“A Nice Find for Tex-Mex”
Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #19 of 497 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Ended up here after missing another restaurant. My group was pleasantly surprised by the decor, the service, and the food. I had the 4 enchilada meal, and substituted a tamal for the 4th enchilada. The enchiladas were good, and the tamal was better than most I've found in the East.

All-in-all a very pleasant experience. I'll be back next trip.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We dine here often. Quite a nice variety on the menu beyond the usual Tex-Mex fare. But if you want fajitas, buttitos, tacos, etc., those are available. The center of the large room can be noisy (large parties end up there), so try to get one of the booths.

Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Mother's Day I picked this restaurant for my special day, after reading the reviews. Well it was a good choice, we called ahead for seating. My family loved the festive feel, and for Mother's Day the restaurant gave cards and enclosed was a card for a free entree with the purchase of one. NICE! What better way to entice another visit, Which I did the very next day for lunch and then the next day as well..
I'm Hooked! I loved the food and me and my spouse have been selecting different items to give them a try.
I suggest you go dine and see what keeps me going to this restaurant again and again!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stopped in without expectation and left wondering whether I have had better Mexican food from a chain.

The answer is "no".

The menu is varied and large and the food was prepared very well.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our family first discovered Abuelo's in Myrtle Beach a few years back. We've since eaten at locations in several states and have yet to be disappointed by either the food or the service. The recipes reflect more traditional, authentic dishes from Mexico that are quite different from the traditional Tex-Mex I am used to growing up in Texas (this is ironic as the chain originated in Lubbock, TX). They have several great appetizers, but we opted for the three Dip Sampler which has Chile con Queso, Queso Diablo (a spicy combination of traditional Mexican cheese and chili) and Avocado Cream (a guacamole based dip). For entrees it is hard to go wrong. My personal favorite is the Chile Rellenos, but since I don't get really good Mexican food often, I frequently order "The Grande" which has just about everything I'm craving. I especially like the incorporation of unusual quality ingredients like avocados and spinach in their recipes (e.g., Enchiladas De Cozumel are great guacamole enchiladas topped with seafood), as well as the variety of vegetarian dishes. Many of the side dishes are equally unique, such as the Espinaca (Spinach) Casserole or Abuelo’s signature Papas con Chile, a tasty combination of whipped red potatoes, four cheeses, red and green peppers, and sour cream. This location was clean and well maintained, the service was top notch and the prices were reasonable for what you get (i.e., there was enough food left over for another meal). Truly a great place to relax and escape the hustle and bustle of a busy day.