“Stopover Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Maryland
“Stopover Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

On a trip to Charlotte from Maryland, we stopped at this hotel overnight to rest. The hotel was excellent and the complimentary breakfast was outstanding. There was a young lady who worked in the breakfast area that was just so hospitable that it made our overnight stay that much better. We stayed there on Thursday Night of March 20th. When we come again, we will shortly use this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Ronniestew,

Thank you so much for telling us about your visit with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. We are always trying to find ways to make this service better. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and it was a very good experience. The staff was friendly and the hotel was very clean and quiet. The breakfast area was large and well-cared for. The breakfast buffet was the usual HIE and was kept well supplied. I definitely recommend staying here,

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tammy,

Thank you for telling us about your visit with us. We are so glad that you and your family stayed with us. We hope that you and your family enjoyed Salem. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Salem, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stopped without reservations late at night and the Staff was friendly and efficient. Rooms were very comfortable and very clean. Staff let us borrow a snow scraper from her car the next morning. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Hayeskm,

Thank you for telling us about your visit. We are so glad that we could accommodate you during stay in Salem. We are so glad that you chose us. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

cape may nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I purchased this room for my son and his family after hitting a bad snow storm. This hotel was very close to route 81 in salem virginia. They unfortunately didn't have enough money to purchase this room. I called and booked the room over the phone and the staff was very helpful and allowed me to book the room without having to actually show them the credit card. My son and his fiance were extremely happy with the hotel and were able to enjoy a nice breakfast before getting back on the road. They also helped my husband and I have peace of mind knowing they were out of the of the bad weather and off the roads until it was safe. Kudos to the Holiday inn.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear lisacape,

Thank you so much for telling us about your family's stay. We are so glad that we could help them out during the snow storm. We are so glad that we could be there for you, and your family. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We hope that you may consider us again in the future.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'm late writing this review, but better late than never! I wanted to make sure I gave this place all the kudos they deserved. My friend and I were in town for the UNC at VTech football game in October 2013. We had never been to the area before and were so late making plans for the game that there were hardly any choices of hotels left! I had stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before and found the beds to be so comfortable, so when this hotel was offered as a choice when I did an online search, I quickly scooped it up and hoped for the best.

Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted by the front desk staff. I made sure to explain that I did not intend to use the same credit card to pay for the room that I did to reserve the room. I asked them to notate this on my account and also explained that my friend and I were splitting the bill. She assured me my card would not be charged for the whole amount. I admit I had my doubts.

The hotel is conveniently located right off a main road, with a convenient store within walking distance for late-night snacks or to fill up with gas before you head on the road. It's not too far from VT, but far enough away that you don't feel like you're stuck in the middle of traffic and game people. We easily made our way to the Marketplace Square for dinner on both nights with just a short drive. Housekeeping was so nice through our stay, respecting our "Do Not Disturb" sign when it was out, but also promptly cleaning our room when it was not.

I was amazed by the selection of the free breakfast! We came down both mornings to find biscuits and gravy (DELICIOUS!), pancakes, an assortment of rolls and bread, cereals and oatmeals, bacon, sausage, almost any breakfast food you could imagine. And it was free! The young lady who was making all the food was very nice, but I did feel bad for her because there were so many of us scooping up the food faster than she could put it out. They could probably use one more person assisting at breakfast on busy weekends so one person isn't overwhelmed.

On our checkout day, they slipped the receipt under the door as hotels typically do. I was impressed to see that someone actually paid attention to the notation on my account regarding payment! My card was only charged for one night and the remaining balance was the amount my friend would later pay as we departed for back home. I can't tell you how many Marriott hotels I've stayed at that do not listen to anything you say at check-in and charge your card for the whole amount, later having to credit it back and it's just a big mess. This just added to my satisfaction with this hotel.

Overall, this hotel is probably one of Salem's best-kept secrets and the mountain view rooms make it perfect for a weekend escape, even when there's no football game.

Room Tip: Make sure to choose a mountain view room so you can enjoy the sunrise and sunset over the mountains...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear CarolinaBlue08,

Thank you so much for your feedback about the hotel. We really appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you for telling us your concerns about the billing. We find it very important at the hotel to make sure we tend to the needs of the guest. Details are very important in our eyes. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will choose us again in the future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Salem, VA Holiday Inn is very convenient to the area highways. There are also a couple restaurants nearby. The hotel room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good, typical for a Holiday Inn Express. My rooms heat-A/C unit did fluctuate throughout the night, but that's a typical hotel problem.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear EB0320,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you for telling us your concerns about the heating/cooling in the room. We will make sure we pass this feedback on to our staff. We use guest feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Nashville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed for business in Dec 2013. It was clean and with modern decor, but amenities are bare bones and walls are paper thin. To illustrate, I was awoken at six AM by the bedroom alarm clock- in the room next to mine. I was also on the ground floor and could hear parking lot traffic and people talking with walking through the area. Probably would be fine for a brief stay, but make sure you get the top floor and hope the people in the room next to you are quiet. I've stayed in lots of chain hotels in the area, there are better choices around Roanoke than this. A plus is it's just off the interstate if you just want a room while traveling. A negative is there are no restaurants close by.

Room Tip: book a higher floor room to avoid noise
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Hiker570,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied. We will pass this valuable feedback on to our staff. We use guest feedback to make changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem
4.0 of 5 stars 197 reviews
Hampton Inn Salem East-Electric Road
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke
Baymont Inn & Suites Salem Roanoke Area

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Salem? Share your experiences!