All reviewspancake machineroom was cleanthe staff was friendly and helpfulfirst floorroad noiseonly stayed one nightthe breakfast areafresh fruitwould definitely stay here againfree breakfastindoor poolmartinsvillefridgenjpropertiesrenovationharvester
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We stayed here for one night as we headed down to Orlando. We had booked the hotel online and this was seamless. Check-in was one of the smoothest I've ever been through, but it was the beds that were out of this world. We had friends and family accompanying us on this trip they also stated that their sleep was "perfect."

However, it was their professionalism the next day that went above and beyond the call of duty. Our 12 year-old daughter left her blanket and stuffed animal behind (I know, I know, but she had the thing since birth so tears were flowing once we realized it was forgotten about 300 miles down the road) We called the hotel and they said that they'd look for it and give us a call back on our cellphone. They were true to their word and our friends picked it up for us on their way back to Canada since we were going home an alternate route.

The next morning I went down to the restaurant for a light breakfast and met a great waiter who is a huge "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" fan. He was experimenting with eggs and cream cheese and brought me out a sample...............a really neat guy that was a pleasure to chat with in the morning.

It's customer service like this that will always have me staying Holiday Inn Express whenever we are travelling. They made a 12 year old girl eternally grateful, and a Mom and Dad extremely happy.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank OlympianOn
Reviewed June 26, 2009

My wife and i stayed here 2 nights on a short vacation trip. The main objective was to visit the D-Day Memorial in Bedford, and to visit the area around Smith Mountain Lake. WE also asked the staff for other ideas to see or visit in the area, but got no help. WE found several restaurants on our own that were good including Hubs for great sandwiches,Hemas had good Italian & pizza,and Fisherman's Galley had good and plentiful seafood. Also, in Bedford, The Ivy Bridge Cafe in downtown had wonderful sandwiches,but the cookies for desert looked better than they were--skip them.The D-day Memorial is worth a trip to see and is about a 45 minute drive through beautiful rolling farm country with a splash of Smith Mtn Lake thrown in. The hotel is clean as is the the indoor pool and jacuzzi. We stayed in a King suite which had plenty of room, and the bed was especially comfortable. Could not get the wireless internet to work, but it was fine when hooked-up with a cable. Strangely, there was 1 small pad on the desk, but no pens in the room. Breakfast was hot eggs, bacon/sausage, biscuits, cereal, etc., and of course the wonderful cinnamon rolls. Breakfast room was clean,and the bar fully stiocked as items ran low. No USA Today, but the Roanoke,Va paper was available at the desk(most other HIE deliver them overnight to the guests rooms.) Also, I usually get a preview bill slipped under my door the last night, but none this time. Also, no cookies in the evening---has HIE stopped offering them?? Also, if possible try to get a room on the back of the facility, as there can be some traffic noise from the highway in front. We always carry a "white noise" machine, which helped muffle large trucks pulling up the grade in front of the hotel. Overall, not bad, but needs work to join the best HIE properties we have enjoyed.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Stayed one night over Mothers Day weekend in King, Non-smoking room (221) on backend of hotel away from main road. Hotel is in new condition and appears to be kept that way with excellent manager and crew. Check-in was quick with all documents and electronic keys prepared in advance of my arrival. Plenty of free parking. Lobby and breakfast area exceptionally clean. Room was large, with a large marble tiled bathroom, exceptionally clean and well maintained. Bed was medium firm (just right for me), with soft very plush sheets and bedding. Nice lazy-boy type chair as well as good sized work desk and office chair with wired and wireless (included in price) internet. I was very impressed with the soundproofing and quietness inside the room as their were several families with small children staying in rooms next to mine. Even though kids could be heard in rooms if I stood in the hallways, once I went into my room I could not hear them (thank you, thank you!), even with the wall air conditioner off. The high quality wall A/C unit was digitally controlled, cycled quietly, and didn't interfere with sleep. Additionally, the hot breakfast included bacon, eggs, biscuits with gravy, and the normal continental fare...a cut above. I was looking for a reasonably priced, quiet, clean, comfortable hotel for a night and that is exactly what I got. I will go back.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 8, 2008

I go to Rocky Mount, VA almost every year to visit an old friend and her family. We stayed at this new Holiday Inn Express for the first time this year and we will definitely be returning for future visits. Great service, super clean, and good breakfast. Only problem was we couldn't get into the side door with our key to unload and load our luggage, hopefully that will be corrected by our next trip.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 15, 2007

On a recent drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway, we got off in Rocky Mount,VA, looking for gas, food, and lodging. We found all three, but the lodging was the best, desk personnel was very friendly, advising us of all that was available at the hotel, and the accommodations were great, with indoor pool and spa as well as work out room. My only complaint was I would like to see more hot food at the breakfast bar,i.e. grits and or gravy, etc. But that was not enough to keep us from deciding to stay there again next time we go for a mountain drive. Another point, the chain has already contacted me via e-mail for a short interactive survey on our stay there. Makes you feel that maybe they really do care about what their customers think.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank donniedrp7