“Nice place, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View

BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
“Nice place, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Got in at 4am and got promptly to my room... I am a light sleeper and I was able to sleep through housekeeping working in the rooms around me, for which I am grateful! Either the walls are well insulated, or they stayed really quiet for me... but either way, thank you, BW Roanoke!

My only complaint is I called the desk at 10:50 to let them know I was running a few minutes late for check out, and they said no problem... But called me back at 11:01 to rush me out the door. I explained I had called a few minutes prior and they calmed down and told me to take my time but it was still frustrating feeling rushed.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Saltinakis....(hmmm..interesting name...there's a story somewhere there I'll bet)

Thanks much for the review. Sounds like two different departments called you...or the front desk had a Momentary Lapse of Reason. Seriously, I didn't know that it happened, but I apologize.

Glad you stayed!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Lititz, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel was nice. Staff was very friendly upon check-in and told us about discounts for local restaurants. Room was good but a little difficult to control the temperature so we were either bundled up or without covers most of the night. Pool area was nice but temperature of the water was too cold for adults. The kids didn't care so they had a great time. No hot tub. Breakfast was good but the eating area was very small. We were traveling with a party of 11 and had we all been down at breakfast at once, there would have been no room for anyone else. Biscuits and gravy were very tasty. Overall, this is a nice hotel with friendly staff.

Cseventeenh,

Oh, how I wish I could have persuaded you to give us more than a three out of five! BUT, you gave me some very good feedback...and THAT is what reviews and surveys and all that good stuff is about. Actually, that's how I decide how I need to manage.....depending what our guests say about us.

Isn't it nice to know you're being heard? ;-)
Bradenton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Tastefully redecorated and functional. Best recliner I ever sat in. The small rubber ducky that decorated the tub was a charming touch. When I spotted this "older" hotel I was afraid I had been steered wrong by reviews, but the rooms, friendly desk personnel and breakfast were all pleasant surprises. Food was all individually wrapped and ample for breakfast. The scrambled eggs in perfect circles scared me, but were actually quite tasty. Lots of fruit and yogurt for me and waffles for hubby. Given that our favorite Roanoke hotel has gotten so pricey, I would definately stay here again and would recommend it without question.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
How nice to hear from one of our many Floridian friends. Thanks for the great review!

We are an older hotel...but we are newly renovated and have killer customer service. I think we do so well with service because we have to work twice as hard as #1 (which may have been your regular hotel at one time...hope we are now)!

Stop by again soon. We loved having you visit!
Cambridge, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Continued our road trip to hotel number four at Roanoke, before starting on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The hotel had been highly rated on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. We were looking for a good overnight stop and at $123 for a large ground floor double with twin queen beds it was ideal. Although the hotel did not have its own guest laundry we were able to use the facilities at the adjacent Comfort Inn (Big thanks to young receptionist at The Comfort who could not have been more helpful). The receptionist at the Best Western was equally helpful and pleasant. The big downside was the small breakfast area and the poor quality of breakfast. We had seen previous comments, and they were not wrong! (Anyway, this prompted us to stop for an early lunch/brunch on the Parkway at Mabry Mill, a real treat!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Lori W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hello friend from across the pond!

Good news! We're getting our own washer and dryer soon, a fitness room and also enlarging our breakfast area...so watch out #1.

We're very glad you stopped by to say hello and stay with us! I don't think I got to meet you...or did I? Hopefully next time we'll get to chat!

Cheers!
Delta Junction
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

First time staying at this hotel. It is one nice place to stay. The staff were great everyone was friendly and went out of there way to help not only us but everyone that was checking at the same time as us. If you can get the suite, room 200 please do. That room is great, a little expensive but with the managers discount it was a great deal. Plenty of places to eat close by and the breakfast was good southern food.

Room Tip: Choose room 200 if possible, ask for mangers discount.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello Ernie W.

Such nice words for us! Yes, the suite is nice...very roomy. We only have one suite so it's not available a lot but I'm glad you were able to grab it!

Come back and see us soon? We'd love it!
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at Best Western . What stood out the most was the Managment and Staff . Lori and Tim were more than helpful for allowing me to stay on a fully booked hotel . The clerks at the front desk are also AWESOME, especially Tiara Cobbs ! The hotel is beautiful , very clean room housekeeping kept my room well maintained. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone !

• 5 of 5 stars
Michael, Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm so glad we were able to squeeze you in. And I know that Best Western overall appreciates your loyalty to us.

Did you know Tiara is brand new? In fact she's still in training. I'll make sure she sees your comments.

Take care and we hope to see you again soon.
Rochester, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were travelling the Parkway and stopped in Roanoke for the night...a Sunday night. No rooms available except here. A tournament in town. I haven't stayed at a Best Western in a long time. Now I remember why. The room was dirty and musty. The beds were uncomfortable and small...double? don't think so. However I could not be picky since nothing else was available. It was barely adequate but would not normally have stayed there. The complimentary breakfast was a joke and the closet it is served in. Seriously folks 3 tables???? They would be better off dumping the breakfast reducing the price and put some money in the beds. After all its a hotel that you sleep in that I pay for not the food.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Hello there SM!

I really appreciate you stopping to take the time to review our hotel. I always try to find something to help guide me on where I'm missing the target so that we can do better for our next guests. Not all hotels do that. I think managers get caught up in the daily tasks and just think "It is what it is"..."We are what we are", but I listen...and care....and try to change things.

I'm not going to bore you with a recap of this summer's weather, but Roanoke has had a VERY wet summer. I'm thinking of starting a rice field (wink). Seriously, it's rained here nearly every day...and at least three or four days out of every week. That makes for damp, humid air and makes it nearly impossible to keep that humidity out of our rooms (and keep a curl in my hair!)

The effect is a musty smell in the rooms. What do we do to combat that? Well...every day we've been running the dehumidifier in the rooms, keeping fans on and when it's dry and warm out, we're opening doors and windows. Basically, whatever we can do to dry up the inside. It definitely keeps us on our toes!

And I never like correcting a guest....so, yes we (like all of the other hotels in the region) have had some damp air to contend with. BUT, our hotel is NOT dirty! We have a clean, newly-renovated hotel with people who really care tending to our guests' needs. We do NOT have queen-sized mattresses, never have...but someday we may change them. So, yep! You were in a room with two Double-sized beds.

The breakfast? Oh...I'm just going to say "see below" on that one....with one exception. We actually have seven tables...and a complete renovation is slated for this fall. Stay tuned!

I hate to see bad reviews, but we know we can't make everyone happy all of the time. That's our goal, but we know everyone has preferences. You obviously didn't like our hotel...but all Best Western's are different. Don't count out the other ones...you'll miss out on some fantastic hotels!

And since you weren't happy with your hotel visit, I refunded your complete stay. I never want anyone to pay for something that they think was this bad!

If you want to give me some more pointers, please email me at: teamlori@yahoo.com

Thanks again,