“Good casual dining”

Macado's
Ranked #8 of 101 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Huge variety sit down sandwich / sub shop, regional chain.
Salem, VA
“Good casual dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been going to Macado's for over 20 years and they are always good. I will say the change to the menu for Chips Dips and Things (fresh hot pretzels) was soooo good, I have thought about it everyday since. Their homemade French Onion Dip is also great. A must stop if you are in Salem - great sandwiches and salads!

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good food at Macado's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

First time to visit a Macado's and it was excellent. Enjoyed a Schooner (32 oz beer in stemware glass) while waiting for our table. Good service and extensive sandwich menu. There were three people in our party and all were satisfied.

Salem, VA
“It's one of my favorites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I love going to Macado's in Salem. On my last trip I ordered the Titanic which is one of my favorites. The menu describes it as roasted prime rib, melted Swiss cheese on French bread with our own French dip or A-1 Steak Sauce for dunking. Each time I order this sandwich it is as delicious as I remember from past meals there. The service is always good and the atmosphere is casual and family friendly. The only downside to this place is that there are way too many menu items and it's difficult to chose which I want or like best. The Cowpoke is another favorite.
For the grownups Happy Hour is GREAT.

Roanoke, VA
“Good Sandwiches and Salads, Terrible Service at this location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Macado's has been in the Roanoke/Salem area for many years. Their menu offers a huge selection of sandwich choices, or you can build your own to suit your taste. Their prices are very reasonable making a good casual place for families. This Salem location is in the downtown area and walking distance to Roanoke College, thus it does attract the college crowd.

On our most recent visit, there was no hostess to greet us. The wait staff seemed to be running back and forth across the lobby area, but never stopped to greet until I stopped someone. Finally, our names were taken and placed on the list. A table near the door opened up and was clean for several minutes. Knowing that we were next to be seated, I finally asked if that was going to be our table. I was told, "yes", when it is cleaned (ummm, it is clean!). As we were about to be seated, another customer approached the server complaining that they had not been seated and had been waiting in the bar area. We were then told that this party was there before us, and would get the table. OK, fair enough, but, again, why was this table sitting empty while they were waiting. About ten minutes later, there was still no one at the table! So, I asked again why it was open while two parties were waiting for it. We were then told that we could have it. I pointed out that another party was expecting it and was told that they no longer need it. Whatever. We were seated. Subsequently, our drink and food order was taken in a timely manner, but our food came about thirty minutes later - for sandwiches, salads and a bowl of soup. The food quality was decent, though my daughter said her "hot" sandwich was now cold.

I've been a Macado's fan for twenty years, but will avoid THIS Macado's. If you are visiting Roanoke, try the Macado's across from Tanglewood Mall on Rt 419 - same food and better service.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank redelaneymd
“Pub Fare with flair”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

The sandwiches are reliably good, and there queso dip is like none other....yellow cheese with green and red peppers, onions, etc. Reasonable kids meal prices, and reasonable prices overall.

Visited November 2012

Been to Macado's? Share your experiences!