“Terrible Food and Service”
Review of Surf N Turf Grill - CLOSED

Surf N Turf Grill
Virginia
“Terrible Food and Service”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I used to recommend Surf n' Turf to visitors to the Roanoke area as a local alternative to chain seafood restaurants. My previous visits had always been pleasant and the food good. This changed quite dramatically on my most recent visit.

Yesterday, I visited Surf N' Turf with a friend. We arrived at about 7:15 pm, and the restaurant was fairly busy. However, this was no excuse for the fact that we waited 3-4 minutes just for somebody to notice us and seat us. We finally asked the cook if we could seat ourselves, which we did. After waiting several minutes, somebody finally came and took our drink order, and quite a while later a different person came to take our food order.

I ordered the filet mignon cooked medium ($27), and my friend ordered a chicken pasta dish. Both came out about 15 minutes later.

My friend's chicken was tasteless and the pasta undercooked. However the real tragedy was the filet. I consider a medium steak to be still quite pink in the center, with approx. 25% of the outer edges cooked. The first time the filet came it was seared on the outside and COMPLETELY raw on the inside. I had to send this back, and when it came back, it was burnt on the outside and still completely raw on the inside. I knew it was useless to send it back again because it would have been completely charred on the outside and still raw on the inside, completely ruining the steak. The picture I am including was after the steak was received the second time, and is still completely raw and cold on the inside.

After this horrible experience with the service and especially the food I will not recommend this restaurant to anyone else and I shall encourage my co

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Adam S

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Terrible Food - Dirty and Expensive”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

When we go on vacation, we usually take one night and go to a really nice restaurant. We read the reviews of Surf N Turf and decided to give it a shot. What a MISTAKE!

The first thing that struck me was how filthy the place was... the floors were nasty and none of the three cooks were wearing hats or hair nets.

First I tried the she crab soup which was overseasoned and the crab had a funny smell.

Next was an $18 filet mignon which was burnt to a crisp and was accompanied by red potatoes which were so salty they were inedible. My husband had the blackened tuna which was burned on the outside and COLD RAW on the inside. Not rare like good tuna is cooked - RAW.

This place is disgusting and it cost us over $60 for dinner. Stay away from this nasty restaurant!

• Visited August 2012
Penhook, Virginia
“Stll excellent food, but beware lunch hour opening time.”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We still enjoy eating at this reataurant, but lately there has been an unwelcome problem with finding it open during lunch hour. Several times recently (3-4 times), we have stopped for lunch between 11:30 AM and 12:00 PM and found the restaurant closed. On one occasion, we saw it open about 12: 30 PM, after we had had lunch elsewhere nearby. On two other occasions, we were there and waited past 12:30 PM, but saw no activty before we left.

No sign identifies the restaurant's hours, although the restaurant's flyer and website advertise an opening time of 11:00 AM (we have found it open in the past at 11:30, but never 11:00 AM).

Service has been friendly and above average when we have eaten there, but I downgrded the service to "average", because of the irregular lunch hour opening.
The seafood is stll excellent, when we eat there in the evening, but the Chef Paul Gautier really should address the opening hours situation.

• Visited May 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
“Casual, quick, and good”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This place is always a good choice when you've decided at the last minute that you want to go out for dinner. We never have to wait because we're wiilling to sit at the bar if we have to. The food isn't fancy but it's well prepared. They have a good selection of beer and wine by the glass too.

Visited March 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
“Always GREAT........the Food and People are the BEST!!!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I don't get to go out to eat much but when I do this is the place........GREAT FOOD and Service!!!! Never a let down and always Positive :-) Try the Basa......very good fish!!! I'm always telling people about this "Jewel of Grandin" If you haven't tried please do......Oh and the Squash Caserole is Heaven

Visited March 2012