a chance, well rewarded, reasonably priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Saw the restaurant in the hotel's notebook. Checked the menu out online and it looked pretty good, so we went for dinner.
Nice place with very friendly staff.Lots of locals in for dinner. I ordered a fillet, medium rare and baked potato. My wife had the chicken platter. Both came with house salads that were fresh and crisp. I had a flight of craft beers and she had the house merlot. My steak was delicious - perfectly cooked, with a grilled flavor-did not need a steak knife to cut it. It was large enough to take a portion home. The four pieces of chicken were grilled, as well.
You will not be disappointed with this restaurant.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Mac and Bob's? Share your experiences!