“Nice quiet area.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Kingston
“Nice quiet area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

Stayed here to attend a Nascar race. Very nice hotel in a scenic area. Great location to start at for numerous sight seeing day trips. 2 restaurants and a Subway less than a 5 min. walk along with a Kroger Grocery store.

Good free breakfast in a nice area in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ROBBJOHN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
charlottesville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

My family arrived at the hotel to check into their room with the rest of my kid's sports team only to find out that the Agent who took the reservation inadvertently booked us for two nights rather than one. Since we were not in town and unable to check in the day before which is when the Agent booked our room...they canceled our entire reservation and sold our room to another guest. With no rooms available at the hotel and no manager on duty to assist my wife in making other arrangements, we spent more than an hour on the computer and phone trying to find a hotel that had availability. With very few non-smoking rooms available in town, and no one willing to match our group rate of $89 dollars we were forced to shell out $40 more on a room at a Quality Inn MOTEL (a far cry from a Comfort Suites!). I understand that mistakes happen, however this was not an isolated incident as another team family also experienced the same reservation problem. After numerous attempts to contact the Hotel manager in person she chose to settle this dispute with an email offer of 4000 choice international hotel points. It takes 10000 points to get a free night. Very, very poor customer service and no regret what so ever when I told the management that our team would never return to the establishment. The entire situation reminds me of Seinfeld and it went something like this:

Traveler: I don’t understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?
Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of rooms.
Traveler: But the reservation keeps the room open. That’s why you have the reservation.
Agent: I know why we have reservations.
Traveler: I don’t think you do. If you did, I’d have a room. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to *hold* the reservation and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank biggame_hoo
orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

A staff can make or break a hotel stay, and in this case it ruined what could have been a pleasant experience. The hotel itself is fine. Not fancy, but reasonably clean and in an acceptable location. However, from the front desk, to housekeeping, to the breakfast area, the staff was uniformly unfriendly and untrained. For example, over our entire 3 day stay, the room was never cleaned. Instead we found fresh towels in a bag outside our door one morning. The unkempt kid at the front desk at night did not want to respond to questions because he was in the middle of a tv show. The list goes on. You can find better elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank orchidking
No. VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

clearly has been a flood of sorts, the carpet is all bunched up, I tripped twice on the way to the elevator. Wallpaper by elevator is peeling, the tile in the elevator is all cracked. I know for certain this has been a smoke-free property for at least two years, yet my room smelled of stale cigarettes and stinky feet. The smell was overwhelming. I had to leave, and I did. Front desk was friendly, understanding - made no apologies, and I don't blame him.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Greenrier County, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Couldn't ask for nicer employees. Hotel is very quiet; you don't hear noise from other rooms unless in a hallway. Coin operated washer and dryer for wardrobe emergencies. High priced vending machines. Good free breakfast. Conveniently located near a Kroger. Building needs maintenance work.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

We stayed here b/c we attended a funeral in town. Was overpriced for the quality of the room; we got a semi-suite. The room was run down & dirty. Mold on the ceiling in the bathroom & carpet was dirty (in corners). The single fabric chair in the room had a stain on it~gross! The beds were incredibly uncomfortable and the bathroom was very dated. For $135 night in Salem I'd expect a lot more. I wouldn't stay any longer than a single night at this hotel. Breakfast was fine & plentiful. I must say the staff was excellent; helpful & polite.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Columbiana, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Check in was easy, Staff very nice. Room was very roomy and clean. The beds were very comfortable. Bathroom was very clean also. The breakfast was good. We were only there one night. We were very satisfied.

• Liked — Convienence to sporting event
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
#5 of 14 in Salem
Hampton Inn Salem
#1 of 14 in Salem
4.5 of 5 stars 271 reviews
La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem

Been to Comfort Suites Inn at Ridgewood Farm? Share your experiences!