“GiGi Rocked it”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Great chicken and Waffles at Thelma's. Thelma's is in the City Market and has great food. I love the fact that they have fried chicken and waffles and not just chicken strips like most places. They do have chicken strips if that's what you prefer.
We also really enjoyed GiGi's style of service and would definitely ask for her on our next visit.

There are newer reviews for Thelma's Chicken & Waffles

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Whenever we were in Roanoke we would look forward to having breakfast at Ernie's. Since they sadly closed, we tried Thelma's for the first time in August 2013 and woah was it good. I had the signature chicken and waffles and it was fantastic. Service was just fine for us, I don't remember it taking longer than it should and for a Sunday morning breakfast it was nice, friendly and leisurely, the way we prefer. Being rushed in and rushed out is not enjoyable. I've been thinking about this place since we left in August and I'm happy to say we're in Roanoke this weekend, where I will be dreaming of tomorrow's breakfast at Thelma's all night tonight. I wish there was one near my home in NJ, but for now I'll have to settle for the 8 hour drive to Roanoke. It's worth it.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stopped in for Sunday brunch. No utensils on the table. Three orders, not all delivered together. By the time we finally got silverware, meal was cold. I've been in food service before. This was totally unacceptable.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I grew up eating fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and all the fixings that go along with a Southern Sunday dinner. So, I expected a lot more out of Thelma's.

First, the service was good. We were treated well while we were there.

We both got the chicken and waffles. And, since that's the signature dish, I expected fireworks. Instead, I got a waffle that was spongy and fried chicken that didn't quite hit the mark for me.

I really wanted to like this place more, but it just won't be a place we'll add to our repertoire.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have eaten at Thelma's probably five times (this past weekend most recently), each time for breakfast on a weekend morning. Occasionally we've had to wait a few minutes for a table, but for the most part I've been seated quickly.

I've ordered the chicken & waffles every time except one, and the other time I got the pork chops. The pork chops were OK, but the chicken & waffles are always absolutely awesome. The chicken is great, the waffles are great, and they complement each other perfectly.

I have never had any real problems with service. I will say that sometimes it is a bit slow, but I'm not sure where all the reviews are coming from talking about the service being horrible. The service isn't great, but I don't recall ever waiting so long for things that it became a problem. Perhaps I have just been lucky though.