“Nice Stay in a Small Town”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottesville - Ruckersville
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ruckersville
Reviewed August 5, 2010

As a seasoned business traveler, I spend a lot of nights in hotels. Often, I stay at Best Western and this one rates as one of the best. It is a clean, modern property with a friendly staff and better than average complimentary breakfast. My business trip had me staying 5 nights, but I will return to that detail in a moment.

The property is new, and the decor is very pleasant. The rooms are comfortable, with comfy beds, mini fridge and microwave as well. It is pretty quiet, has a large parking lot, and has a small shopping center that surrounds it. Each morning they serve a complimentary breakfast with belgian waffles you can make, Jimmy Dean sausage sandwiches, cereal, yogurt, coffee, juice, etc. There is a Dunkin Donuts within walking distance and Best Western gets a fresh delivery each morning. The attendant does a wonderful job keeping the food stocked and the dining room clean.

As with every hotel, you have to take the good with the bad. Just a couple of things that can cloud the positive experience, that could be easily resolved. First, this is a non-smoking hotel, which is great, however, those who do smoke insist on smoking right in front of the entrance. The sliding doors open and you walk into the stench and and cloud of cigarette smoke, with the trash can holding about 300 butts in sand. It would be nice to have an area for those who insist on smoking with perhaps benches about 50 yards away from the entrance. Secondly, please be aware that they require a $20 deposit for each night you stay. I am accustomed to a $50 deposit at other hotels and fully expected that. However, they put a $100 hold on my credit card, for my stay in addition to the room being fully paid in advance by my employer. SInce I spent weeks at a time on the road, I budget for each hotel stay, as well as plan meals and expenses accordingly. After three nights at the property, (and no additional charges) I requested that $60 be released from my credit card. The assistant General Manager replied that she was releasing the entire hold on my card as a courtesy to me. On Friday, when I checked out, I asked the desk clerk if my funds were released, and she said there was nothing on my bill so she assumed the funds were released. The following Saturday, I was on the phone with my bank asking why they had not released the funds. They said they had not received a release from Best Western, and would require a signed document from them, faxed and then within 24 hours the funds would be released. So, another phone call back to the Best Western, assuring me they would handle it. It was Monday, (three days after I left) that the funds were released.

I would suggest that a $50 deposit per stay should be in order, and if charges exceed that, an additional $50 could be added. All in all, give it a shot, it was a nice property

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank debbiesky

Reviewed February 1, 2010

I've never written a review but after spending 2 nights at this hotel, I felt the need to do so. I usually stay at Hampton Inns as they are reliably clean & well maintained. I like to know what to expect.

The Best Western Charlottesville Airport exceeded my expectations. The rooms are exactly as they show in the photos. They're huge with extra high ceilings. The double queen was large enough for my family of five and we never felt cramped. I usually am grossed out by the carpets in hotels. The carpet was extremely clean. My socks remained white on the bottoms!!

THe breakfast was wonderful with fresh cut up fruit (grapefruit, etc.), waffles, Jimmy Dean BE&C sandwiches, Dunken Donuts Doughnuts, and other usual items.

The staff was very helpful, polite, and kind.

There's a Dunkin Donuts in the parking lot, along with two small restaurants (pizza & a diner).

Hope this helps another mom looking for a nice, clean place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank cofeluvr
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Stayed for one night at the Best Western in Ruckersville for a U2 concert. I will first start with the adventure of getting there which if you are coming down Route 29 (Seminole Trail) from the North you may wanna pay attention for. First off, when programming your GPS with the address use: 5920 Seminole Trail, Barboursville, VA 22923 . The website lists the hotel as in Ruckersville but when you try to put that into your GPS it won't take it neither will mapquest. The 2nd thing I noticed with my GPS was since I had U-turns on my list of things to avoid my GPS tried to take me down a gravel road in a roundabout way of getting to the hotel....for some reason if you are coming in from the North the GPS will consider the turn into the hotel as a U-turn which in reality it's not. The hotel is located right behind a Dunkin' Donuts which can easily see from the road.

Now onto the stay. Check in went well, since we were in town for the U2 concert the hotel was booked full and we had to wait a few minutes in line while other folks were getting checked in. I must say, for the hotel being full there was barely any noise the entire night...you would've thought we were the only ones in there it was that quiet. The bed was very nice and the room super clean. The bathroom was just big enough and the room had a mini fridge and microwave as well. One of my only gripes was the internet situation. No wireless internet in the room....only wired which I had to borrow a cable from the front desk that was so short I had to place my laptop near the wall. They did have wireless internet in the lobby. This was only a minor complaint since I barely got on the internet.

The hotel is in a rural location but there is a Sheetz within 3 minutes where you can get made to order food 24 hours a day and really pickup anything you may need. The hotel is about 10-15 minutes from Charlottesville as well. I would fully recommend it for a cheap alternative to some of the more expensive hotels in downtown Charlottesville.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank banjo60
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed here last weekend based on the very good reviews on TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed! I usually do not choose the lower-end hotel chains but everything in Charlottesville was either booked or very expensive. We paid only $107 for a large room with two queen size beds. Rooms and common areas were very clean and new looking (a priority for me). Pool was decent and surrounded by a high fence so you could not tell it was next to the parking lot. The gym was one of the best I've seen at any hotel, even better than some at four-diamond Marriotts! A good location too - about 15 minutes to Charlottesville and 15-20 minutes to several wineries. There is not much directly near the hotel, however - just a Dunkin Donuts and Lord Hardwicke's (which looked kind of icky to me) in the same parking lot. The free breakfast was just okay - mainly just breads, cold cereals and fruit. They could use some eggs or other hot items.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Couldn't find a hotel in Charlottesville and ended up in Ruckersville. What a great turn of events. One of the nicest hotels of any brand that I've ever stayed in. Immaculately clean. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, the beds where fantastic. The fitness center in the basement is without a doubt the nicest and most complete fitness center I've ever seen in any hotel. The pool area was clean and refreshing. The complimentary breakfast was more than adequate and the serving area was kept clean and spotless.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2008

We stayed at the Best Western for one night (we were in town for a funeral, unfortunately).

Overall, the hotel is a solid, comfortable and clean place to stay. The bed was comfortable (king-size), and the shower was nice (good water pressure). Also, my husband and I were really impressed with the number of cable channels available. Finally, it was nice having that extra blanket in the closet (it was really cold during our stay.).

A few things could really "bump" this place up in terms of ratings:

1) Instead of styrofoam cups for coffee (our room had a coffee maker and a refrigerator (nice touch) in the room), give guests real coffee mugs and glasses.

2) Free WiFi/Internet in each room would be great.

3) A hot breakfast. We stayed at a Homewood Suites in Falls Church, VA, and they provide omelettes and hashbrowns; we keep going back everytime we're in the area. Getting breakfast included is a plus in my book; having hot breakfast would take it to that next level.

4) Little extras like mouthwash, an extra toilet paper roll and maybe a shower cap and sewing kit in the bathroom would be cool.

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed October 13, 2008

This is a lovely hotel, very attractive, only 2 years old. Our room is large, spotless & quite nice. Desk staff are very professional. Nice location, close to Charlottesville. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruckersville
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesv...
#12 of 35 in Charlottesville
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Charlottesville - UVA, VA
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson,...
#6 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hampton Inn Charlottesville
Hampton Inn Charlottesville
#10 of 35 in Charlottesville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte...
#16 of 35 in Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
Comfort Inn & Suites Orange

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottesville - Ruckersville? Share your experiences!