“Tasted like my Grandma was in the kitchen”
Review of Thelma's Chicken & Waffles - CLOSED

Thelma's Chicken & Waffles
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Best food in Roanoke! A must try! I didn't know food could taste this good! not the healthiest restaurant, I wouldn't recommend eating here everyday unless you want to gain a lot of weight! But oh so delicious! Soul food at its best!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stopped at visitor center in Roanoke for food recommendation and she said to go to Thelma's in downtown. It is as advertised, everyone was very nice , but sadly I was starving and trying to order without having the staff pull up a chair was hard. Be prepared to be patient (the guy busing tables however never stopped , nice fellow), but having said that, its part of the charm , (almost a momma's soul food vibe where the staff thinks of you as family -and if I wasn't starving it would probably have been charming). Decor is old and not very impressive, but its downtown, and let's face it, I came for the food. Had the chicken fingers and waffle, with potatoes. Everything tasted homemade, loved the waffle , chicken was a little overdone but still tasty and potatoes were good. Looked like they made good biscuits and such and they had a lot of home southern cooking choices (if you are looking for gourmet vegan or aren't looking for carbs like a review below than there are probably better places to visit for you), I have a food policy about trying a new place, I go with their speciality I feel if they are advertising it , its probably the best of what they make. I liked the food and if you are going to downtown Roanoke its definitely worth a stop.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

After being greeted and seated by a friendly hostess, things went downhill. Service was slow and spotty. It took a long to time to place an order and to then receive food. We are still waiting on the coffee we ordered. The chicken was overcooked and the waffle was nothing special. A good waffle should have some crunch to it, but this was not a good waffle. There are too many good dining options in Roanoke to return.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Carbs, carbs and more carbs! If you are looking for carbs and gravy and more carbs, this is your place.

1  Thank Clean7
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had a late lunch here on a week day and were quite satisfied. Parking is awful, but this is a given in downtown Roanoke. I had the chicken tenders and waffles (of course) and it was very pleasant. The waffle was more enjoyable than the chicken, so I may not order it exactly the same next time. The waitress was very pleasant and attentive.