“Nice stay”

Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
“Nice stay”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way home from a long road-trip vacation.
When I think of Best Western, I don't really think of a super hotel, but this wasn't bad at all.
When we arrived, no one was at the front desk. We waited a while but since no one came around, we called and the guy was carrying the phone. He was upstairs helping out with an issue someone was having. If this happens to you, just call the number!
We noticed that the pool is right in the front of the hotel with windows ALL around facing inside and out. For this reason, we did not use the pool. It was sort of awkward. I don't understand why the entire wall is a window facing inside the entrance of the hotel.
We did not take advantage of the complimentary breakfast so I cannot comment on that.
Our room was nice and comfortable. We also noticed that the windows are very sound-proof. Our room was next to the highway and I'm pretty sure there was an airport nearby, if I remember correctly, and we couldn't hear anything!
I really have no complaints here. The hotel was in a good area with lots of things around. Of course, we got here later on a Sunday so the mall (right down the road) was closed already. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from too!
I would stay here again if needed and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Bellingham,Washington
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I liked the friendly manner of the front desk staff when we checked in, making us feel right at home after a long drive, and I loved how beautiful our room was! The decor was several steps above any other chain hotel I'd been in, from the beautiful bedding to the luxurious "relaxing" chair to the spacious furniture piece (not sure what to call it) with the TV on top of it, large drawers for guests' clothing, and a microwave and small fridge, out of sight but very convenient! I also appreciated having plenty of coat hangers -- that's not always the case.

Full marks also for a well-chosen desk, desk light, and comfortable desk chair -- all essential to those of us who like to stay online when we travel. The bathroom was attractive, the toiletries a definite step up from the usual, and the rubber ducky made me smile!

Our only complaint -- and it was not the hotel's fault -- was that there was a large truck carrying refrigerated goods in the parking lot that our window faced, and the refrigeration unit ran off and on, loudly, through the night. We didn't notice this until we were back from dinner and about to go to bed, and were too tired to even think of asking for a room change, but we did mention it when we checked out the next morning. The front desk person apologized for the disturbance and said steps would be taken to be sure that it didn't happen again.

Bottom line, we enjoyed our overnight here before flying home the next morning -- and you can't find a better location than this for a VERY quick drive to the airport -- and would definitely stay here again!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stay at the Roanoke Best Western Frequently for business (about once a month). They always take care of whatever I need! Their management staff really wants every customer's stay to be a great one and they go above and beyond the call of duty. My room is also always clean when I get there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Roanoke. You also get discounts at nearby restaurants when you show your room card, another bonus!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lori W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hello Lala! I wish I knew who you were to thank you in person for the great review!

The thing I really want to convey to people trying to decide what hotel to stay at is, we really do care about our guests. Your comfort is our first priority. Of course we are a business and want to make money but we're in the business of caring for people and we really do care.

Thank you again for your comments lalaflowers...whoever you may be!
Powhatan, VA
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a new property among a group of hotels at Valley View Mall, right off I-581. Check in was friendly and right away Jackie helped with a couple of minor glitches. First the vending machine hung up my purchase, she came right away and refunded my money so, I tried again and this time got my purchase. Then my room wouldn't open although the key card worked. Back to reception and Jackie came and got it open (memo to maintenance, it is balky and needs work). Rooms are clean. As a new property they seem to have taken cues from Hampton Inn for furniture, Holiday Inn Express for bedding. Bathroom has generous toiletries and towels. For those concerned about germs, the TV remote is a Clean Remote which supposedly reduces infections from such objects by 99%. Breakfast is nothing special.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the parking lot and are quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank visitingfrominstate
Hello friend from Powhatan! Actually our hotel is around 17 years old but we try very hard every day to keep it looking fresh and new.

Kudos to Jackie for helping you with the issues that arose. She's one of the many caring associates that we have here and she LOVES seeing her name on Tripadvisor!

Thank you for the kind review!
Pinehurst, North Carolina
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband & I travel extensively, and this hotel is one of the best that we have ever stayed, even comparing it to some of the top hotel chains in the country. The room was quiet, comfortable, and recently updated. The morning breakfast was delicious and had something for everyone. And the hotel staff was friendly and very helpful, especially Jackie and Timothy, who always greeted us with a smile. The best surprise was finding the rubber ducky in our bathroom when we checked in. We knew as soon as we arrived that we were at a top-notch property. I highly recommend this hotel in the area. It can't be beat!

Room Tip: Room temperature was perfect and bedding was extra comfortable
2 Thank NCBridger
Five Stars! Wow! What a compliment! I surely appreciate the review that you've given us. There are so many great hotels in Roanoke, and we're very proud that we're one of them. Please come back to see us soon.
Toronto
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The handicapped room was at the far end of the hotel, where there were no reserved parking spaces. Very popular end of the carpark to get access though the side door
My reservation said that it included a full breakfast. The hotel information said that it was a deluxe continetal breakfast. The truth was nowhere near either. Waffle mix, wrapped muffins (how old?) and a choice of cold cereal.
The price was low and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lori W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Timtim,

Thank you so much for giving us your feedback. Not all reviews can be "lollipops and rainbows", (but I sure do love lollipops and rainbows).

Yes, we do have two of our ADA accessible rooms on the back end of our first floor. They are right near the back door where there is usually plenty of parking. I'm sorry you had difficulty finding a convenient space. That end of the building is normally quiet. A quick call to the front desk to ask "what else do you have" usually results in finding a compatible location for our guests...but not always.

We do wrap our pastries and baked goods...and here is why: They come to us already baked. (I wish I could say that we were in the kitchen at 4:00 am making fresh biscuits like Hardee's...but we're not). These baked goodies come in "flats" with a dozen sealed in one package. We used to just put them straight into the serving case, but our guests were telling us that they were a bit dry...so I decided to start wrapping them for freshness. We wrap these every day. So, how old? I guess you could say "As old as today's weather".

You didn't mention the rest of our menu...so I'd like to do that here. You have a choice of the following (or you could eat one of each...your choice): ham and cheese omelets, egg patties, burritos, hash browns, sausage links, sausage patties, biscuits, sausage gravy, fresh Belgian waffles, fresh bananas, apples and grapefruit cups, toast (wheat and white), bagels (three flavors), danishes, cinnamon rolls, blueberry crumbcake, oatmeal, grits, cold cereals (six varieties), whole milk, 2% milk, yogurts (variety flavors), coffee, tea, orange and apple juice!

I'd also like to add that if you are coming in again soon...email me what you would like to have for breakfast and I'll do everything I can to make that happen. My email is: teamlori@yahoo.com.

Please know that you're NOT going to get the Hotel Roanoke's $15 brunch menu...but our food is good, hot and filling. Yes, you really do get what you pay for! I'm proud of that!
Essex Junction VT
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was a busy hotel - and could have been noisy and unpleasant - I was nervous getting a first floor room during my 7 day stay (plus, the room was close to the elevator and the ice machine - YIKES) - I was very pleasantly surprised that my stay was very quiet, the staff was religiously courteous and helpful, the environment was spotless. A special shout out to Tina T. and a superior housekeeping staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Christina! It's oh...so kind of you to say such nice things about us!! We really love our jobs and taking care to make sure you are happy comes natural to us. I will say though that if you EVER get a room that you aren't happy with, or are nervous about the location, simply tell us. We want you to be completely comfortable with your surroundings (even if it means moving to another hotel...if that hotel would meet your needs better).

Also, Tina is one of our many shining stars and she'll be giddy to see her name on Tripadvisor! (yes...I said giddy) ;-)

Please come and see us again soon.