“Fantastic!”

Pancake House
Ranked #45 of 105 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American, Diner
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

It looks like a little hole in the wall place but don't let that fool you. It's one of the best breakfast places I've been to.

I got the silver dollar pancake breakfast with eggs and bacon. I knew the regular sized pancakes would be too much for me. My husband got one of the big pancake breakfast plates then couldn't finish it. We both left full and happy!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Very overpriced. I ordered a salad there and it was almost 8$ and once I got it home there was a handful of lettuce, a few tomatoes, onion, and cucumber. Basically a side salad. Nothing that I have ever gotten there has been stellar. I would rather go somewhere else.

1  Thank FoodieWK
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Tourist in town looking for local breakfast fare and found it at the Pancake House at 1840 Apperson Drive in Salem VA. Wife had eggs with toast and homefries (which was excellent, but not anything really special. I had pecan pancakes with side of hashbrowns with onions. Pecan pancakes were OUTSTANDING!; lots of pecans and very tasty. Made to order hashbrowns (which I never heard of before) with onions were unexpectantly light and very tasty..not greasy at all. Coffee and service were equally outstanding and value (bang for the buck) was excellent. Decor was in line with a traditional diner..except for the corporate-like inspirational posters on the wall (not a detractor, but I'd replace them with photos of local Roanoke landmarks if I was the owner. I'd give the Pancake House an A. Go, eat and enjoy!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Don't let the appearance of the building fool you--pay attention to how packed the parking lot is, instead. This place is what other diners aim for.

Came here for breakfast on a Friday morning. They have the coffee to you pronto, and it's good. I had the corned beef hash and eggs; DH had the pancakes. The hash was hot and crispy, with just the right amount of grease, and the eggs were cooked perfectly--sometimes over-medium can be tricky to get right. The pancakes were light and fluffy. Our server kept coming with the coffee, which was much appreciated.

The ambience is clean and comfortable, busy but not rushed, with no pretentions at all. Just a solid, old-fashioned American experience. The staff were friendly pros, and the prices are downright cheap. It was perfect, basically.

I'll come back here in a heartbeat next time I'm in town. You locals--so jealous!

Been to Pancake House? Share your experiences!