“A port in a storm”

Blue Ridge Cafe & Catering Co.
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Ruckersville
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Chef Shawn Hayes, owner and chef of the Blue Ridge Cafe, has a real passion for food and creativity. He believes that good food, well prepared and offered at a reasonable price keeps his customers coming back. And, it's true! Virginians and travelers have been enjoying Shawn's cooking since he and his wife, Rita, opened the Cafe's doors in 1995. Dreaming of being a chef in the hospitality industry since age 12, Chef Hayes pursued his ambition and received a degree from the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York in 1988. Since then, he and his family have dedicated days, nights and weekends to ensuring the success and quality of their business. Rita assists Shawn wherever she is needed - from the kitchen to catering and menu planning. And, the Hayes' daughter, Elizabeth, actually christened the cafe with her birth just 12 hours before the scheduled opening. The first banquet room was opened in 1997 just after their son, Nicholas, was born. Both children have grown up working with and around food at the cafe and catered functions. His years of experience in the field, and being in the right place at the right time, enabled Chef Shawn to make his dream come true. He enjoys preparing a variety of different foods, but his specialties are American fare and Italian cuisine. In addition to his role as Chef, Shawn is also involved in every other aspect of the Cafe, including managing the catering and banquets, the business office and designing the menus. Shawn and the Cafe are also known for their support of and dedication to the local community. The Blue Ridge Cafe is located on Route 29 (south bound lane) in Ruckersville, VA, just north of Charlottesville. Surrounded by the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains, visitors to the Cafe are sure to enjoy the atmosphere. Whether for lunch, dinner or socializing over drinks and appetizers, the Cafe offers its customers delicious food, a full-service bar and a wide variety of Virginia wines. The Blue Ridge Cafe is the perfect place for gathering family and friends. So, if you'd like to experience Chef Shawn's knack for making even simple foods spectacular, stop by the restaurant or call to book your next catered affair today!
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I, too, stopped at Blue Ridge Cafe just before Sandy. I have no complaints. It fed me, although I was disappointed that the food was not the authentic southern country ("soul") food I expected.

"Country Fried Steak" made me think I would have what my mother and aunt used to make in Southside Virginia. Instead, I had Chicken Fried Steak that could not compare to what we have all around us in Texas. It's entirely possible that I simply ordered the wrong entree.

The restaurant was clean; the employees, friendly. The plate came with a good house salad. With iced tea and tax, the cost was $14.70 for one person. Overall, I thought the price was beyond the quality.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Enjoyed my meal thoroughly. They were very accommodating in serving my gluten-free needs and still managed to make a very tasty sauce for my chicken! Extremely good service. Had a great time.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My son and I really enjoyed our dinner. We were seated quickly and the staff was very friendly. Our food was great and made from scratch. Very Cute place!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

A few days before Hurricane Sandy swept through Virginia, my wife and I went to the Lowes in Ruckersville to pick up a much needed storm related item. After inquiring with the CSR about a good place to eat, she recommended the Blue Ridge Cafe. Located on Route 29, it is set in an excellent location and is recognizable with its distinct yellow and blue facade. Parking was ample and convenient. Once inside, we were immediately seated in a country style setting. The atmosphere was pleasant and we were met with a happy and gracious, "Welcome to the Blue Ridge Cafe!" We ordered our meals and were pleasantly surprised with the ample servings. (We actually had to take some home!" Our waitress was kind, caring, attentive and welcomed us back if we were ever in the area again. Personally, I enjoyed the home-style cooking, the friendly atmosphere and the low-key environment. I highly recommend the Blue Ridge Cafe next time your in Ruckersville or when a hurrican is coming through!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We've been several times and the food is always good. The salads and fruit are fresh, good cole slaw, warm rolls, and the crab soup is really yummy. It is a broth based soup - not a heavy cream base - loaded with flavor. The fish and chips and chicken fried steak are also delicious. They have a varied menu - plenty of choices for everyone. It also has a bar side attached to it. A perfect stop along Rte 29 not far from the intersection with 33.