“Satisfied...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dixie Caverns

Dixie Caverns
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Salem
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided tours through these caverns that highlight a large number of still-growing stalagmites and stalactites.
US
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Satisfied...”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Dixie Caverns is a small cave but it has fairly many things to see for the size. We saw resident bats which were very tiny and furry, almost the size of a golfball.There were hand rails by the stairs and walkways which made me feel more comfortable (since I was wearing shoes that were prone to sliding.) Constant 55 degrees inside the cave was satisfying. We were the last group to go-in before they close. The tour guide was very friendly, gave us a 45-minute tour and filled us with information about some details of the cave and other stories but failed to focus on the cave itself, he neglected to mention the names of rock formations found inside the cave. Despite that, overall, it was a satisfying visit. Their shop sells a lot of nice stones and the prices are very reasonable. Our son enjoyed his stone souvenirs.

Visited December 2012

Salem, Virginia
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Local gem!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

I took my visiting son, his wife along with my daughter and three grandkids. The young man doing our tour was a trip! Dixie Caverns is worth a visit for certain. An available $3 off discount is easily found on line which allowed our group entrance for under $50. The tour lasted about one hour and everyone enjoyed being inside the "mountain". At 55 degrees year round the cave was warm considering the wind and cold outside. Worth the trip!

1 Thank George S
Princeton, West Virginia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“cave Caveat!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Visit a cave with your family. People have lived in caves in the past and still do. Check out all the interesting thing within but dress warmly, it is cold down under!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Expensive, but short, tour”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I love caves and caverns, but after the tour of Dixie Caverns, I felt like I'd just burned a good bit of money. The tours were around $20 per person (kinda high, but I was excited about seeing the caverns), but only lasted an hour taking the same route in and out. The tour guide was also rather unenthusiastic. The store was cute, though, and offered a neat assortment of run of the mill magnets, awesome sliced stone windchimes, and other random things.

Drive a few extra miles and see the Safari Park.

Visited May 2012
Newark, Delaware, USA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Cool tour for a hot day”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

During a recent trip to Salem, I took my two kids on a tour of Dixie Caverns. It wasn't busy when we were there, so it was just the three of us in our tour group. Our guide (Jake/Steve) was friendly and knowledgeable about the caverns. He was also funny, which my kids really appreciated. They still talk about the chicken wire and duct tape :)
The kids also enjoyed the shop/flea market at the caverns. They both found some Hot Wheels they wanted and they had a good time looking at all the stuff for sale.
We will definitely return the next time we are in Salem!

Visited September 2012

Been to Dixie Caverns? Share your experiences!