“Good service, food less so.”
Review of Mac and Bob's

Mac and Bob's
Ranked #2 of 105 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Opened in 1980 as a 10 stool pub and has grown into a 330 seat restaurant with outdoor dining, indoor and outdoor bars. Famous for huge, great-tasting calzones. Wide range of menu items including steaks, salads, burgers, seafood, sandwiches, and pasta dishes. Offering 40 craft beers on tap, featuring local Virginia beers.
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Snappy service and huge portions. However the food (salad and pizza) was fairly bland, we'd have preferred less food and more flavour. Tripadvisor let us down on this occasion.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I just did not like the ambience of this restaurant. I am a smoker and wanted to set outside, that was fine but no smoking. Very disaapointed in that so I actually left. You would think outside would be ok to light up. I know its a bad habit however I smoke and that is the fact. Thanks

Reviewed November 5, 2012

They are now open for breakfast. The menu has something for everyone, is always busy, and has a great outdoor area, plus plenty of TV's for the sports fans.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Had heard good things abt this restaurant ... But unfortunately it turned out to be like a southern cafeteria .... Whereas the waiter tried hard it was very average experience!! The worst part was the fact that the six tables in our immediate area where uncleared... A combination of dirty dishes, used straws and napkins, etc... Bathrooms were filthy... Would not back...

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My friends and I frequented this bar (and now restaurant) 30 years ago when we were in high school. Recently went back for my 30th high school reunion and the place is still the #1 hangout in Salem for all ages. Families and couples seem to go there for dinner and the young college kids arrive after midnight. On the weekends, they are open until 2 am!
Didn't eat dinner there but did share a large plate of nachos. Typical bar food but good. They had lots of beers on tap.
We were outside but it was great because it also had all the amenities of being inside. This place has expanded several times over the years so it can accommodate lots of people and each group can have their own space whether you want a bar scene or a quiet place to have a meal.

I went on a Sunday for their brunch and the ham and cheese omelette was excellent.

Been to Mac and Bob's? Share your experiences!