“JUST LIKE FAMILY...”

Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
California
“JUST LIKE FAMILY...”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

OMG... We traveled across country for a new job... (Eastcoast to Westcoast) and decided to stay at Best Western's the entire route... this by far was the best location, service, and genuine kindness from the staff... from exchanging a pillow at 9:30 at night... making me a fresh pot of coffee at 3am... and making sure I was safely back in my room... It was so nice I almost didn't want to leave! Stay here if you want to be treated like family and not just a hotel guest...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Macon, North Carolina
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My oldest brother and I made the trip to Roanoke to visit the Link museum and the Virginia Transportation museum. We had also hoped to visit the History museum of Western Va, but just ran out of time.My brother who turns 80 in July, grew-up with steam train engines,and when I told him about the pictures in the museum along with the recordings of trains---he had to go.We stayed at the hotel 2 nights, and were very pleased with the room, the 2 double beds,the recliner,the desk,free hi-speed internet,and especially the quiet rooms. I was disappointed that the breakfast had run out of yogurt,but otherwise there was good variety of choices, although the seating space is somewhat limited for a hotel of this size.The staff was helpful in selecting restaurants, and I especially recommend Harbor Inn Seafood.It's about a 3 mile drive,but you get huge servings of broiled or fried seafood at a very reasonable price. I had shrimp,flounder and a deviled crab for less than $10. It's not a chain restaurant,and the service was very good too.Smokey Bones restaurant(a chain) was Ok, but the music was far too loud to be able to talk at dinner.Also, ate lunch at IHOP--hard to beat for a good sandwich at a fair price. If you like trains or if you're a photography buff, DO NOT miss the Link museum. The man was an artist,with his lighting and film. He recorded a simpler time in Western Virginia that's gone forever----except in his images. As far as the Best Western, I will stay there again, when I next visit Roanoke. If you're a shopper, you've hit the mother lode of shopping malls in the immediate area!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Found a discount coupon in a Hotels Discount brochure at the Virginia Welcome Center and paid $59 for the night instead of $89.

The woman at Reception was very friendly - we had arrived very late at night. The room was big with two double beds and a desk. Everything was clean with the exception of one of the towels having yellow stains (stains that didn't go away after being laundered) on it.

Breakfast was basic with a nice seating area. They had bagels, blueberry muffins, yogurts, milk, cereals, bread slices, readymade oatmeal plus instant oatmeal and grits. There were also eggs (like you would get on a flight), sausage and french toast, all of which you could heat up in the microwave. Coffee (and a cappucino machine - the cappucino was too sweet) and juice were available too.

This hotel was easy to find though we had to take a couple of small roads from the highway to get to it. The staff was very friendly, especially the woman at concierge and the staff managing the breakfast room.

Free wi-fi in the rooms and free parking.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Everyone couldn't have been more accomodating. The hotel was very clean, the rooms were quite nice. Despite a busy time,the front desk was very efficient and patient. We found the best part of all was that every person that worked there greeted us with a genuine smile. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Killen, AL
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Was very impressed with this hotel, I was a little suspect when I saw the price as it is about $30 cheaper then I normally pay. The room was large, well decorated and very warm feeling. The room had a excercise bike, I have never seen this and thought this was great. I plan to use this hotel again wehn visiting clients. The staff was very helpful and pleasent. My only complaint was I was I got there late and left early so I didnt get to enjoy the hotel as much as I would of liked too.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
willingboro,nj
Reviewed March 1, 2010

This was the first stop on a trip to relocate to California from NJ. The weather driving down was horrible and it was nice to finally get out of the car and fall into the wonderful warm soft bed and sleep. The items offered for breakfast were fresh and of a good variety. Also there are plenty of restaurants and shopping right outside the front door.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Southington, CT
Reviewed February 19, 2010

We make it a point to stay at Best Western at Valley View every year on our way to and from Florida.
The hotel rooms are immaculate and we really appreciate having a mini refrigerator and microwave in our room.
We like to order in after a long day's drive, and we actually drive an extra 60 miles to get to the Inn in Roanoke. The refrigerator and microwave are a great help.
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful.
The breakfast is more than one could hope for and we will continue to stay there on our way back and forth.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple