“Great Value, Good Food”

El Rodeo
Ranked #5 of 45 Restaurants in Rocky Mount
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 29, 2012

On our second night of dining in Rocky Mount, Va we were recommended El Rodeo by a local merchant. Our experience has been to ask the locals and then check the reviews. We were NOT disappointed by this recommendation. For a Mexican restaurant I can say that this one ranks farily high amongst the ones we've tried but not the best. However, if it's value for your dollar and you don't mind the family/super-casual atmosphere this place is for you. It's not too hard to mess up beans, rice, tortillas and salsas. It's the guacamole that's the tell all here. It was very good and tested fresh. My wife is particular about her guac. Her marinated/grilled chicken was very tasty. I had a combination plate (the Guatamala, I think) and the portion was very generous. I am a large man and found that I could not finish this dish. Lastly, if you like pungent salsa (and I don't mean hot, necessarily) order the house's roasted chipotle salsa. It is smoky and spicy, a very nice compliment to the meal. The service was attentive and the food came to our table very quickly. Considering the total of the meal was about half of what we spent at Ippy's the previous night I can say that this was a much better value.

2  Thank JamestownRGW
There are newer reviews for El Rodeo

Reviewed September 21, 2012

A Mexican restuarant is a Mexican restaurant when you're in a small town... or so I thought. El Rodeo has a modern feel both inside & out-- their decor is warm & lively, and there's plenty of seating for large groups or two-somes. The bar is nice, and while we ate lunch, I'm sure it could be a fun spot at night to share a few brews or margaritas before sitting down to dinner.

We ate on the patio one gorgeous day. Lunch was delicious and fresh, and the menu extended past your "number specials," offering a variety of options for every appetite. My boyfriend enjoyed ice cold Dos Equis, and my margarita on the rocks was great. While our waitress seemed new to her job, she was kind & attentive. The experience added to our lovely afternoon.

1  Thank Mary Mac K
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Everytime I go to Rocky Mount I always eat here. I want to try something different but just cant help but always get the fajita's yummy

1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great food and fast service! The only complaint I have is during lunch they are very busy and tend to crowd the first dining room and it get's very LOUD...they should open up the second dining room when there are very busy.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is a typical Mexican restaurant; however, it does lack the great service that most Mexican restaurants have. It is hard to get the waiters to come back to check on you or get refills. The portions are large and the prices are decent. They also have a special white sauce that is served with the tortilla chips which is very yummy.