“Great food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thelma's Chicken & Waffles - CLOSED

Thelma's Chicken & Waffles
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Virginia
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was visiting Roanoke for a work trip and wanted a good place for brunch before heading out. I checked on Yelp and saw great reviews for Thelma's Chicken & Waffles. I wasn't disappointed.

The reception area is pretty large and cavernous feeling which is strange for a restaurant. The fact that the area had no hostess added to the feeling. However, as soon as I walked through the door an employee stuck their head around the corner to greet me. She led me to my table and asked if this was my first visit. I told her it was and she welcomed me and said that I was considered family and would be treated that way (fortunately, that was a good thing).

My server was very friendly (called me sweetie several times) and attentive. I had read good things about the waffles and chicken so decided to go with their namesake. Definitely, a good call. The chicken (wingettes are what I ordered) were well seasoned and fried crispy. The waffle was crunchy and fluffy (not always easy to do) and flavorful. Fried potatoes came on the side.

I was offered sweet tea but ordered coffee instead. The coffee was umimpressive - typical diner fare. My bill - under $14 for one person and I was stuffed. Side note - Thelma's is located in a sweet location downtown - right near the Farmers Market. There was a festival underway at the time of my visit. I walked out of the restaurant and checked out a few vendors on the way back to my car. I was surprised that I was actually disappointed to be leaving without more time to explore. I wasn't expecting that at all from Roanoke. If you're in the area, check out Thelma's. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited September 2012

Deerfield, Ohio
“Great place for breakfaat food!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed the perfrct meal at a great price here. Our food was delivered very fast and was all good and hot. Their chicken is excellent along with their waffles and home fries. Our server was all we could ask for, great southern hospitality. This place is a must!!!

Roanoke, Virginia, United States
“Family Style Cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Apparently, I had family in downtown Roanoke and didn't even realize it. Thelma's Chicken & Waffles is welcoming people into their family and they have a new home in the downtown area on Market Street. Over the past few weeks, I had heard nothing but good things about Thelma's but I still hadn't been able to try it. I had also heard about chicken & waffles on many different occasions and had seen it in different restaurants, and I was excited to see that Thelma's serves an option of chicken fingers & waffles, instead of just chicken wings & waffles.

When we went for dinner on Friday night, we didn't have to wait at all to be seated. I hope Thelma's has a strong lunch crowd because the empty tables for dinner on a Friday night can't be good for business. As we walked in to the restaurant, there were two ladies standing at the door to welcome us and they also said, "welcome to the family." We were told the same thing by our waitress, and we were treated like family through the entire meal. It felt like the staff at Thelma's were cooking food in the kitchen and they were excited to be able to share it with their guests - a feeling I rarely receive at restaurants. They also make sure you are taken care of through the meal, joke around with you, and do everything they can to provide a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

As for the food...I LOVED it! We ordered the Richie Rich Chili Mac & Cheese as an appetizer for the table and everyone was a big fan. Nothing fancy about it - elbow macaroni, chili, and cheese - but it was delicious. After that, I was excited to dive into my entree - chicken tenders, belgian waffle, & fried potatoes. There were three decent sized chicken tenders that reminded me of Zaxby's and a thick belgian waffle with some butter melting in the middle, along with a side dish of fried potatoes. The potatoes were very good but the chicken and waffle were the stars. I spread the butter around and poured some syrup over my waffle, then cut a piece of waffle and a piece of chicken and put them together in one meaty, syrupy, buttery bite. MONEY! The waffle even had cinnamon mixed into the batter which added another layer and flavor to the palate. It's a wonderful combination of flavor and texture that everyone should try. I finished everything on my plate and enjoyed every bite of it and wondered what had taken me so long to get to Thelma's. Everyone else enjoyed their food and I also tried my wife's cornbread, which was delicious. It was more like cake than bread, but that's the way I like it. I also washed everything down with a few glasses of sweet tea, which couldn't have been more appropriate.

Thelma's is the sort of restaurant I love. Great staff that make you feel welcome. Simple menu with great comfort food that isn't overly complicated. Cool location and atmosphere. Great value/prices for the food you get - it costs around $7-$10 per person. And an experience that makes you want to return. I loved everything about it and can't wait to go back. Thelma's, thank you for welcoming me into the family - I'll come around more often.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FromBallparkstoBBQ
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Very Tasty! Great atmosphere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The gentleman greeting us as we came in was a character. Very friendly and talkative. Our waitress was Tutu. She was also friendly. I had the signature chicken (wingettes) and waffles, which were awesome. The waffle was nice and fluffy and the chicken was crispy and seasoned perfectly. My 3 yr old had grilled cheese with mac and cheese. I sampled some of that, as well, it was good. Other members had fried fish and grilled fish and they were pleased. I believe we all cleaned our plates. The chicken/fish is cooked to order, so there is a bit of a wait for the food, not too excessive, but definitely worth the wait. My mother was mad that they ran out of cornbread, but it was after 2 pm on a Friday. It seems as if they do a good business with the business lunch crowd. The restaurant itself is nice and clean and is located in the downtown area, lots of great surrounding shops and farmers market. The "locals" in the restaurant were very friendly and welcoming.

• Visited August 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Pros: The chicken and waffles are incredible. Friendly wait staff. Great diverse environment.

Cons: They cook the fried chicked to order so it takes a little while to get your food. Its absolutely worth the wait but beware if you have small wiggly children.

Visited July 2012