“Good option while driving through VA”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottesville - Ruckersville
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ruckersville
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The rooms were clean and comfortable. They were not unique, but they were priced right and convenient to the highway. Food was a little farther away than we thought, but it wasn't too much of an issue. Good breakfast options in the morning

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were here briefly after a UVA ballgame. We found the place to be clean, comfortable, and accomodating. The beds were especially comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. A good place to stay if you are heading north on 29.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a UVA football game, only because everything in town at a reasonable price was booked. It turned out to be a very nice place and I would make a point of returning here rather than looking for a place in town. The staff is friendly, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The fan for the heating system was a little loud. The continental breakfast was ok but not exceptional.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel 4 times now at several days each stay. Staff is always friendly and rooms are clean. It's very convenient to Charlottesville and the airport. Fitness center is well equipped. Could use a fan in the bathroom to control steam buildup. Understand they will be upgrading the free breakfast. Will be back to report.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
jillianp1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottesville - Ruckersville, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Returning Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and continued patronage. In reading your comments, I want to assure you I will have maintenance check into the fan from your room. There are exhaust fans that run through the bathrooms and vent out through the roof. This is a newer alternative to the older light switch fans that are louder and not as effecient. It sounds as if the fan may not have been operating properly and we will follow up immediately. We have upgraded our breakfast buffet to include some new hot items, which replaced the breakfast sandwiches. Please let us know what you think of the improvements on your next stay!

Jillian M. Peatross

Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is not that close to the airport. Right on Route 29 about 12 miles from downtown Charlottesville. We came there after visiting James Madison's home Montpelier and it is about 10 miles from the home. King bed comfortable. Clean. Helpful friendly staff. Would stay there again. For a nice restaurant I would recommend the Savour which is about 5 or 6 miles down Route 29. We had the 3 course meal for $33 and it was worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We greatly appreciate your taking the time to provide a survey regarding your recent stay. I noticed your feedback regarding the hotel location and just wanted to clarify. The Charlottesville Airport is a smaller more rural airport and, therefore, there are not any hotels right at the airport property. Our location is one of two that are in closest proximity to the airport. We are pleased that our staff provided you with great service and we hope that you come back to visit us again soon!

Jillian M. Peatross

Reviewed July 8, 2012

While house hunting in Charlottesville, my husbands company paid for an all expense paid trip for 1, possibly 2 nights at this hotel. Our first impression seemed that the front desk and overall hotel was delightful and welcoming.I believe in being fair, and our greeting was warm and genuine. Once we entered our room however, everything went down hill. First, we found dirty socks on the floor next to the window - very visible and not hidden under a bed or anything. This could have easily been forgiven, but it didn't stop there. Second, upon using our microwave we found the glass plate covered in food that had spilled out and not cleaned up, and dried on...obviously had been there awhile, which then lead me to question how often/efficiently the room itself is cleaned. Third, by the time bedtime rolled around we put our kids into the bed, we found an absolute horrific surprise - blood spots and pubic hair in the linens! (Upon further inspection, we realized that neither of the 2 beds linens had been changed.) At that point, we went to the front desk immediately and told the girl our situation. She was helpful, but probably should not have shared with me the fact that this was not the first or second complaint she had, had that evening stating similar issues other guests were having! I knew she meant well, but it was not comforting to hear that other rooms were in this condition as well. She moved us right away, but our feelings of being unsettled were quite heavy. We knew that in the morning we would speak to management right away to settle this issue, as all of this was just too much to overlook and not be compensated for. So, the next morning my husband spoke with the hotel general manager and was told we would be compensated for another night, free of charge. I felt very good about this, and truly believed that the hotel management was doing their very best to redeem themselves, and committed to keeping their guests happy and satisfied. I thought we could finish out our stay, rather than move to another hotel, and go through that hassle, and we could start fresh with a clean slate. Please let me be clear, THIS REVIEW NEVER WOULD HAVE EVEN EXISTED, HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THE HORRIBLE MIS-COMMUNICATION THAT THE HOTEL MANAGEMENT MADE. The following morning when we went to check out we found out that we had been charged for the previous night, but the hotel manager had been "kind enough" to give us 25% off our charge. Obviously, this left us quite upset as my husband had been told we would be staying complimentary to make up for the absolutely deplorable conditions of the room from the first night. Being more level headed and less emotional than he was at that time, I assumed this had been a mix up and asked to speak with the general manager myself. We went into her office, and not only did she come off very offensive, but somewhat sarcastic and belittling as well. I was blown away by her lack of care, concern, and total lack of customer service. Having worked many years with Marriott hotels, and knowing their very high standards, I could hardly fathom how this woman even had a JOB! She had represented her hotel so poorly, it was astounding. Overall, she had stated that there was nothing she could do to reverse the charges, and had believed that a 25% off of the room was compensation enough for our troubles. WOW?! Really? I wonder how she would have felt to put her loved one or CHILD into a bed with blood and body hair in it?! Had I known this to begin with, I would have gladly put our $100+ towards a more reputable hotel with much higher standards. After getting angry and upset, I let her know that I would not pay for this night nor would I leave the hotel until this matter was resolved. After lots of back and forth and telling me she could not and would not contact her manager over this issue, which she made clear was very petty, she finally gave in and contacted her manager. Amazingly, our charges were reversed, we did not pay for the room and when she returned she had the nerve to tell us that clearly the hotel could not accommodate us as guests and to not come back in the future! Never in my life would I dream of coming back!!! Sadly, this hotel has not only lost guests that would have gladly forgiven all of the mistakes and conditions if the management had been more customer service oriented, but also a very profitable account that my husbands company has had with Best Western for years.

Please, fellow travelers, read the reviews for the hotel, and take them with a grain of salt. If I could yell from the beautiful mountaintops of Charlottesville to avoid this hotel at all costs - I certainly would!

Room Tip: Check your linens, people! There should be creases in your linens from where they were previously fo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
10  Thank JanelleSmith
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I was truly dismayed to read this review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I can appreciate and understand how you could be upset by the events as you perceived them. Our hotel prides itself on being one of the select distinguished properties that piloted the newest Ultra Clean program and we are consistently one of the top performing properties in the brand in both cleanliness and service. However, we are not perfect and mistakes do occur. Unfortunately, I was unable follow up as to the cleanliness of your room as you were occupying the room for 5 hours prior to reporting any issues to the front desk. I also was not aware of any other rooms having cleanliness complaints or issues from that evening. The front desk clerk may have been a little frazzled as we were in the middle of a severe storm that put 3 million plus people without power. I have never spoke with you or your husband and to my understanding, my Manager on Duty working that weekend advised your husband she would see what she could do regarding some compensation after his request for a free night. Apparently, there was a miscommunication. As the hotel did immediately move you to another room upon you notifying us of an issue, she felt that partial compensation was fair as you did stay 2 nights in a clean & comfortable room without issue. Again, it is unfortunate that the situation escalated the the point of my manager feeling she could no longer satisfy your needs. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review. Please contact me directly should I be able to offer any further assistance or if you have any other concerns.

Jillian Peatross

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed one night after a late flight into Dulles, in order to visit Monticello the next day. Arrived late at night and had to call front desk twice to get exact location as GPS was sending me about a mile away. Room was clean, bathroom was clean, very quiet and hotel seemed full the next morning. Breakfast buffet with good variety and friendly server. Good value and an easy drive to Monticello or Charlottesville.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CaliforniaDaisy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruckersville
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesv...
#12 of 35 in Charlottesville
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Charlottesville - UVA, VA
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson,...
#6 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hampton Inn Charlottesville
Hampton Inn Charlottesville
#10 of 35 in Charlottesville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlottesville North
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte...
#16 of 35 in Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlo...
#1 of 35 in Charlottesville
Comfort Inn & Suites Orange

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charlottesville - Ruckersville? Share your experiences!