Hotel looks old and worn, but was under renovation on the exterior and lobby. Parking is rather cramped, and parking for the back of the building looks iffy. It's not a confidence-builder to see a sign warning that hotel is not responsible for theft or vandalism of vehicles. There were a dozen or so people standing around the back lot drinking beer and getting loud.
Inside, the office was not recognizable as a facility that was open for business. The room had been laid bare and nobody was at the construction material-desk. The hall was rank with cigarette smoke and mustiness, and the rear door hanging half open. When we got to our room, we found the door was propped open on its security latch, and we had to go back to the desk and see if someone was already in the room. She stated that housekeeping does that sometimes, leaving rooms unsecured.
Entering the room, the most noticeable thing was stale air overlaid with some sort of perfume or room spray. There were large chunks of dirt tracked across the carpet, which clearly had not been vacuumed. Crushed leaves were scattered across the loveseat, and soil and gouges were on the walls. Something white had dripped down the glass of the bedroom mirror, and the room windows were grungy with dirt. As we unpacked, I found the bathroom had not been stocked with towels, and there was a pubic hair on the toilet seat. Something cream colored and sticky was on the bathroom counter, and the faucet had ingrained brown hand-contact residues in the grooves of the handle. I went back to the desk clerk to get towels, then back to the room again. The desk lamp didn't work, due to a blown bulb. I went back to the desk clerk for the third time to get a light bulb. I turned up the a/c to try and freshen the smell of the room, but it wouldn't operate at more than a minimal level no matter where I put the dial. The window had a makeshift "lock" to prevent it being opened....a piece of half-round wood had been laid in the window track with a screw clamp holding it in place. I removed it and opened the window for some fresh air. As I put our food in the fridge, I saw the top of the fridge and microwave were covered in dust, at least several days worth. There were dried drink-rings from where wet glasses had sat on the fridge top, and the ice-bin tray had dried brown residues all across its surface. There was no phone book in the room, and the binder with area info listed only 4 restaurants in the area (as we left we saw many more than that in the immediate vicinity). The last straw was when I pulled back the sheets and found long curly hairs in the bed, and thin brown hairs on the pillow cases. This place was filthy, and it is appalling that Choice Hotels' inspectors have not stepped in to correct the situation. As I returned to the desk to let the clerk know there was no way I could stay in that room, six teens galloped down the hall, banging on a room door, then ran back to the lobby, then down the other hall. The noise was incredible, but hotel staff just ignored the racket, never offering to suggest perhaps they shouldn't be whooping and running in the building. As I left via the rear hall entrance, I found the inner door wouldn't properly close, and the outer security door seemed to be broken. What a distaster of a hotel.
Note: the desk clerk suggested that if we wanted to come back sometime that management might be willing to give us a free night's stay, but I passed. I'm not going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Inn - Smith Mountain Lake is a completely renovated 61-room hotel located in Rocky Mount, Virginia. We offer a hot extended continental breakfast, free- wifi throughout the hotel, a local daily newspaper, and a new fitness center and outdoor seasonal pool. We're building a gazebo for guest convenience to open in May 2017. We have free parking and lots of truck parking is available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Comfort Inn Smith Mountain Lake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Smith Mountain Lake Hotel Rocky Mount
- Comfort Inn Rocky Mount
- Rocky Mount Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn Smith Mountain Lake Rocky Mount, Virginia