“Thrown off my strid, but a very good local experience”

Hollywood's Restaurant & Bkry
Ranked #2 of 474 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Washington, D. C.
“Thrown off my strid, but a very good local experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

My wife and were passing through Roanoke, Virginia and wanted to find a good place to eat. We decided to go for the number 1 Trip Advisor recommendation. Hollywood was it! We ended up driving a bit but found a local restaurant with a down-home feel. I was thrown-off strid because I was expecting the normal tried-and-true restaurant atmosphere, Hollywood does not have that but has terrific, fresh, well-prepared food with very reasonable prices. If I'm in the area again, I'm coming back, and yes, it's a bit noisy.

1 Thank VeryBusyTraveler

Roanoke, Virginia
“Amazing”
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Visiting town and had to stop here. Hollywood is SO good. They're great for vegetarians, but there are plenty of meat options as well. It's close enough to the interstate to stop in while traveling down 81 and totally worth the trip for people in roanoke (weird location). Number 1 slot is well deserved!

1 Thank number2cac
Atlanta, GA
“Friendly, Fast and Filling!!!”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Almost passed up this place after reviews and thinking it was too far off the road Great place to eat off Hwy 81.. Signs led us to it from the hwy. One mile and a quarter from the hwy. Struck first thing by the excitement in the room. 12:20 and the place was brimming. We were seated In a booth and greeted imeadetley by Ashley. My diet requires fresh foods, no spice or preservatives. My needs were met with kindness. The burger was perfectly cook, med rare. Thick and juicy. My husbands catfish was hot and crispy accompanied by a good homemade coleslaw. He really enjoyed it. Sweet potato fries were best we ever had. Dessert is homemade with all natural ingrediants. I've been eating sugar free for weeks, but I indulged in a pecan pie bar. warmed and delightful! Dan had coconut cake which he describes as awesome...with a sigh. We asked for a stick pin to put our home location on the map. This family owned spot will be one I remember for a long time!

1 Thank kaperin0
Roanoke, Virginia
“A Little Gem”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Hollywoods is a little known gem close to Hollins University. Those folks travelling on I-81 would be well-advised to use the Hollins Exit and use Rte. 11 to visit it. The food is great with excellent service. Their baked goods are to die for. Don't miss this one!

1 Thank kenneth r
Durham, northcarolina
“over-rated”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I went to the restaurant this evening, partly due t the enthusiasm of Trip-Advisor raters. We were seated immediately and the overall atitude was friendly. Our first course was an appetizer - scallops in bacon in a sweet and sour sauce. It was unappetizing. The scallops were small, the bacon was not crisp and the sauce was goopy and way too much of it. Hardly a good way to begin. Our service was somewhat slow, we finsihed our first course before we were provided with bread, which we had to ask for, and we had to ask for straws for our water. The other dishes were unremarkable and uninspired, except for the white bean chili, which actually was quite good. Near the end of the meal, several people checked in on us to ask how everything was. All in all, a fairly bland experience; certainly not one worth making a special trip over which we did.

1 Thank bluedevilbill