“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Salem
Whitsett, North Carolina
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

First time in Roanoke area. Hotel convenient to all points of interest and great accommodations.
Hotel staff very helpful, rooms clean . Hotel staff were eager to point out place of interest and travel directions. Made our trip much more enjoyable and pleasant. Thank you Hampton for your assistance.

Room Tip: Salem nice place to sightsee and when there try Mac and Bob for a great meal. Service Food and pric...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Annandale, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at this Hampton Inn for an overnight business trip. I'd stayed here before and it's a nice hotel--clean, friendly staff, comfortable. The only drawback on this stay is that I could smell the cigarette smoke from a smoking room in my non-smoking room. The smell became so bad during the night that it woke me up. Since it was the strongest in the bathroom (which I thought was a bit odd), I closed the door and that seemed to help. But, bright and early I was awakened by the smoky smell again. It was a bit frustrating as a non-smoker whose allergies are irritated by cigarette smoke.

The location of the hotel, however, is fantastic. It's within walking distance of several restaurants and after a long drive to get here it's nice to be able to take a little walk to grab a bite to eat. And, as I said, the staff is incredibly friendly. They always have a smile on their faces and are more than willing to help with suggestions, directions, etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have stayed at this property several times, mostly when I am in town to coach a youth baseball team in the many tournaments Salem hosts, but also when I had a minor procedure done at Lewis Gale and to attend a concert. I have written positive reviews about this place before, because this is an excellent property with a very friendly and helpful staff. I travel a lot and when possible, I usually choose Hilton brand hotels and this is one of the best. On this trip, what started out as a little glitch reinforced all the positive things I love about this place.

I booked the reservation on-line through the Hilton Honors website on August 8th for August 11th, or so I thought. When I arrived at the hotel after being in the sun for 10 hours coaching 16 year olds at Kiwanis Field, they could not find my reservation. I looked up the confirmation number on my smart phone (which by the way the 16 year olds had to teach me how to use) and the front desk clerk typed it in and said the reservation was for the 8th and since I didn't show up they had charged my card. I was pretty sure I had typed in the correct date, but I also know that sometimes if things dont go perfectly, a website can default to the current date. She was extremely helpful. She took my information and wrote a note for the manager and gave me a number to call Hilton Honors since I had booked through them to see if maybe there was a glitch in the system.

Well, on the very next business day, I got an email from the hotel manager saying he would be glad to adjust the charge since I stayed on the 11th. I don't know for sure if the mistake was mine or the fault of a glitch in the website. But I can tell you one thing, I already loved this place, but this really convinced me that I will certainly stay there in the future anytime I visit the Salem/Roanoke area.

I was really tired that night and didn't want to drive, so the staff arranged a cab to take me to and from my favorite Salem restaurant, the Blue Apron. It is really nice to find such a world class restaurant in the middle of a relatively small community. If you have doubts, look up the reviews of the Blue Apron on TripAdvisor, or other sites. It truly is world class.

If you are looking for a very clean and well appointed property with a super staff to stay when visiting the Salem/Roanoke area, give this place a try. And if you want to walk to dinner, my favorite Chinese restaurant in all of SW VA, the Sechuan, is just across the street. Not a buffett, but a full service restaurant with excellent food and service.

Room Tip: They have a variety of choices...two beds, King, King with Jacuzzi, egtc
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

One of the finest Hampon Inn's we've found in this country. Such a nice surprise. Check In was a breeze. The front desk was very nice offering area dining options. The hotel grounds are splendid, nicely landscaped and very inviting. The hotel interior is beautifully decorated. You could spend hours discovering all the great artwork on display. It's like a fine art gallery. The pool area was clean and the water nice (just a bit chilly). The free breakfast was typical Hampton Inn excellent. Free wifi worked great. We love Virginia and the Blue Ridge Parkway, and we'll never forget our visit to this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Asheville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here one night on a long drive home to Asheville. We didn't have a reservation but a very nice room was found for us with no fuss. The room was largish and comfortable. The free breakfast was better than most free breakfasts and as good as a lot of bought ones. Plenty of oomf in the coffee and decent variety on the buffet. On the downside, there are only a couple of restaurants within walking distance for dinner, none of which we fancied but, as the hotel is set back 100 yards from a main road, it was easy to take a 3 mile drive to an excellent Irish pub which I have reviewed separately.
I think that main advantage of this hotel is its proximity to a hospital but we would definitely do an overnighter here again.

Room Tip: As always, the higher the floor the better. Top floor rooms have a pleasant though not stunning vie...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank johnmnzAsheville_NC
Conway, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We have been staying at Hampton Inns across this country for many years, and had the pleasure of staying at this particular location on two different dates during our recent vacation. We found, not only our room, but the grounds, lobby area, pool, and breakfast area, to be in very clean and inviting shape. The staff were all very friendly and accomodating and there is no doubt, should we ever be in the Salem, Virginia area again, we will be staying here! Take it from people who have stayed at many of this chain's locations, this one is a winner.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Can "ditto" most comments for this hotel: comfortable, clean, and lots of coffee available in lobby and in-room. We opted for the "suite" which includes a large jacuzzi tub. Suite includes larger living room area with small kitchenette setting: microwave, table for two, and fridge. You can "take out" the included breakfast buffet and enjoy in room. For a special treat, you can buy plain ol' Epsom salts at the local CVS or Walgreens for a great hot tub soak.

Room Tip: We stayed on third floor facing the road. Our neighbors were quiet..and luckily there was minimal r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lv2travelVirginia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
#1 of 14 in Salem
Comfort Suites Salem
Comfort Suites Salem
#5 of 14 in Salem
4.0 of 5 stars 196 reviews

Been to Hampton Inn Salem East-Electric Road? Share your experiences!