All reviewspancake machineroom was cleanthe staff was friendly and helpfulfirst floorroad noiseonly stayed one nightthe breakfast areafresh fruitwould definitely stay here againfree breakfastindoor poolmartinsvillefridgenjpropertiesrenovationharvester
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here a couple of nights ago, my previous stay was a few years before. The place shows a bit of age but still retains a typical HIE feel. The beds are very comfortable with a nice choice of pillows to use. It's located directly across the street from Wendys and Applebees. The AAA rate seems a tad high for the age of the property but I believe that has something to do with so few competition hotels in the area.

The breakfast is pretty good for hotel fare. There were more items than typically found at a free breakfast. The pancake machine is pretty darn cool and cooks up some tasty stuff!

Overall I was happy with my stay and will visit again when in the area for work.

• Stayed: August 2012
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Thank you for your most recent return visit and comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Rocky Mount, Virginia. The hotel is only 6 years old and we feel it is a little too early to start a renovation program.\
You are so correct that the beds are comfortable. We get many positive comments regarding our bedding selection and yes the pancake machine does make some pretty good pancakes.

Regarding the AAA rating, We get an annual quality inspection from AAA and that is how the hotel is rating. There scoring system is specifically on condition and cleanliness. From my understanding of AAA, limited hotels in a specific area does not generate different scores.

Again, thanks for the comments and we will see you when your work brings you back to the Rocky Mount, Virginia area.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

For $85 a night, it wasn't bad. The rooms do need some upgrading but the hotel staff was very nice and took care of any questions or concerns we had. The beds were a little hard and took some getting used to. If I were in the area again, I would stay here.

Room Tip: Get a suite. I don't think they cost much more but have a ton of extra space. I did not get one but a family member of mine did and I wish I would have asked for it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you for your comments you posted regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Rocky Mount, Virginia. Yes, I would have to say we have a very good value at the room rate you received. Our hotel is only 6 years old and we feel it is a little too early to start a renovation program. Regarding the comfort of the bed, every guest has a certain type of bed they like, I am truly sorry that we did not meet those needs with you. Overall we get excellent comments regarding our bedding, the beds that we have at the hotel come from one of the preferred vendors of Intercontinental Hotels Group.

Finally I am so proud that our staff was able to answer any questions or concerns you had during your stay and that you come back to stay with us if you ever in the Rocky Mount, Virginia area.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel while visiting Smith Mtn Lake. I have stayed here many times of the last few years and very little has changed including all room decor, furniture, etc. The beds are worn out and sag badly after a few hours. You basically climb out of a hole in the morning. Breakfast is okay, but they constantly run out of items that could be easily pick up at the Kroger across the street if the management would allow them to do so. Fruit is rarely available and is not restocked until "the truck" makes its run. Room seemed to be cleaner during this visit. I will most likely stay here again only because there is no where else, no other choices. Not my favorite place to stay by any means and the rooms need to be stripped and refurnished. Get on the stick owners. Work out area was good with 2 tread mills, an elipical and bicycle.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 127, it is right next to the door to the pool and workout area. It is very noisy when opening and closing and will constantly wake you up when used by others, including the staff that don't seem to mind letting it slam behind them.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jake143
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

First of all thank you for expressing your feelings and thoughts about our Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount/Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia.

I went back and read your comments from a year ago that you had posted on Tripadvisor as well. Our hotel is only 6 years old and we feel that the hotel is not ready for an entire renovation yet. We get many compliments regarding the comfort of beds that we use. In fact we use this same bed at our other hotels that we own and operate. I know each person is very specific to the comfort of the bed. Since the hotel just turned 6 years old we will be starting to look at this issue.

I am glad to hear that your room was much cleaner on this trip then your prior one. We are working hard with our housekeeping staff to provide a clean and comfortable stay.

You are correct that there is limited lodging in the Rocky Mount , Virginia area. I do hope that you continue to stay with us to see the changes that we have and will be making in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed for a night while visiting college with teens. The nonsmoking room was large and clean. There was a noisy family with young kids across the hall, but we could not hear them while in our room. Linens were good quality. Beds very soft and comfy. Breakfast was above average with very good omelettes and ham; everything was fresh and plentiful. No problems. Will stay again. Also visited Smith Mountain Lake which is absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

I would personally like to thank you for your comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount, Virginia. You are so correct the rooms have plenty of space.

You are so correct on the comfort of the beds. We get so many positive comments about how comfortable our beds are. Breakfast at any Holiday Inn Express offers so many choices for both children and adults. I am glad the you thought our breakfast was above average.

If your future travels takes you through the Rocky Mount, Virginia area I hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights for a business trip. I am a Priority Gold customer and seek out HEI whenever possible. This stay was very disappointing. The bathroom smelled of mildew, behind the nightstands had not been vacuumed in some time and the smell of smoke in the room and hallway was terrible. I would seek out other accommodations in this area next time. The bed was very comfortable and that is about the only positive. There seems to be a problem with the HVAC as the room always felt damp. Some renovation needs to be done here...

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kevin K
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount, Virginia. As I read your review I see that you are a loyal Priority Club member. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectation.

While you were staying at the hotel the area had an extreme heat index over 100 degrees. During the summer months we leave the air conditioners on in the guest rooms so when you enter your room it does not take hours to cool down. This maybe the reason that you felt the room as damp and possible smell of mildew. We have worked with our housekeeping department to make sure that we are deep cleaning our guest rooms and the proper amount of air freshener is being used.

Regarding the smoking issue. We have considered going to a non-smoking hotel but at this time we feel economically we cannot be done at this time. We continue to monitor the current conditions if we feel that we can convert to an all non-smoking hotel. Our smoking section is located on our top floor, all in one section.

You are correct that the bed is comfortable. We get comments all the time regarding the comfort of our bed.

Again I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectation and I hope we can regain your trust. Please do not hold your experience at our hotel stop you from using Holiday Inn Express hotels for your future lodging needs.