“Applebee's”

Ranked #23 of 44 Restaurants in Rocky Mount
Boones Mill, Virginia
“Applebee's”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The staff here is very friendly and attentive.The food is good and portions,too.The onion rings are particularly tasty.

Visited June 2013

Reidsville, North Carolina
“Our experience was lousy...”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stopped at the Rocky Mount location of Applebee's on Sunday night. May 26th, because we were on the way to Christiansburg and it was already going on 9:00 pm. Most of the restaurants further up US 220 would be closing at 10:00 pm, so we figured we would stop and eat dinner while we could. Plus Rocky Mount isn't booming with a lot of restaurants so we chose the Applebee's just a short distance of US 220.

Big mistake.

First of all, when we walk in, no hostess was to be found anywhere. The place was not busy at all, there was no crowd of people at tables or waiting to be seated, but still no hostess up front. So we sat down in the waiting area along with a party of about eight who came in behind us. After several minutes, a hostess finally came and seated us. Okay, no big issue.

Then our server comes over to take our drink order. We order two teas and she comes back several minutes later and asks if we would like an appetizer. So we order an appetizer and she said she would come back in a few minutes to take our food order. After about 15 minutes she brings over our chips and spinach dip and then takes our food order. And that's when things went really down hill at a snails pace.

The order consisted of one small sirloin steak, two baked potatoes, a house salad, a cheeseburger, and a wedge of lettuce with salad dressing. That's all it was. Nothing complicated and nothing special. All my partner specifically asked for was that his house salad come before the meal - nothing else.

After about 40 minutes, the server passed by and he asked about his salad. She looked embarrassed and said there was a computer problem and she would go check on it. About 10 minutes later she came back with his house salad. Then a few minutes after that, she brought my lettuce wedge with dressing. Then approximately 15 minutes after that, my partner's steak came and was being carried by a manager. The manager was very apologetic and said there was a computer problem and they got busy all of a sudden and he was sorry and then he offered a discount. We discussed the problem (including his discount offer) and he apologized again. A few minutes after he walked away, along came my cheeseburger with nothing on it (it was supposed to have lettuce tomato and onions but didn't) and a plate full of -- french fries. I didn't want french fries and that's why I ordered a baked potato. Guess what? Neither one of us ever got our baked potatoes.

We finally got our bills and although the manager took my burger and lettuce wedge off as a goodwill gesture, we had to ask for it to be tallied again to take things off my partner's bill since his job pays for his travel meals. After we asked for the manager yet again (his third visit) we never had contact with the server again. She apparently became frustrated with the situation, with us, and it showed in her attitude from that point.

By the way, we didn't buy the story about a computer error from the server or the manager. People that came in after us, including several tables around us, all got their food way before we got ours. And we watched other Applebee's staff members using the computers without a problem. We honestly believe the server forgot the order. But by that point, we didn't care. We just wanted to settle the bill and get out of there.

Total time in an Applebee's for no more food than we ordered? 90 minutes. That's right, one and a half hours.

I will say that the manager we spoke to not once, but several times, seemed genuine in his apologies. And he was nice to settle the bill like he did to make it right. But after 90 minutes, I think it was only fair. Overall our experience at the Applebee's in Rocky Mount was terrible and we will never go back there again. I'll either eat in Martinsville or wait to eat in Roanoke. Either that or I'll go to the Kroger next door to the Applebee's and get some bread and bologna.

Take my advice and avoid this location unless you have a lot of time and patience for excuses.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank MarkyNC
Roanoke, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The service was great. Food was yummy. Disappointed in the mashed potatoes...huge lumps. Steak was perfect!

Visited May 2013
Ferrum, Virginia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“applebees-wish we had another option”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

food is not always hot. service can be slow. resturant seems dirty. i asked for coffee a couple time,took a long timne to get it and then tasted old.if there was another option in rocky mount,i'd take it. this is ok-would rather have an olive garden or Tgif

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Toni C
Wirtz
“Always...eeehh”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have tried to like this place because it is the only sit down national chain we have in Rocky Mount..but I just cant. I have to drown the dishes in salt to eat them..stick to a burger for the best luck.

Visited March 2013