“Some of the best Southern country cooking we've ever had!!”
Review of Thelma's Chicken & Waffles - CLOSED

Thelma's Chicken & Waffles
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We ate lunch here and were not disappointed. Wow - it is amazing! My husband and I loved the fried chicken. My father-in-law loved the catfish. The chicken takes a while to cook. It's worth the wait. The hostess, wait staff and cooks were all very friendly. We will be back during our next visit to Roanoke.

1  Thank frozenpa

Reviewed March 30, 2011

Took our four friends from France...they loved it. You have to order the chicken and waffles, or you've missed it. Tiffany, our server, is great, and a lot of fun. She even tried to brush up her high school French to communicate with our guests.

1  Thank chiknlvr
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Thelma's has some really great Southern food. We had their Chicken and Waffles with grits, sausage gravy over biscuits and fried apples. Everything was wonderful. I had never tried fried apples before, the name suggests something rather boring, but these were incredibly good, both sweet and tart at the same time, but without the extra sugar that you get in apple crisp.

Note that they have recently moved - the new address is 315 Market St, in the historic Market Square area. An interesting area just to walk around and browse,

1  Thank Bern666
Reviewed March 14, 2011

This was our first visit to Thelma's. When we mentioned this to the sweet lady who greeted us, she said... "Well, you walk through that door, you're family." The staff was very so very friendly. Our breakfast was so good, we decided to return for dinner. I recommend the Deep Fried chicken. It takes a few extra minutes to cook, but it's worth the wait. Comfortable atmosphere, nice location, great food, very reasonable prices, warm staff... why eat anywhere else?!

Reviewed March 6, 2011

I just ate here today with my husband and boys. It was fantastic. I don't usually go out of my way for country cooking but so many "foodie" friends recommended this place that we had to try it. First of all, the service was like returning home to grandma's after a 1 year absence. They were genuinely happy to have you there. It wasn't a fake sugary sweetness but a warm and friendly place where you are taken care of. Now for the food. Can I say perfect? The fried chicken is worth the fat and calories. I haven't had FC in at least 10 years because of that but today I took a taste of my child's chicken and decided it will be on my plate next time. It is even better than Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House in Savannah. That is no easy feat but Thelma's managed to pull it off. The sides were also great and everything came out of the kitchen fresh. It took a while for the food to arrive because everything is made to order but it's worth the wait. We were full but decided to share the banana pudding. It was unlike any I've ever had but we loved it. In case you aren't up for the chicken/waffle combination they have traditional dinner sides if you prefer. I also love that it is downtown. There is a city parking garage right across the street from the corner door so you don't have to drive around looking for parking. One more thing. . . the music played is great. Really suits the atmosphere.