“fine dining at best”

Blue Apron Restaurant and Red Rooster Bar
Ranked #1 of 105 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This restaurant just opened in Salem, VA a month or two ago. It is wonderful!!! The best place to eat in this small town!
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We ate there once and have tried, with little success, to get reservations since. I suggest calling more than two days ahead for a weekend reservation, since my attempts at that have not succeeded. The food was superb, comparable to some of the finest restaurants I've eaten at in Charleston SC, in San Francisco, and in Paris. I haven't requested a tastings menu, but may put the chef to the challenge. I cannot recall exactly what we ordered, but I do remember being favorably impressed, and have wanted and tried to return. Relatively pricey, small dining room along Main Street, charming.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great for a special event. Menu changes with the seasons and also offers small plate options (small being the key word), I have left hungry so really best option for lunch or late night, if you are hungry order full plate. Consider a daily special or soup of the day, always fresh, unique and wonderful. Service can be a little stiff but always professional just not overly friendly. Reservations highly recommended.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Outstanding food, great service. Be sure to try the butternut squash soup in the fall. Reasonable wine list too.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

A small establishment but obviously very popular with locals and tourists alike. It seems that reservations are a MUST but my friend and I were lucky enough to get in and have dinner at the bar. It was very cozy and much less noisy than the main dining area. And our waitress/bartender was excellent!! Kudos to her because they were very busy!!

The food . . to die for! I had the lobster bisque soup as my first course. It was delicious and creamy but not too heavy with large pieces of lobster. Then, my main course was seared scallops with garlic & herb potato "slices". Yes the portions aren't huge (although my friend's steak was quite large) but we both opted for the less expensive half portions. It was filling, satisfying, delicious . . everything you want in a great restaurant experience.

Also, I had the chocolate souffle cake with ice cream for dessert. One word . . YUM!! It was like heaven in my mouth.

I will most definitely return here if and when I return to Salem. Bravo for Blue Apron Red Rooster!!

1  Thank vikesfan
Reviewed October 2, 2012

What a great little restaurant!! I can't believe I did not know about it.
The food was great. I had the snapper with coconut curry and orange/pomegranate compote. It had everything.....fish done perfectly, creamy sauce, some spice, sweet, and crunch. The asparagus soup was also very good.
I was pleasantly surprised. It might be my favorite restaurant in Roanoke/Salem.