“Consistently Excellent”
Review of Alexander's

Alexander's
Reserve with OpenTable
Alexander's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 491 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Campbell/Salem
Transit: Adjacent to City Bus Station and Smart Bus from VA Tech, Blacksburg & New River Valley
Description: We are SW Virginia's dining destination located next to the Farmer's Market, Hotel Roanoke Conference Center and the Taubman Museum of Art. Alexander's is an oasis for casual upscale dining. Focusing on superb ingredients; fish, seafood, prime quality Virginia aged meats and locally sourced organic produce, our cuisine showcases years of collaboration among some of the most talented chefs of our region. We have been selected two years in a row as one of the Top 100 Restaurants in the US by OpenTable.
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and I dine at Alexander's often, and as frequent travelers and part-time residents of Manhattan, we have experienced and appreciate good food and service. We have never been disappointed at Alexander's. Every dining experience is paced perfectly, and the selection and quality of food is excellent. The staff is knowledgeable and professional yet never stuffy or snide as you find in some restaurants of this caliber. Whether you're looking for a special occasion or "any occasion" restaurant, rest assured Alexander's will not disappoint.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

My husband and I ate at Alexanders last evening. 2-26-11. We have lived here all of our lives and had yet to eat here however after reading so many positive reviews and having friends co workers tell us to try it out we gave it a try. We rarely dine in Roanoke as far as "Fine Dining" any how because we are in DC,Alexandria,Fairfax quite often due to my husbands work and tend to reserve our dining for when we are there yet last night we wanted to go out, so we did. I wish we had gone to the Library. First off as far as for the atmosphere it has much to be desired the table we sat in on the side wall was slanted tilted if you will. Very odd....the decor needs a desperate renovation.I realize the building is old however there are many cost conscious ways to renovate these days. Second the and most importantly was the food. I ordered the rack of lamb with cous cous 33 dollars I believe. There were only three and VERY small not tender VERY bland I am not the type of person who can eat huge portions however this was ridiculous. The portion was that of something prepared for a child. My husband ordered the Beef Filet portion of beef was adequate yet the taste was also VERY bland as if they had salt and peppered it and I kid you not I am NOT exaggerating a teaspoon size of mashed potato's with maybe 4 slivers of carrot's. The salad was good I can say. I am just extremely surprised at what we experienced at Alexanders. I am NEVER one to complain in fact when asked we stated that the dinner was ok I do NOT like nit pickers and people who complain about every little thing however I could not over look this particular experience. Perhaps the chef had a bad night perhaps what they ordered did not come in the way it should have who knows I just know that we wasted $130.00 and felt I needed to vent about it. I guess I should mention on a positive note that the staff was excellent and the wine was good. I hope this helps anyone who is contemplating an evening out to Alexanders anytime soon!!

2  Thank roanoke9296
travelhound4242, Owner at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2011

It is unfortunate that this diner did not enjoy her dinner. It is even more unfortunate that she did not take a moment to politely inform her server or a manger on duty that she was not happy with her table and her entrée. Perhaps she did not want the problems to be resolved?

Alexander’s values the comments and concerns of all of our customers. Please contact the management directly via telephone or email with a polite description of your concern or problem. We promise to respond as quickly as possible. We have a 32 year record of integrity, quality service and cuisine in addition to recognized, active service to our community and region.

Reviewed January 28, 2011

For the 15+ years we've lived in the area, we've kept Alexander's as our choice for special dinners out. They have never disappointed us. Excellent food quality, creative menu, impeccable service---no gimmicks, just consistently wonderful!

Reviewed October 23, 2010

My husband and I ate dinner here last night with two old friends and couldn't have been more delighted. Although the wine list included some very expensive bottles, the staff was very helpful and friendly when we asked for a bottle around $25 (they were not snooty at all) (I hate paying more than $30 for a bottle) and the wine was a real find. The ambiance was quiet and intimate and relaxed and the staff acted like the table was ours for as long as we wanted it. It couldn't have been a better venue for old friends to catch up. The food was fabulous, and the presentation was great. All 4 of us were very pleased. To the reviewer who said Alexander's charges NY or DC prices, I say: "Ha!", "Pffft!", and "Huh?" My husband and I just ate in Bethesda (DC suburbs) a few weeks ago and paid exactly double for the same quality, and DC would have been even more. We were shocked when we picked up the tab for four people and paid what we would normally pay for two.

travelhound4242, Manager at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2010

Thank you so much for your compliments and for your supportive words. Customer satisfaction via quality cuisine and service is our top priority! We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2010

I live in Roanoke and probably eat at Alexander's multiple times a year. The food has always been some of the best in Roanoke. It is consistent and of the highest quality. I travel to DC,New York and Chicago regularly and it rates highly ,compared to larger municipalities. I was shocked by the review that ranked it so low. Did they actually eat there? I dont believe it.

1  Thank burnbrae

Thank you so much for your compliments and for your supportive words. The staff at Alexander's is commited to delivering an exceptional dining experience to all of our customers at a reasonable price. We appreciate all of the customers who take the time to give us feedback. Thank you!

Been to Alexander's? Share your experiences!