All reviews pancake machine room was clean the staff was friendly and helpful first floor road noise only stayed one night the breakfast area fresh fruit would definitely stay here again free breakfast indoor pool martinsville fridge nj properties harvester
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel while visiting Smith Mtn Lake. I have stayed here many times of the last few years and very little has changed including all room decor, furniture, etc. The beds are worn out and sag badly after a few hours. You basically climb out of a hole in the morning. Breakfast is okay, but they constantly run out of items that could be easily pick up at the Kroger across the street if the management would allow them to do so. Fruit is rarely available and is not restocked until "the truck" makes its run. Room seemed to be cleaner during this visit. I will most likely stay here again only because there is no where else, no other choices. Not my favorite place to stay by any means and the rooms need to be stripped and refurnished. Get on the stick owners. Work out area was good with 2 tread mills, an elipical and bicycle.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 127, it is right next to the door to the pool and workout area. It is very noisy when opening and closing and will constantly wake you up when used by others, including the staff that don't seem to mind letting it slam behind them.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jake143
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

First of all thank you for expressing your feelings and thoughts about our Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount/Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia.

I went back and read your comments from a year ago that you had posted on Tripadvisor as well. Our hotel is only 6 years old and we feel that the hotel is not ready for an entire renovation yet. We get many compliments regarding the comfort of beds that we use. In fact we use this same bed at our other hotels that we own and operate. I know each person is very specific to the comfort of the bed. Since the hotel just turned 6 years old we will be starting to look at this issue.

I am glad to hear that your room was much cleaner on this trip then your prior one. We are working hard with our housekeeping staff to provide a clean and comfortable stay.

You are correct that there is limited lodging in the Rocky Mount , Virginia area. I do hope that you continue to stay with us to see the changes that we have and will be making in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed for a night while visiting college with teens. The nonsmoking room was large and clean. There was a noisy family with young kids across the hall, but we could not hear them while in our room. Linens were good quality. Beds very soft and comfy. Breakfast was above average with very good omelettes and ham; everything was fresh and plentiful. No problems. Will stay again. Also visited Smith Mountain Lake which is absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

I would personally like to thank you for your comments regarding our Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount, Virginia. You are so correct the rooms have plenty of space.

You are so correct on the comfort of the beds. We get so many positive comments about how comfortable our beds are. Breakfast at any Holiday Inn Express offers so many choices for both children and adults. I am glad the you thought our breakfast was above average.

If your future travels takes you through the Rocky Mount, Virginia area I hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights for a business trip. I am a Priority Gold customer and seek out HEI whenever possible. This stay was very disappointing. The bathroom smelled of mildew, behind the nightstands had not been vacuumed in some time and the smell of smoke in the room and hallway was terrible. I would seek out other accommodations in this area next time. The bed was very comfortable and that is about the only positive. There seems to be a problem with the HVAC as the room always felt damp. Some renovation needs to be done here...

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kevin K
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Mount, Virginia. As I read your review I see that you are a loyal Priority Club member. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectation.

While you were staying at the hotel the area had an extreme heat index over 100 degrees. During the summer months we leave the air conditioners on in the guest rooms so when you enter your room it does not take hours to cool down. This maybe the reason that you felt the room as damp and possible smell of mildew. We have worked with our housekeeping department to make sure that we are deep cleaning our guest rooms and the proper amount of air freshener is being used.

Regarding the smoking issue. We have considered going to a non-smoking hotel but at this time we feel economically we cannot be done at this time. We continue to monitor the current conditions if we feel that we can convert to an all non-smoking hotel. Our smoking section is located on our top floor, all in one section.

You are correct that the bed is comfortable. We get comments all the time regarding the comfort of our bed.

Again I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectation and I hope we can regain your trust. Please do not hold your experience at our hotel stop you from using Holiday Inn Express hotels for your future lodging needs.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here for husbands family reunion. Overall hotel stay was good, but it would be more of a better experience if front desk representatives would take the time to listen and not seem rushful. They charged my credit card incorrectly which was an inconvenience. Wasn't able to upgrade, but happy nevertheless.I would stay ay this hotel again, great location.

• Stayed: July 2012
Kathleen H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

I hope you enjoyed your family reunion and that you chose our hotel to stay at. Thank you for the comment that you thought your staff and hotel was good except for the billing errors that occured at the front desk. I am glad that we were able to fix that issue right away. We will continue to work our staff to make sure this does not happen again and not to be so rushful.

I do hope to see you in the future if your plans bring you to the Rocky Mount, Virginia area.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

I would not stay here again. First, the smoking rooms and non-smoking rooms are mixed on the third floor. You smell cigarette smoke when you get off the elevator and the only way to keep the stench out of your room is to run the fan on the heater/AC unit full time. Second, the beds are awful. Our room had a new pillow-top king bed that had a mattress pad on it that felt like cardboard. It felt like there was a vinyl cover under the bottom sheet. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Business_TravelerFFX
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rocky Mount/Smith Mtn Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear Business_TravelerFFX,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W