“Surprisingly good”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Love the environment and location. The food was tasty and it was interesting to pair chicken and waffles... a first for me.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed overnight in Roanoke and went to Thelma's for breakfast, 3 adults and 2 children.
We had a wonderful breakfast. Eggs,bacon,sausage,pancakes,waffles but the most memorable was the friendly southern hospitality of all of the staff. A must visit if you're going to Roanoke. We WILL be back next time we're in the area.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

A total great experience of taste and an atmosphere that makes you feel like family! How can you not get the chicken and waffles? I did and it was amazing! Fried potatoes a little greasy but really....who cares its something we dont get to eat to often but a great place to go!

1  Thank Travelingwith4our
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The servers were very friendly. Even understaffed they were still extremely nice. The food was enjoyable, and had a home cooked feel it. Great omelet, great home fries, good biscuits and sweat tea. I'd eat here again.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We were in Roanoke for a wedding and spotted Thelma's Chicken and Waffles as we were walking through the market area. For those who have not been to Roanoke in a while, the market area is amazing, part of a city centre revitalization. It wasn't that long ago that strolling through the market was not a great idea.

None of us could imagine how chicken and waffles went together, but local people on the street encouraged us to give it a try. We were 7 people and were seated quickly. Our server was GG, of the fabulous nails and wicked sense of humour.

All but two of us had chicken and waffles. I had the boneless breast which gives you less meat than if you order the chicken tenders. Thankfully, GG had pointed this out to us so my male cousin went with the tenders and had way more meat. Others in our party ordered the catfish sandwich which had a very good amount of catfish, and the omelette which was good, however the ham was fried which was not expected.

Before we could try our meals, we had an order of biscuits direct from the oven. An excellent reminder of the south. The food was very good. Some of us ate the chicken and waffles with syrup on top all at the same time. While this was an interesting taste combo, I preferred eating them separately although I did dip my chicken in the syrup.

The ambiance was southern and you were made to feel like family. The food is very good; however given the calories and fried food I couldn't make this a regular haunt if I lived in Roanoke.

If you find yourself in the market area, please check out this place.