“Okay Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn Salem East-Electric Road
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We stayed at this HI on our way to Atlanta. We were not going to stop but due to an accident and holdup on the highway, we had to make last minute reservations at this HI. (I thought this property was right off I-81. It is in-town Salem, about 5 miles from the highway. I called the HI reservation line and they refused to switch my reservation to another hotel because it was after 6 p.m. I will deal with that issue separately with HI)
This hotel is okay. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite on the 6th floor. the room was older and not as impressive as the newer HI properties. But, the bedroom is very very large and the bathroom was nice. The kitchen was not full size like other properties and the living room was very small. The furniture was older but well kept. That pretty much describes the entire property. Older but well kept. The room was always very clean.

Breakfast was very good and the woman working the breakfast was extremely pleasant.

All in all, this was a trustworthy choice!

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank ambudd

Reviewed July 31, 2007

We made a reservation well in advance for this hotel and arrived late in the afternoon after our trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway. The lobby was very inviting and lovely furnished and decorated. There were two very young girls behind the front desk and I was hardly greeted when I walked in. Upon my friendly inquiry if I would get an upgrade (I am a Hilton Gold member and I always ask) the girls refused in a brutal manner, saying also that the hotel was full.

The room was good, had dark furniture and a microwave and medium size refrigerator. A supermarket is close by, just a short drive to the other side of the road. It was very hot that day, so we didn’t use the sitting area outside or around the swimming pool.

The business center is a separate room, can be opened with the room key and has a computer and printer. After I checked my mail I tried the Hilton reservation website and other sites and in this hotel there were still plenty rooms available that night. (There was also space in the limited parking place at the entrance, so I already suspected that the hotel wasn’t fully booked) I told the girls behind the desk this fact and one of them said that their computer system told differently. It is not the fact that I didn’t get the upgrade, but I just don’t like it that they lied to me twice. They could have brought the message in a much more forthcoming way, although it is hardly to blame them, because they were so young. (But I do blame it on the management; it is not a good policy to have young and cheap but rather inexperienced and perhaps untrained people working together at the front desk.)

The breakfast is the morning was very good, with many items to choose from. It is nice that in this Hampton the ‘hot items’ are not frozen microwave stuff. There was a friendly woman working in the breakfast area. At the front desk there was again a very young girl and I noticed that guests had to wait a long time before questions were answered/issues were solved, have not seen any supervisor during our stay.

It was a pleasant stay, but the management could do much better on front desk staff policy

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BA-traveler
Reviewed July 31, 2007

This is a solid Hampton Inn location, although parking is a little unusual. The front parking lot fills rather quickly on the weekends, so you have to drive down the street and maneuver through the hospital parking lot (look for the Oncology sign and turn right) to get to a bigger back parking lot. There you go across an enclosed bridge to the 4th floor. My friends and I joked that it looked like an airlock out of a sci-fi movie. The breakfast area is average sized for a Hampton with very helpful attendants. Coffee was fresh whenever I visited the lobby. Bathroom in the room we were in was starting to show its age a little, but was clean. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank RedDragonMartialArts
Reviewed July 9, 2007

I'd like to give this a bit more than a "3" because we had a really pleasant stay. It's just that I've become spoiled by the brand new Hampton's we've stayed in lately. But this WAS above average, in many ways, and we'd stay there again, without question. The beds were excellent, as expected. The location was great ... a tad out of the way but not a problem at all.

For delicious food I'd highly recommend "419" as we ate both meals there. It can be expensive or moderate, depending on how you order.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank Sooz2
Reviewed October 29, 2006

We recently stayed at this Hampton Inn during a fall color trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We were met by friendly, attentive staff. The room was clean, and everything was in good working order.

The breakfast area was clean and well equipped. There is a nice outdoor patio area (but the weather was a bit too cold to use it). The food consisted of the typical Hampton Inn spread, and the selection was pretty good.

Parking is a bit tight on the hotel lobby level, but there is additional parking in a lot at a higher elevation with a bridge to the hotel.

This hotel represents a fair value, and I would stay at there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RichTrip
Reviewed October 1, 2006

I stayed here while visiting my son for a family weekend at his college - Roanoke College in Salem, VA. The college is about ten minutes from downtown Salem, right next to Lewis-Gale Memorial Hospital. Check in was swift and the desk clerk was friendly and made sure to point out the hot drinks and cookies and the hospitatilty area for the breakfast in the morning. Behind the counter was a Virginia Tech banner - a foretaste of things to come!

Parking does get tight but the hotel has an overflow parking lot behind the hotel with a walkway to the hotel and a secure entrance into the fourth floor.

The room was very nice with wonderful beds dressed with down pillows and airy down comforters. There was a microwave and mini-fridge with freezer hidden in the armoire along with a large tv and video player. All worked fine. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was standard issue hotel with the standard amenities - shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. The mini-coffee pot was on the bathroom ledge also. The built in hairdryer worked as expected. There was an ironing board and iron in the closet.

After a good nights sleep I walked downstairs to the breakfast area and found myself in a sea of orange - Virginia Tech parents and alumni all sporting the college's interesting colors of orange and maroon ( who picked out that combo??) and ready for the afternoon game. While I was worried about late night revelry that night, my fears were not met and I heard not a sound from the rooms on either side or the hallway. Both nights I heard the desk clerks turning people away because the hotel was booked up, but I didn't hear anything.

The breakfast was good, a combination of good for you and fattening both. One could choose yogurt, cereal, fruit, sausage, egg patties, biscuits, pastry, bagel or muffins. Sunday morning the sausage patty was exchanged for sausage gravy. There was also juices, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. The area was large enough for the full hotel but there were convenient trays so I took my meal up to my room and used the table there.

One thing I really liked was the free local newspaper, even on Sundays. I'm tired of USA today at hotels - I don't like the feeling that I could be anywhere, I want a touch of the local.

Check out was also easy. Bill was slipped under the door and I just turned in my key card at the desk and told the clerk what room I had stayed in. We will most likely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank toobusytoday
Reviewed July 29, 2006

I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn-Salem for a 4-day business trip. The front desk clerk greeted me promptly and courteously. She made sure I knew there were complimentary cookies & coffee in the lobby for an evening snack, and that there would be complimentary breakfast daily 6-10am. I didn't have a chance to grab breakfast while I was there. I really enjoy having a microwave and mini-fridge during these business trips. I will absolutely stay at this hotel during my next business trip to Roanoke.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank RichmondVA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
#1 of 14 in Salem
Hampton Inn & Suites Roanoke Airport
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 14 in Salem

Been to Hampton Inn Salem East-Electric Road? Share your experiences!