“I am not impressed...” 3 of 5 bubbles

La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Salem
“I am not impressed...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I stayed at the La Quinta in Salem as a result of following all the gushing reviews I had read online. Perhaps I am used to a different quality or had higher expectations, but I was pretty disappointed in this hotel. First of all, I could hear the TV in the room next to me on one side, the voices of people on the other side, and the person overhead sounded like a hyperactive elephant walking back and forth continually at 6:30 am. In other words, the rooms are not very soundproof - even with the AC fan on high; I could hear everything. When I wanted to know the times for the pool or breakfast, or the location of the ice machine, the brochure always noted to call the main desk. Why not just list them somewhere??? The shower "room" was very dark and the toilet flushed extremely loudly. Breakfast was the worst "continental" I have had - with watered down orange juice, watered down coffee - not even real milk or cream, but the powdered stuff, and flavorless sausage gravy. While I sat in the dining area, an employee spoke loudly about the "rich" college students in Salem - and how their parents don't know what they are doing and that perhaps she should consider buying real estate to rent to the rich families. I should have said something, but didn't.... I am the parent of a Roanoke College Student and definitely NOT rich. I didn't like hearing this at all. After I checked out, I looked into some other hotels in the area. For $5 - $10 more, you get a better breakfast with a much more pleasant environment. I do not plan to return. But, hey - it's cheap, so if you are willing to sacrifice quality - go for it. I was definitely not impressed with any of it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank travelak518

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Gastonia, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

I had to drive to Ohio, over to Eastern PA and then back home to NC last week and had the pleasure and good fortune of spending a night in the La Quita @ 140 Sheraton Drive in Salem, VA. I'm 60 years old, was traveling alone and felt very safe there. Their extra security measures were very comforting and much more than at other hotels I've visited.

The staff treated me like family, the room was spotless and I've never seen a cleaner bathroom and living area. After a swim in their great outside pool area, I took a bath. I NEVER take a bath in a hotel, only a shower. That bathroom was clean enough to eat off the floor so I made an exception to my rule with no reluctance. The bed and bedding is like sleeping on a cloud, I slept a full 8 hours, which I never do, not even at home. The room had everything I needed, plus some. Everything was so wonderful. I slept like a baby and everyone there was so kind and very helpful, I hated to leave.

I usually shoot out of hotels as soon as the sun come up, but not this time. I didn't leave til 10 a.m. and that was only because your employees told me about the great farmer's market in Salem.

When I finally decided to leave I was going to grab something to eat on the way out the door. The day clerk, Dorothy, suggested I sit down and eat breakfast instead and she was right. I had a 4 hour drive ahead of me and I needed that great breakfast to get my day started right. She seemed like an old friend to me by the time I left. The food served and the cleanliness of the eating area was excellant. Everyone is super there.

I don't know who does the hiring for LaQuinta but they sure have a talent for hiring great people. I would encourage everyone to visit this hotel. The rates are very reasonable and I've paid a whole lot more for a whole lot less at other hotel chains. I look forward to staying there again.

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Mildred1915
Blue Ridge, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

I have stayed at multiple LaQuinta's, they are consistently good but this one is far and above the best of all the other La Quinta's we have stayed at.
The staff is outstanding, the rooms are spotless as is the lobby and the breakfast is also not only good but the cleanliness of the eatung area is better than a restaurant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank retirement08
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed at La Quinta one night while visiting Roanoke College and could not have been more pleased with our experience. The hotel was very clean and the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The young woman at the front desk recommended Mac and Bob's for dinner and it was a great suggestion. If our daughter decides to attend the college, we will make this hotel our regular spot.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TewksburyTraveler
Chapel Hill
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

Convenient to interstate, but not too close, Excellent wireless. Fitness center had several cardio machines, no weight machines. Typical La Quinta

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank To-King
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

My wife and I were traveling through Virginia from Pennsylvania to Georgia and not realizing there were so many college graduations for the weekend of May 14, 2010 we had been searching for a hotel room for over 3 hours. We stopped in at the LaQuinta Inn to find very friendly ladies behind the front desk that called mutlitple hotels within an hour of this location to help us find a room for the night. We were shocked at this type of customer service we received and we weren't even a guest at their hotel. The hotel itself was very nice in the lobby area and we will stay at this establishment on our way back to Pennsylvania.

Robert Pine
Bethel PaI

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rpine53
Deltona, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

We stayed here briefly in Feb - then again for one night in April. This is a great location right off of I-81. The hotel is clean - the breakfast is good and the staff is professional. I love that LQ does not charge for pets and that they are so clean and affordable. I would recommend this to any traveler - especially one with a pet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frmrtvlagt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hampton Inn Salem
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Salem
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke

Been to La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem? Share your experiences!