“Not the typical Mexican restaurant.”
Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #21 of 478 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Roanoke, Virginia
“Not the typical Mexican restaurant.”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Abuelo's is not your local typical Mexican restaurant, which we all know and love. However, when you want a slight variation on the typical Mexican, Abuelo's is a good place to head. While it is slightly more expensive than other Mexican restaurants, they provide more of a up-scale look and taste with their food. Recently their menu was refreshed allowing me to give the restaurant another chance. I recently tried the enchiladas, which come in many flavors and combination choices. I also tried the cilantro rice; both of which were excellent. If they served the white salsa for chips, I am sure I would frequent the restaurant more often. The restaurant has a very nice overall atmosphere with fast seating, service and décor. Check it out for yourself when visiting the Valley View Mall area.

• Visited January 2013

Moneta, VA
“My favorite Mexican restaurant in Roanoke!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I gave up on Mexican restaurants in Roanoke because the food always tasted the same,usually with cold beans and rice served with every dish and heavy lard tasting chips.. That was until I ate at Abuelo's! You are immediately greeted with the lightest, delicious chips and salsa. They have a great tapas menu, we love sitting in the bar area. We've tried them all and none have the unique menu and flavorful dishes that Abuelo's has.

• Visited December 2012
“Try the coronarita!!!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Pappas are fabulous and so are the enchiladas (my favorite are the spinach ones) start off with a coronarita & the dip trio. Delicious and a great summer place with outdoor seating!

Visited September 2012
“Average At Best”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was our second visit for dinner. We had high expectations both visits, but only found the food to be average. My burrito was well sized, but lacked any real distinctive spice flavors; likewise for the accompanying beans and rice. My wife's taco salad was tasty enough, but nothing special. We have no complaints, but can offer no accolades either. Maybe we have become too accustomed to the Mexican foods served at Alejandro's Mexican Grill; we favor the downtown location.

• Visited December 2012
“Great salsa”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Okay, it's a chain restaurant, but it's a good one! We could make a meal on the trio of salsas and the endless bowl of chips but never do...enjoy everything we've gotten here.

Visited December 2012

Been to Abuelo's? Share your experiences!