“Outside is very updated but the rooms are not... But that's not a no-go!”
Review of Super 8 Salem VA

Super 8 Salem VA
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I've been to Salem three times now and stayed in different hotels each time. This third trip I was looking to save money but not skimp too much on the peace of mind I'd be safe (I'm a female sleeping alone) and not feel dirty.

When you pull up it looks very updated and unlike any other Super 8's I've ever seen. When I got in the lobby was tiny and no one was there but there was a sign saying to pick up the phone and call for help. They came right away and I checked in. NOTE: no elevator that I saw.

Going up the little stairs I was rethinking my choice but when I opened the door I saw that the room was adequate. PROS: Very clean! They had a stand for my suitcase, working a/c heat, fridge and microwave and lots of storage. The bed was very comfortable. All linens seemed clean. CONS: at least two of the outlets didn't work. I wish there were more pillows! It was a bit much ($70) for a night.

Fine for a night, but I'll continue to hotel shop until I find the best value for the money.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed October 23, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 2 times in Jan & July 2012, now and both times it has been a wonderful experience!! The staff is warm and welcoming and our Non Smoking room with two double beds had everything we needed, Good Microwave, Refrigerator, and TV, Comfy beds, Very clean bathroom with the usual soaps, shampoo, and hair dryer. Breakfast was very ordinary but adequate. I will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I found the room perfectly comfortable and reasonably priced and Mr Mehta was a very aimiable and informative manager. My stay coincided with the storm of 29 June and the place filled up rapidly with displaced people but Mr Mehta coped superbly. He was keen to pass on recommendations from other guests, one of which, Awful Arthur's restaurant, turned out to be a well above average restaurant just along Main Street. Breakfast was perfectly OK. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
trip3798, Manager at Super 8 Salem VA, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments on our property! I am glad to see you enjoyed the area and local restaurants. Hope you have a chance to stay with us again when back in the US. I enjoyed having you as our guest!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I made a reservation online because the said they were pet friendly I drove down from Long Island when I got ther the person at the desk hardly spoke english and every question I had she had to call someone and speak to them in some foreign language. i was told I could not leave my dogs alone in the room even though I had a cage but to take them with me and leave them in the car it was only 99 degrees needless to say I left as I was leaving a very pregnant women told me to not stay they arrived earlier with her grandmother and no one would even help them with there bags and the room was filthy.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else or sleep in the car.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Sorry to hear that we were not able to accomodate you at our property. Most properties have a policy that pets can not be left unattended in the room. This creates issues for other guest in nearby rooms.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

After driving 9 hrs in 95 degree weather with no AC in my car I decided to check into this Super 8 because it was part of the Wyndam hotel Rewards. This place was overpriced ( $78.00 and that was a AAA rate!!! ) the place was empty!!! I paid the same price at a Sheraton over the weekend and it was beautiful! smelled of smoke, towels were stained and dirty gray. The bathroom needed a complete overhaul!
I was so disgusted that I sprayed the room down with Lysol and had to use my own blanket and towel. I will never stay here again nor any other Super 8! Just a
dirty skanky motel! Was ready to just sleep in my car!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed February 9, 2012

The room I was given was decent....clean and bed was comfortable. Light in bathroom was very dim. My main complaint was I reserved room for 3 nights but left day early because I accomplished what I had to do and didn't need to stay longer. No one was at the desk early in the morning so I left my key on the desk with the others that were left from other guests who left that morning. I checked my credit card online and I was charged for the full 3 nights. The persons english was very hard to understand. I'm still waiting for this to be resolved.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for bringing to our attention your charges for the three night stay. I have gone back and credited your account and was able to contact you and advise of the credit. Hope to see you again on your next trip