“Great Customer Service!”

Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Our flight was cancelled due to "mechanical" issues and were forced to stay the night unexpectedly (no reservation).
I called Mary (Asst. Mgr) and she took care of everything. She arranged for our pick up from the airport with the courtesy van. She also informed me that since I had such an early flight in the morning (5a), it would be best to set up a taxi cab ($8). It sure was cheaper than renting a car for the night.
Upon arrival, everything was set and ready to go. Sandy took care of everything and gave us a quiet location room since she knew we would be getting to bed early. She also provided some excellent choices, recommendations, and coupons for dinner!
In the morning, Valerie gave us our morning wake-up call and informed that she would take care of the taxi cab. Upon check-out, she had already printed out the receipt and made checking out really easy.
Based on the service that was provided here, I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling thru the area.
We were not able to enjoy the Free HOT Breakfast since we left so early.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed here while my husband was taking his bar exam at the Roaonke Civic Center. I love the closeness to the Mall and the restaurants surrounding the mall- it is only a block or two. I also really liked that when we checked in, there were directions from the hotel to the Civic Center for the test- I thought that was AWESOME customer service. I also LOVED the price I got - this is one of expedia's deals where you get a good price and they tell you the hotel name after you book (the only problem being you don't get to choose the number of beds/king or 2 doubles is the hotel's choice). Once I figured out exactly where I was going, it was very easy to get back and forth between the Civic Center and the hotel. The beds were very comfortable, as was the layout of the room. The internet worked well and the room was very nice. Also the breakfast is more than continental- they have hot items like eggs, bacon, sausage and gravy, and breakfast burrios. The lady who is in charge of the breakfast area was also VERY sweet making conversation and making sure I didn't need something more to eat. Also the ladies at the desk were very friendly and our housekeeper was very sweet and efficient and cleaned our room super well.

Cons: On the second day, I asked for a late checkout because I knew my husband wouldn't be done with the test until about 5 and I really didn't want to drive around in my car from 11am, which is checkout, until 5. I was told that they are only allowed to give 3 rooms late checkout and the lady had already given it to 5 rooms. I realize that they need to prep their hotel rooms for the next night, but I feel when a hotel has close to 100 rooms, if not more, only offering late checkout to 3 rooms is POOR customer service especially when the next night is a weekday that is not going to have anywhere near full occupancy. I even offered to pay part of the room fee to get late checkout and was told that it wasn't possible. My other issue was that the pool was super tiny! If it had 2 people in it, it looked crowded. I normally use the pools at hotels and was planning on using this one, but the pool always looked crowded because it was so small. The other issue with the pool is that there is no hot tub. The third issue with the pool is that it is glass enclosed and is right in the front of the hotel so the people in the lobby can watch you swim, the people going to their cars or walking to their rooms can see you and the people coming to check in can watch you swim. It is just a very weird place to have the pool. This hotel is listed as a 3.5 star hotel, basically I doubt the star rating is accurate. Normally a 3.5 star hotel has better and more amenities- I would think it was a 2.5 star hotel, but it is still a nice hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the first floor
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Both clerks at desk were friendly, even gave us coupons for a local restaurant when we asked about where to eat!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave And Cathy T
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We have stayed at the Best Western Inn at Valley View several times in the last few years and never been disappointed with anything. The location is great, putting us close to all the amenities of the area: shopping, movies, and events in Roanoke and South Central Virginia. A great place for a couples vacation, although we have watched families enjoying the swimming pool. The staff are always friendly, upbeat, and ready and willing to help with any request, which tells me the management sets a very high standard. Kudos to you, Lori! The rooms are large, clean, with comfortable beds, good reading lights, HDTV, and WI-FI internet access. There is a fridge and coffee machine if you need a snack before going to the breakfast room off the lobby. The bathrooms are totally up to date and even offer a little yellow rubber ducky to take home to the grand-babies! Although it is very close to the airport, we have never heard a plane land or take off. The on-site parking and shuttle service to and from the airport are added bonuses. I can't recommend this Best Western highly enough. It is definitely the best, Best Western around! We'll be back soon!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Thank you for posting your comments concerning your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View.
I know the roads at the mall area can be confusing but I didn't know GPS wouldn't take you directly to the hotel. I will look into that problem and try to get it corrected.
The Best Western is conveniently located at Valley View Mall with many wonderful restaurants nearby.
We look forward to having you visit again if you return to the Roanoke Valley.
Gary Purvis
VP of Operations

Reviewed August 19, 2011

My GPS could not find this hotel, but keep looking, it's worth it. Very clean, quiet, excellent staff and a good breakfast. Convenient to just about everything in Roanoke. If I'm ever there again, this is where I'm staying.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2011

A fine spot! Got is really really late - but was greeted warmly and treated in such a manner that we could shuffle down the hall and get to sleep!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I used to travel about 4 nights a week on business and have experienced all kinds of motels. During the last ten years we have only stayed in a motel a few times a year. This Best Western has really been a pleasure to stay at. When I was in sales, I made the observation which is about 90% true, that the attitude of the employees is a reflection of the attitude of the manager. If you have a pickle for a manager, you will probably have pickles for employees. The opposite is also true. The reason I'm so impressed with this staff is because they really do go out of their way to make their customers happy. When they speak of their manager, you can see the smile on their faces and hear the excitement in their voices. This tells me they have a super manager. This type of attitude can't be faked, it has to come from the heart. I have stayed here several times in the last year, and look forward to future stays as well. The rooms and grounds are clean, the breakfast area is second to none, and you never get the feeling you are "just" another customer. They treat you as though you own the place. While this motel is close to the airport, I have never heard the first airplane while in the motel.
This is what I call a great motel. Many roses to Lori Wommack, the manager.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple