“comfy nice clean”

Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“comfy nice clean”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Donte @ ck in was wonderful..great personality n very helpful..
room good size, beds comfy, clean ...fridge..coffee..microwave..kids enjoyed the pool n breakfast..
Libby ck out great.. sweet, kind..easy out..
Kenny... awsome... havent met someone that nice n kind in a long time..
over all ...great for stop over n quick rest before more miles on the rd..location next to airport n mall..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travel3Pa
Lori W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind words. We try to treat our guests exactly how we like to be treated, (with respect, kindness and care)

Libby, Donte and Kenny are just a few of our outstanding partners. I'm glad you mentioned them! They love seeing there names in lights! (wink)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel when I took the Virginia Bar exam. I would not choose to do it again. The problem was that the hotel was incredibly humid. It wasn't the hallways or the lobby--it was our actual room. The blankets were heavy with moisture, and the carpet felt wet on my feet. I was told that the carpets had been cleaned before our visit. This is probably why the room was wet, but it is NOT acceptable to house people in a room with wet carpets. When I got home to my house after the bar, my clothes in my suitcase still felt wet.

In addition, one of the hotel staff members was way too "familiar." What he clearly saw as playful banter was nothing but obnoxious.

As far as location, this hotel is very close to the civic center where the bar exam is offered. It's probably about a 7-minute drive WITHOUT traffic. Keep in mind that thousands of people are taking the exam, so there WILL be traffic heading to the civic center. It's also close to a Starbucks (very important).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Oh my! I'm very sorry to hear that your carpet was wet! We do shampoo are carpets on a regular basis to keep them looking good, however we only open up rooms to rent that (time-wise) the carpets should be dry. I think because it was so humid out it took a little longer than usual to dry. I can't say if you reported it to the front desk, but I checked and found no record of it nor did any of the clerks know of it. Other than your experience, my other worry is...this is how mildew grows. So we try to always keep our rooms nice and dry. I apologize again.
I can also understand how you would think that our "banter" is too familiar. We have the kind of guests that like to talk, are laid back and feel right at home with us. So it's easy to forget that not everyone likes to chat when they arrive. You said the clerk was a he, but honestly it sounds more like what I would do more than any of my staff. I like to chit-chat and not everyone likes it. I think it may have been an attempt to relax you more than anything because everyone is so nervous before they take the exam. I'll remember that next year when the nervous Bar exam takers (is that a word?) arrive.
Lastly, if you wouldn't stay here for the Bar exam, don't stay here at all because we are the same all of the time. We're friendly, chatty and yes.....err...I guess sometimes it comes off as being obnoxious.
Masillon
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We brought our team down to Virginia for a tournament. There was a little confusion in the beginning, getting us all checked in. It was nice to see how the staff took care of the issue and made sure everything was correct. We had a great stay; the staff was wonderful and extremely friendly. The rooms were nice and clean, excellent locations and would definitely stay here again. Special thank you to the lady running the breakfast bar, she went the extra mile to make sure all our kids were taken care of.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Scott D
Thanks so much Scott for the great review! Your team was well-mannered and it was our pleasure to host you! Hopefully you'll be back again next year for the tournament. It will be great to see all of you again!
philly
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We recently stayed overnight for a business trip to NC & this hotel is great. Clean, smelled fresh, staff was very friendly, even gave us some chocolates! The breakfast was good, rooms big, good TV, great water pressure. Great experience overall!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jceschan
Lori W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Hello, friend from Philly!

Your review was very kind! Maybe you could make a commercial for me some day! I would pay you with all the chocolate mints you could eat! :)

Come back soon!
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2012

First of all, the front desk personel were very nice and pleasant. That's the good news. The TV only picked up a hand full of stations, called and they said "oh, we know about that, we'll send a tech up tomorrow to look at it"...after letting them know that I was only stating for a day, they said "well, you pre-paid, we can't do anything about the rate, we'll give you double points". I am not signed up for best western points, nor did he ask me if i was. After checking out, getting my invoice which showed a zero balance, i got two additonal charges on my debit card from the hotel. I called this morning, and the gentleman said "Oh yes, I can fix that" explaining that they had updated the computer system and it was changing people's rates. No attempt at an apology. The room was decent, however the lack of any sort of decent customer service has soured me on staying at a Best Western.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mark C
I waited a few weeks to respond because this guest continued to email me (eight times to be exact) and was positive that we "stole" $20 from him. The truth is that he couldn't get a channel that he wanted. I'm not sure what he means by a handful of channels being available, because most were, but evidentally the channel that he wanted was not available.
He also prepaid for his room, but when our computers updated, the rate did indeed changet. ( I don't believe this has ever happened before but it really did happen this time). We ask all guests to look over their bill the next morning and make sure it is correct. I cannot say whether he noticed that the computer charged an additional amount automatically or not, but he did not bring it to our attention and the morning clerk did not notice it.
The next morning he called and spoke with Tim who apologized, explained and immediately refunded the extra $20. But this guest continued to email me saying that we stole money from him. I emailed him that we actually credited him the money, but he responded very negatively. I can understand his frustration, but it was a very honest mistake.
Also this guest was indeed a Best Western Rewards member. The night he called down to inquire about the channels, we added 500 points to his account. He said he was not a member, but he had an account with his name and address before he arrived at our hotel.
We strive to make things run smoothly here, but sometimes there are glitches. I believe it is HOW you respond to challenges that indicate how much you care....and we do care. Thanks for reading this.
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The room was spacious and immaculate. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Lobby and other general areas were clean and nicely decorated. Great breakfast included! Ideal location for people touring the Shenandoah Valley, Skyline Drive, or Luray Cavern.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry (who is Larry 24 hours a day...7 days a week).... we appreciate your review! I hope you come back soon and visit us.

We're so close to the Blue Ridge Parkway...even have some packages we're working on to create an awesome experience for our friends. Have a suggestions for hikers, bikers, naturalists, bird watchers or Sunday drivers? I'm all ears!
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

It has a Great location centered in the Valley View mall area with plenty of entertainment and dining within walking distance.
The staff is Awesome always friendly and willing to assist you with anything you might need.
The rooms are always clean and prepared when you get there with Great accomodations to suit your needs
Lori and her staff do a fantastic job on making sure your stay is great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Mark...I'm flattered...truely.

The story about this guest goes back to last year. I received a call one afternoon from this man telling me that he stayed the previous night and wanted to bring his entire company over to our hotel from our competitor (nice place...but our competitor nontheless). It seems that he had tried to check in as usual, but someone forgot to make him a reservation...so he was sent over to us at Best Western PLUS. He LIKED IT...HEY MIKEY!

We negotiated a reasonable and honest rate...... and now? His entire company stays with us weekly...and we enjoy having them with us very much!

Do you have company lodging that you need someone to take care of...whether once a year or five times a week? We'll take care of it all! Just let me know and we'll shape an agreement up that we'll both love!