All reviews pancake machine room was clean the staff was friendly and helpful first floor road noise only stayed one night the breakfast area fresh fruit would definitely stay here again free breakfast indoor pool martinsville fridge nj properties harvester
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed in this Holiday Inn Express for one night while passing through. We normally are very pleased with this chain but this one was not quite up to par. The room had a mildew / wet smell to it. My wife noticed it even more than I did since she is more sensitive to odors. After we went out for dinner we went to a local Wal-Mart and purchased a couple of scented candles. This took care of the problem for us. If we were staying more than one night I would not have stayed in this room. However, after carrying all of our luggage up to the room, I thought we would be OK for a night.
The room was clean and the reception at the front desk was pleasant.
Breakfast the next morning was good, not great. Don't expect a breakfast that's up to a restaurant standard and you'll do fine.
We reported the smell the next morning when checking out and was surprised that the front desk was not too concerned about it. We were told that it was probably from the AC needing a filter change and that they would check it out. No big deal from them.
If staying in Rocky Mount, VA again I probably would see what other options were there for a motel. I expect higher standards from Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room prior to renting it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick B
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

I would like to thank you for the comments you posted regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Rocky Mount, Virginia. We take pride in our hotel and staff, and our goal is to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable room and friendly service. I can see we came up short with your visit.

We will look into the musty odor that you experienced when you entered your room. We are investigating this concern, we are not sure if this was caused by all the rain we have been getting or our Air Conditioning units need a deep cleaning. We will be discussing with our air conditioning company as they have been scheduled to do maintenance on each guest room unit.

Thank you for bringing your concern to us and I do hope that this one experience does not stop you from trying us again in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I read some of the recent reviews of this property which are largely positive, and decided to ignore the overall lower rating for this Holiday Inn Express. My mistake! We found a dirty washcloth in the shower, a crayon and other debris under the coffee table, a shower curtain rod ready to fall off....and...when the A/C rattle became too annoying, I found mold/mildew growing on the vents and a filter that was clogged with dust. There was food debris in the elevator door tracks that has probably been there for months. I could describe the poor breakfast, but that would be piling on (the fat, salt, and calories, that is). But HIE breakfasts are a low point across the chain, in my opinion, and this was consistent, at least, with those standards. We did, however, think the bed was comfortable. I have a Priority Club credit card, and I usually look forward to staying with Holiday Inn, but management is not inspecting the cleanliness of this property.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandhill79
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the cleanliness and maintenance of your guest room. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We will address these points. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here last weekend. The facility was clean, service good, breakfast was good, staff was pleasant and helpful, and the area was nice. Our check of Trip Advisor reviews prior to this visit had shown some concerns but we found none. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Nice size room with queen beds. Large bath with great shower.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

I don’t know what to say but thank you for the wonderful words about our hotel. We take great pride in our hotel and staff and are strive to make everyone’s stay a pleasant one and I can see we met all those goals with you.

Thank you for keeping an open opinion from what other guest commented about our hotel on Trip Advisor both negative and positive. I am glad you made the decision to try us and I can see you were happy with your stay. Hope to you see you soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I stopped here over night on a motorcycle trip. This is a very nice Holiday Inn Express, which like many of the brand has been recently updated.
We got caught in several down pours and were still quite wet when we pulled in. The receptionist invited us to keep the bike under the front entry out of the rain where they could keep an eye on it. This is always much appreciated.
My wife spent part of the evening drying out out wet riding gear using the guest laundry, which is conveniently located near the breakfast area.
Its inconvenient to walk anywhere from this property. We did cross the busy street (no cross walks) to get to Applebees for dinner though.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Thank you for the great comments you posted regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Rocky Mount, Virginia. As an experienced traveler, you understand how important a clean, comfortable room and friendly staff are. We take great pride in our hotel and are happy to hear that your stay was pleasant and that we met your expectations.

I am glad we had a place to store your bike during the heavy rains. Regarding our location, we are on the opposite side of the road but there is a stop light that was just put in for the safety of our guests. It is a short walk over to the mall area that features shopping, fast food and an Applebee’s.

Thanks again for the positive comments and if you are traveling through our area again in the future I hope you will choose our hotel for your stay.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The front desk folks were courteous and helpful. There was zero musty odor when I walked into my room. The room was spotless, the bed was comfortable, and A/C worked perfectly, the bathroom was spacious and the shower was lovely. The breakfast--while it didn't have endless selections--was more than adequate, certainly everything I could have wanted. Their coffee was especially good. I liked the fact that the room doors open to an interior hallway instead outside. There was plenty of parking even though the hotel was full. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for recommending our hotel to others that are visiting the Rocky Mount area. I hope to see you again if you are in the area.