“Horror Movie Hotel”

Days Inn Ruther Glen Kings Dominion Area
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ruther Glen
Reviewed December 28, 2007

Not sure where to begin to describe the worst hotel experience ever and I have camped out with a giant ant hill a few feet away! I can handle a lot of not great situations when traveling, but this place is right out of a horror movie. In order of bad experiences:
The front desk staff were rude. The room was smelly, fiflthy, scary. You stuck to the carpet it was so dirty, there were cigarette burns on the sink counter, the toilet looked like it was taken from a 24 hour garage at a truck stop. The shower was scorching hot or freezing, no in between and had little to no pressure. The bed was hard and lumpy, the linens stained and smelled. The lock on the door was a joke, the pool a joke, but I was not laughing because this was not the cheapest place I have stayed at. We paid over $100 for this dump! No matter how tired you are, drink some coffee and drive to another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SSSNES

Reviewed October 8, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for Kings Dominion Oce 5-8. After reading the reviews I was horrified!! When my kids and I pulled up the outside didnt seem to nice. After checking in with the lady at the counter we went to out room and to my surprise was really nice. The first 2 days were good then on out last night the toilet overflowed and the lights in the bathroom wouldnt come on unless you flick the switch 10 times.. The hot breakfast was okay but you had the same choices everyday notihng else. Only thing they gave you to drink was milk or coffee. The woman cooking used too much season salt on EVERYTHING. Who does that??!!?? We had a pet stay with us. They tried to charge me $10 but in the room there is a sign stating dogs under 10 pounds is $5 so I had to get the acorrected.. Other than that not too shabby.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank disneylover24
Reviewed August 28, 2007

Me and my family decided to go away for the weekend so we chose a hotel as close as we could find to Kingsdominion,and we chose the Days inn pretty afforable hot breakfast pool microwave etc, all these were the amenties we were looking for first of all the air barely worked the toilet was nasty toilet seat lid did not stay on, the carpet needed to be cleaned the refridgerator needed to be cleaned the hall floor felt as if you were sinking in. The breakfast staff was very friendy but there were only 2 cooks stood in line for about 40 min before i placed my order

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank msunderstood
Reviewed July 24, 2007

The hotel staff was very friedly. rooms was clean. Breakfast was very good. (hot cooked breafast)

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank kavyeshptl
Reviewed July 19, 2007

My family and I took a weekend to visit Kings Dominion.
I must start by saying that everyone at the hotel appeared to be nice.
The problem I had was with the cleanliness of the inside restaurant and the hotel room. Although breakfast was free, we could not eat in the restaurant because the carpet was disgustingly dirty. Non of the surrounding restaurants had sanitation scores visible and we had to drive 12 to 18 miles to the nearest Walmart and any other store. The carpet was the same in each hotel room, which made us feel uncomfortable about taking off your shoes or walking around in our socks. The room was overall tidy & neat; except for the bottom of the shower curtain being dirty black.
This hotel is ok, if you don't care about appearance and luxury.
I looked every where online to find out about things like this, but no one reported anything to this nature. If I had read a least one review that said this, we would not have made any reservations at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank 4andHumble
Reviewed April 12, 2007

Me and my family were looking at some place close to kings Dominion to stay for a couple of nights and we researched this hotel on tripadvisor before we made reservations.

Overall this place was better than we expected. The lady at the front desk was very nice (Clara) and helpful. The room itself was very clean even though the bathroom was very small and was in need of an upgrade. It was clean though. The give coupons for a hot cooked breakfast that are redeemable from 6 to 9 down in the resteraunt that had 4 choices. The food was very good and you are given a plateful plus all the coffee and tea you want.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Jetssssss
Reviewed October 29, 2006

When I booked this hotel, it was kind of on high hopes. There were some bad reviews, but the most recent review was seemingly good. So I went ahead with booking, and I am glad I did.

We stayed here for two nights, late October, for the sole purpose of visiting Kings Dominion two days in a row. We arrived late on Friday evening, almost midnight to be exact, and the lady at the front desk was very quick, polite, and informative. She handed me our breakfast tickets and asked that we pick up ones for our second breakfast the next day.

Our room was clean, did not smell of smoke, and was exactly what we had asked for. I requested a refrigerator/microwave, and sure enough there was one there, plugged in and turned on for us to use. The TV was a newer model, and a nice size, and there were a couple movie channels to choose from. The next morning we got up and went to see what our "hot breakfast" was all about. They give you a ticket with 4 options (like eggs, toast and bacon...or sausage gravy with biscuit, or pancakes, bacon and grits...etc). The food was good to me personally, although it may not fill up a healthy eater. It filled me up fine, but I'm not a big breakfast person. Throughout our stay the staff was friendly and helpful, and the grounds and our room seemed clean.

I had previously read that there were many trucks in this area, and that is true. However, like the previous reviewer mentioned, the truck stops are far away enough that it doesn't interrupt your stay, you just end up driving around many trucks at times when coming or going. Overall, I'd have only two complaints, and they are very minor. The drain in the shower was a little old and dirty looking, although not enough to cause a problem. Also, the cleaning crew did not speak English, so they didn't exactly understand what I was trying to tell them when they came to the door, so our bed didn't get made one day. Which was fine with us, I'm sure if we had mentioned it to the front desk, they would have made sure it was done. But we did not mind.

Overall, for the price, I think you get a great value with this hotel. If you're looking for a resort, or a 3-4 star hotel, look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a clean, friendly place to stay, with a nice breakfast, I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Econo Lodge Ruther Glen
Econo Lodge Ruther Glen
#2 of 6 in Ruther Glen

Been to Days Inn Ruther Glen Kings Dominion Area? Share your experiences!