“Good and Not So Good”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Salem
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Good and Not So Good”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Read reviews and booked here for one night while driving through area. Yes, there are quite a few dogs. Appears hotel puts most guests with dogs on ground floor. I requested upper floor, quiet location when I reserved online. We were in 308. Did not smell or hear a dog gratefully as we had driven long way that day and just wanted some quietude.

Toilet ran--brought to attn. of mgmt. next morning. Breakfast was not to our taste. We do not eat biscuits and gravy--a featured item. They do have a waffle iron and bananas. But overall, not the best breakfast we have experienced at this type of lodging establishment. The hotel apparently is used a great deal by construction contractors--many trucks in parking lot, group of guys sitting outside drinking beer and smoking, etc. Not bad people but be aware this is clientele we experienced. Finally, I struggled sleeping on the mattress--it essentially had a bow in the middle and I like firm support.

I was emailed by LQ to review my stay. I did so and to his credit owner emailed back to apologize that our stay was less than we had hoped for.

The place is clean and rooms are fine, albeit old style. Appears to be a renovated older building, eg. sink is in room and bath/toilet is separate. If you want privacy while doing personal care at sink, this is not the place.

Room Tip: No dog(s)? ask for top floor providing you don't mind waiting for the 1 elevator or can walk the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Unfortunately, I would never return to this hotel, and I would definitely not recommend it. This hotel has a pet-friendly policy, which would be okay provided it didn't smell like a Zoo. I was placed on the ground level, and the room smelled horrible. I had to go to the local Walmart to purchase candles & febreeze. I was highly upset as my daughter suffers from allergies. I must admit the staff was very friendly, and tried to be accommodating. However, with this smell our experience to say the very least was very uncomfortable..

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Pleasantville, New York, USA
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I love staying here to visit my son at Roanoke College, It's nearby the school, clean, free breakfast, an overall great value for the money. But most importantly, for our family, pet friendly. The college kids miss the dog more than anything. My only negative about the hotel it is not in a location that you can do a good run with the dog but we will be back many times over the next 4 years. Thank you La Quinta!

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was traveling with a group of six for a business trip to Blacksburg. Due to it being move in week at Virginia Tech all of the hotels were booked, except Super 8 in Christiansburg. After staying at the Super 8 for one night we started researching alternatives even though we had to drive a longer commute to work. We came across the reviews for this La Quinta and they were great so we booked six rooms for the remainder of the week. We arrived at the hotel and were all pleasantly surprised. I had no idea that a La Quinta hotel would be this nice! The rooms were clean, modern and comfortable. House keeping did a great job everyday. The staff was very friendly! I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If the La Quinta hotel says that they are completely booked check out Priceline, Expedia or Orbitz...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We traveled down the the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway so this was a very convenient spot when looking for a pet friendly hotel on our way.
Love the red lobby. Very different and cheerful. Breakfast a step up from the standard La Quinta.
The room design, with a wooden floor entry area and bathroom is particularly well thought out for a pet friendly hotel. Our crates fit perfectly under the vanity.
Melanie was very warm and friendly. Oohing and aahing over our Cavaliers. Very helpful with recommendations for dinner, etc.

Stephens City, Virginia
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Love the location--right off I-81 and an easy drive to downtown Roanoke. We had a king room that had every convenience--fridge, microwave, desk & separate chair w/footstool. Loved the decor & the extra touch of having an outlet in the base of all table lamps so that we didn't have to crawl around looking for the closest one (especially handy for my husband's sleep machine!).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gcrigler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem
Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Salem

Been to La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem? Share your experiences!