“A good experience”

Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Fort Worth, Texas
“A good experience”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Employees were very helpful. The rates were good. The rooms were clean. On checkout we divided the room charges and the desk person was was very nice about it. Some hotel chains give us problems.overall experience was very good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Barbaraoes
Lori W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi there Barbara! That was me (Lori) that had the pleasure of checking you and your friends out! Glad to do it for you...after all...it's whatever YOU want.

I know you ladies had a good time. I hope you can come back again and see us.

Take care and call me at 540-362-2300 or email me at teamlori@yahoo.com if you need anything.

Lori Womack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I recently spent a week at the Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View in Roanoke, Virginia while attending a conference. I found the hotel to be conveniently located to restaurants, the Civic Center, churches and shopping. The staff was pleasant and helpful; the rooms clean and spacious; and the breakfast food and facility contributed to a pleasant beginning to my day. This was my second stay at the Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View and I am sure it will not be my last.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Rex G
Rex,

How kind of you to take some time to review us! I'm glad you had a positive experience. It seems we recently missed cleaning someone's room and they were very disappointed. We never want to disappoint.

Are you planning on coming back soon? Call me at 540-362-2400 or email me at teamlori@yahoo.com and I'll make the reservation for you!

Much appreciated,
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed June 1, 2014

First of all, please check my other reviews. I do try to be fair and not randomly throw out bad reviews. I am also not a confrontational person, so it takes a LOT to get me to go to a desk to complain, much less three mornings in a row.

I stayed here for twelve nights, while helping a friend clear out several local properties.

The first night I arrived, the front desk told me the hotel was full. It was late, I had already put in an eight hour drive, and several hours getting started on our project. I was hot, dirty, and tired. I went in to find my room had not been cleaned, but it appeared the bed linen and towels were fresh, so I just hosed the hair out of the shower, used it and went to bed.

The ned morning I asked the front desk to please see that my room was cleaned, and they assured me it would be. That night, same scenario. I got in very late, saw the room had still not been cleaned, figured I would deal with it in the morning, and went to bed. I also had only toilet paper scraps remaining and one piece of kleenex, which I rationed.

Next morning, i went back to the front desk, told them I was out of toilet paper, my bath mat was now missing, the TV wasn't working, and my room still wasn't clean. Within moments I had a new roll of TP, the TV remote had been fixed, and the manager was on the room phone, apologizing that there was a new cleaning lady on my floor, and that they'd been booked solid. She said she'd clean the room herself if need be. Great! Problem solved, right? Nope.

That night I returned to find my room STILL hadn't been cleaned, and now all I had was towels. No bath mat, no wash cloths, no hand towels. It was 11pm, I was hot, dirty and tired from fifteen hours of clearing a basement, and I just fell into bed.

I have arthritis, and I stretch on a mat every morning, home or away. There is nothing grosser than being on a mat on a hotel floor, at eye level with some previous occupant's detritus.The same crumbs, gobs of hair, fluff, and rubber hair bands were in the same places on the floor as when I checked in three days earlier. Good heavens, ALL I wanted was a good vacuum!!!!! At this point, I marched down to the front desk and pitched a hissy fit, telling them that I would be checking out nine days early if my room wasn't taken care of. That was the only thing that seemed to get their attention.

When I returned that night, I immediately saw that my room had been vacuumed (although the same rubber hair bands were in a different place on the floor, so it was a lackadaisical job), if not dusted (there was a layer of dust on everything in the room throughout my stay). Thank heaven for small mercies, though, since I desperately wanted that vacuuming done.

For the next few days, I left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, figuring it best to leave well enough alone. BTW, room service did come in the room, several times, even with the sign hung on the door.

About half way through my twelve day stay, I did as the front desk instructed me and removed the sign, so i would get a fresh change of linens. Room service carefully made up the bed- using the same old sheets. I left the sign off the next morning, and same thing. Bed made, but no fresh sheets- although they were generous with fresh towels.

There were brown spatters on the walls by the toilet (ugh), and a hole in the wall stuffed with toilet paper. The wallpaper was peeling off in sheets over the shower. A big pile of dried mud stayed in the stairwell for two days before anyone did anything about it. The fridge in the cupboard knocked and banged so much at night that I nervously checked the closet a couple of times before I realized what the racket was. Whatever they use to dust instead leaves grease which attracts dust. All three of the room lamps looked greasy and sticky, and it was apparent that no effort had been made to dust the room before or at any point after I arrived. The chest where you lay your suitcase had enough dust that I amused myself by writing my name in it. I guess at this point, I was just looking for stuff, because I was so upset, so maybe I crossed into the nitpicking zone. I did, however, appreciate the lounge chair, and the "daylight" bulb in the bathroom. The room was spacious, and the breakfast lady was pleasant, as were the people at the front desk (others took over from them when I complained).

Oh well, cie la vie. My friend had paid in advance for my room, and I just didn't want to pester him, since I knew he was already stressed out with the project we were working on. When I checked out, they gave me a copy of the bill for his records. I nearly fell out when I saw it was over $100 a night. NO way!!!!

I stayed in a budget hotel in Frankfurt last month, which was half the price, and room size, but a thousand times more pleasant a stay. My suggestion would be that this hotel send someone over to the Meininger Hotel to study how a hotel can be run as both a budget AND a first class operation.

The Best Western Plus at Valley View comes acrost as a one night, one time highway stay, where people come and go and don't have time to stop to complain.

I really dislike leaving a bad review, but doggone it, it took from arrival on Monday til sometime Thursday just to get my room vacuumed. I never got clean replacement sheets during my 12 night stay, nor did the room appear to have been dusted in donkey's years. I don't have particularly high expectations out of a hotel other than safety and cleanliness. So even though the last nine days of my stay were OK, the overall experience was just unacceptable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank springlering
Lori W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
I hear you......and I'm speechIless (which is rare for me!)

Ok.....I've regained my ability to speak now. ;-)

As I look back at all of our awesome reviews.....I think "I know we're not perfect . We try really hard to exceed our guests expectations, but we're not perfect. Someone's going to have a negative experience. I mean a truly negative experience". And here you are!

I do indeed remember talking to you and telling you that I'd come up and clean your room. And I remember the Executive Housekeeper telling me there were many things in and about the room that made it difficult to clean around, but I truly didn't hear anything more and really thought that the issue had been resolved. But you are absolutely correct....it's unacceptable. I profusely apologize and ask that you contact me at teamlori@yahoo.com so I can somehow compensate you for the negative experience that you had. I'm not even suggesting that we can throw discounts around just to pacify an unhappy guest. But I need to do something!

I do want to add that your disappointment, our failure to correct your issues and the seemingly disconnection that we had with you....YOU....our guest.....the only reason we're here..... will be used as a training tool for our newer staff (and seasoned ones). Maybe we needed this to gently remind us before we got off track that it's what YOU want....at YOUR convenience.

Lastly, I'm sure we could learn a lot from other hotels...as they can learn off of us (trading ideas always helps), but even the Meininger Hotel in Frankfurt has some very negative reviews. It happens...I understand that.....and I know you understand that too!

Thank you very, very much for taking the time to leave me your comments. I'll take it from here and I promise to do everything in my power to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We had a wonderful time and the hotel staff was exceptional. The front desk staff were always smiling and trying to assist everyone with directions and places to dine. Our room was clean and housekeeping did an excellent job everyday for us. Breakfast staff kept providing hot items to the buffet and endless supply of yogurt, coffee and fruit. The only problem I encounter was having to wait for the desk clerk (at that time it was the General Manager working relief), to finish with another guest. It took quite some time as the gentleman was abusive, very vocal and quite possibly only wanted to complain so he could be heard - by what I assume he considered his subordinates. Other then the unpleasantness of his behavior and his compete disregard for social behavior - our trip was terrific.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank traveloes
Lori W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Virgina Beach friend!

We had such a great time with that group of ladies (and their gents)! We host them every year...and every year we have a blast!

I remember that "gentleman" you refer to. How could I forget? I've been in the hospitality industry since 1987 and I've had my share of mean, condescending people. He ranks up there in the top 5! BUT! We rarely get that kind of behavior at our hotel. We're fortunate enough to have guests that match our personality...fun, patient and we don't sweat the small stuff!

In this man's case, he did have ONE legitimate complaint...and we remedied that immediately. But he wanted to be seen, heard and acknowledged....and that's okay by me. He had his say...and he's allowed to do that. I just wish he wouldn't have kept at it for the entire time he was there (which I believe was five days). I ended up giving him his entire stay free because he said he was so miserable there. (Although I offered to move him to another room or another hotel...which he declined to do). I also received a letter from him after his departure. He definitely kept in character. Maybe we'll get a review here on Tripadvisor from him. I invited him to do so......stay tuned!

In summary, it takes all kinds of wonderful...and not so wonderful...people. And while it's so nice to have kind and fun guests....we're here for everyone. And I can empathize with people that pay to sleep here and then aren't happy. Hey! If I didn't love all of you guests....I wouldn't be here!

See you next year?

Leonardtown, Maryland
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights and the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent and well stocked. It did take awhile to get the room made up as there were a lot of check outs. It was a good hotel for the money.

• Stayed May 2014
Such a nice review! Thanks much!

Oh, my gosh....we were soooo busy when you were here. We were hittin' those rooms as fast as we could. But, you're right....so many guests were checking out AND others checking in at the same time! The thing is though...we had to make sure that, while we were cleaning faster than usual, we didn't miss anything. (So easy to do when you're in a hurry). Rooms still have to pass inspection before we hand them over to our guests. But that's where the management team and the housekeeping staff works so well together. As the AWESOME housekeepers cleaned, the managers pitched in making beds (what? no complaints about sheets being crooked?)

And so in the end....at this hotel....it's all about helping each other towards one common goal....YOU BEING HAPPY! Glad to hear you were happy!

Please come back again soon.

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here the night of May 27th. It was fantastic. The employees were very friendly and rooms very clean and well maintained. Close to every conceivable restaurant or store. Only one small small complaint...I'd give the beds a 3 out of 5. Good warm breakfast in the morning with everything available. Would DEFINATELY stay here again as it was less expensive than the other hotels around.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Schrek! Hi there! Thanks for the review. You're so kind.

I can hardly wait for you to come back and visit us again! We're making plans to upgrade our mattresses again soon...so that 3 out of 5 is going to go to a 6 out of 5. Wait! That's impossible! ;-)

Thank you again for leaving some feedback about us. Call me at 540-362-2400 or email me at teamlori@yahoo.com and I'll make the reservations for you the next time you're in town.

Westminster, California
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We gave this an Excellent review because it was Excellent. Room, Continental breakfast, facilites were nice.. Lori the Manager, all staff were friendly and courteous. Room was very nice and we stayed 7 days. Again, Thanks !!!! Also, very close to Airport, if you are using a rental car.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Frank S,

Hello again! We were so happy that you allowed us to be your "home" for a week while in the area! I hope you make it back to the east coast again soon.

Ms. Womack

To the readers: Many of the reviews you find on the website are from our awesome guests that have only been able to stay with us one night. While we appreciate them very, very much...it's difficult to know if these guests were able to take full advantage of our hotel. In other words, did the guest position themselves to really be able to give a good review? Whether a person didn't get any sleep and left tired because of something I missed......or the person was wowed by their room...one night is a difficult indicator.

This review however, along with our guests that are repeat visitors, can really give you insight to what we are actually like. Not perfect...by ANY means....but always striving to get there. The reviewer stayed an entire week with us. He probably forgave some negatives, but I believe he saw that we really care and worked hard for him to enjoy his stay. I also believe we want you to stay with us......MORE than our neighbors do!

Ask Frank S more questions if you have any. Or you can email me at teamlori@yahoo.com or call me at 540-362-2400 and I'll be happy to help!