“Nice place to eat after a day in the snow”

Devils Backbone Brewing Company
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Roseland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Our family and our friends family (a total of 9) ate here in December and where very pleased with our meals. We had the Steve,'s spicy pub pickle which where very good, then I had the The Smokehouse Burger which was big and so good. If I get back to this area I will order it again. Everyone was pleased with their meals and the service.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

What a fantastic brewery and restaurant so well arranged and nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains! It is perfect for couples, family, children and they are prepared for the romantics, peaceful for friends reminiscing, groups out for laughs and fun, enough to keep children of all ages occupied and certainly enjoyable by all. The pricing is affordable on all levels and they do have a children's menu. Service from opening the door to enter this amazing place to leaving it with a perfect invitation to return is so sincere and top quality! I was amazed and in awe at so many different animals displayed throughout the restaurant starting with the beautiful black bear above the hostess' area. She was eager to tell me that the owner has been an avid hunter most of his life and everything that was perfectly displayed was all his captures from his travels around the world.

There is seating inside in air conditioning and outside under a covered roof with ceiling fans running to open areas and all to please every type of quest it welcomes. All the glass allows you to see the Blue Ridge Mountains all around you. We were told Steve, the owner, makes regular visits to the restaurant, but just not on this day of our first visit. It was immaculate in cleanliness too!

The food was well prepared, more tasteful than you can imagine and served at all the right temperatures. The seasonings the chef chooses on all of his/her dishes are phenomenal, but never take away from the actual taste of the meat and vegetables that have been delicately prepared. The menu offers so many delicious dishes to choose from that I wanted to try them all, but knew that I would return many times more.

The soups are delicious, but should be served in a bowl with a lip or on a plate for crackers to be placed on. It would also help with the soup not spilling in a lady's lap each time she takes a delicious taste of her soup that is served at a perfect temperature.

The salads are very fresh and crisp, healthy, arranged magically in the salad dish and the dressings were so tasty that they were not shy in making sure every bite you took was covered with your choice of dressing. My guests and I shared bites from one another's plates...wink!

Being a brewery you must try the many different groups of their beer they have for you to choose from. The variety of the 2 oz beers are served with a sheet to explain each one and what an exquisite array of the best beer ever tasted from light, medium and dark! I would recommend some tiny oyster crackers or something small to cleanse your palate between the beers so that as the beer flows over your taste buds they tingle with a new flavor from glass to glass. Oh what fun!! Yes, they serve wine and I enjoyed my glass of white semi-sweet wine from the local vineyards. It was served chilled, lightly golden and with each smell and taste the oak and fruit flavors and smells were never clouded.

The desserts could have been much better. I expected my cream puff to be flaky, the caramel warm and the filling to be chilled so that I could savor every taste and feel the texture in my mouth as I took each bite, but it was soggy, cold and rather tasteless. However, I was told that the pastry chef had been out sick and they were ordering their desserts out and keeping them chilled. They did expect her to return and our waiter, fairly new, said that she makes the desserts fresh and this was just to get them through until she returned. Our decaf coffee was brewed fresh for us and we were told that it was Greenberry Coffee, another favorite of mine!

This is an absolute must see, visit, dine and have a great time. They do so many activities for so many different holidays that i was totally knocked back! If you are visiting around the area I HIGHLY recommend Devils Backbone Brewery and Restaurant. It is suited for all ages and all group sixes. I was so astonished to learn about all the live entertainment and the New Orleans celebration that we had just missed. Look them up, because there is so very much more to learn about this wonderful place. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nice place! Beer is good and cold and the apps. are very good. Can't wait for Festy! Stop by you'll LOVE this place.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

From the outside, surprised at how it looked. Got a table and we ordered water while looking at the menu. Noticed our drinks came in plastic cups while other patrons had glasses. Asked the manager why we received plastic cups, he said we were low on clean glasses but the couple after us had glasses of water as well. Not the place to visit if you're not white!

1  Thank Randolph T
DBBC M, General Manager at Devils Backbone Brewing Company, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

You are correct in regards to you being served your water in plastic cups (along with countless other guests that same day). The rest of your ‘review’ is baseless and erroneous. As explained to you by Chad (Assistant Manager), we did find ourselves continually out of or low on water/beverage glasses. We had made the decision to reserve these glasses for ice tea or soda service. There was certainly nothing implied by the fact that you and your dining companion were served your water in a plastic cup. My parents instilled certain values in me as a child – bias, prejudices or racism not being any of those.

Also, the young lady on our staff who attempted to provide you service that particular day was, and still is, confused and distraught over this whole incident/debacle. She would probably appreciate an apology over your accusations of racism. Me, I’m fine….movin’ on.
I wish you well in your life considering your character shortcomings.
Regards

Chris Trotter
General Manager of Devils Backbone Brewing Company

Reviewed May 2, 2013

A beautiful building in a serene setting by the ski slopes with local wild dogs hanging out. Great beers and food. Just an all-around nice place to go for a relaxing afternoon. The inside is kind of lodgey. Highly recommend sitting on the patio to take in all the views.