“Nice setting but average food and beer”

Devils Backbone Brewing Company
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Roseland
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Leesburg, Virginia
“Nice setting but average food and beer”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

During the memorial day weekend we had dinner at the brewery. The setting is fantastic and you could easily feel that you are somewhere in Colorado. It was neat to see that recycled materials were used to construct the lodge. In spite the many awards the beer received in the past years, the beer was so-so. I expected more. The witbier (not an award winning beer) however was great. The food was average and frankly for the location a bit pricy. I did not expect that in the middle of Nelson County. This all said, we had fun and enjoyed our dinner.

Amherst, Virginia
“Got Screwed”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We are building a home in the area and went back there for dinner. I had the crab cakes and my wife had the fried oysters. During the salad, the waitress stopped by to check, then called one of the "brew dogs" to come over. While we are trying to eat she is petting and messing with the dog. You could see dog hair floating in the air. Then you wonder "does she wash her hands"? Crab cakes with mango salsa and fried green tomatoes were good. Fried oysters did not exist. We both noted an awful lot of breading on them, and they were irregular shaped. I tried one and had a oyster taste but not very much meat. We initially thought they were "smalls". We then picked thru them and found very little oyster in anything. We we told the waitress there was a lot of breading and not much oyster, she said she would show it to the kitchen. When she came back and brought the check, we were still charged for them. As we got up to leave, another table was served, I went back and asked them if they were the oysters and they said yes. They were large, plump and lightly breaded, as they should be. I believe they dumped the contents of the breading pan into the frier for us and said "Oh well". You know the waitress should have seen enough of the oysters to know something was wrong. Their entire customer quality control failed. Will never go back or buy their beer.

2 Thank btaes1
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Lodge feel and brewery”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This place has a great hunting lodge feel to with with some really great beers. We came here on a brewery tour of the area and had a flight. Definitely recommend the 8 Point IPA and the Brew HAHA. The place is a large open space that is decorated with stuffed animals and outdoor scenes on the high walls. They have recycled tin roofs as part of the walls which blends to the rustic feel. There is plenty of outdoor seating. There was live bluegrass music when we were here. We sat at the bar to try beer and listen to the music. The staff is nice and attentive, but can have more of a local feel so if you have locals around, they definitely get the attention of the bar staff. The locals and off duty staff definitely feel like they own the place though which puts you off a bit. One lady asked if we could move down several seats for here friends and before i could even answer was moving my beer and water down. Being from Asheville, I understand the locals and local brewery scene, but be cool to all. Overall I would rate it a very cool place to stop for beer and music. There was an outdoor stage and they were adding on when we were here so it is growing too.

Visited May 2013
Staunton, Virginia
“It pains me to say this....”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We live in Staunton and go to DB regularly....probably once every six weeks or so. It is about an hour drive from our house, but we have always justified the drive because the beer and food are so good.....until today. I know it's Memorial Day weekend, I know you're busy. I'm pretty sure this is an annual holiday, so preparation is key.

We were actually sat right away in the bar area. Our server rushed over and the rushing never stopped. As soon as we sat down, she wanted our drink order. As soon as we gave her the drink order, she wanted to know what we wanted to eat....our menus were still closed. We asked for a couple of minutes, she was back in 30 seconds, beverages in hand, again asking for our order. A TOTAL turnoff 2 minutes in.

I'm not sure what they have done to the menu, but they offered a variety of burgers, a bbq sandwich, a roast beef sandwich and a turkey sandwich. Meh....none of this was appetizing to me. Unfortunately, neither was paying $36 for a full rack of ribs or $26 for prime rib (daily specials). I skipped lunch.

There was something plastic in my daughter's nachos, plastic wrap on my husband's bread (not the correct bread he ordered), we were offered dessert from Speedy Susie 30 seconds after lunch hit the table.

I am so disappointed in this experience. We decided when we left that we won't go back for a long while. The service, the food (and lack of choices) just really put a damper on iur afternoon. I just hope this was an "off day" and things return to normal.....soon.

1 Thank dbae27
Snellville
“Not as great as the revews”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Thought this would be great place. However, both my husband and I were disappointed. It was
loud and over decorated. I haven't seen so many dead animals since we went to Bass Pro Shop.
We had Rob's Bonedipper - it was dry and not very tasty. Thank God for the aujus, My husband ordered a mixed salad(which cost extra), It was all spinach, of which there was very little, it was on the same plate as the sandwich. Finally, our waitress was sort of rude to my husband who is a little hard of hearing. Guess we were too old for the place

2 Thank Kathy N