“Love the Valley View Red Palace”
Review of Red Palace

Red Palace
Ranked #83 of 491 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I'm not a fan of the Tanglewood Mall Red Palace, but the Valley View Mall one is great! One of my favorite restaurants in Roanoke! They have a huge buffet to choose from and the food is great and always fresh.

Lunch is cheaper than dinner so do that if you can. It's not hard to get a table either.

My favorite is the chicken curry but they only have it at lunch and not dinner :(

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We ate dinner here on three occasions during our 9 day stay in Roanoke. This restaurant was within walking distance of our hotel.

This is a typical Chinese buffet restaurant with the usual assortment of meats, veggies, fish, etc. The quality of the food items varied with the time it spent in the serving trays. Everything was obviously acceptable, else we would not have returned.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed the veggies. I liked the salmon and fish fried in a light batter.

After I mentioned to one of the food tray ladies that the fish tray was empty, she promised to refill the tray. And she promptly did so.

Their desert cakes were delicious, especially the Boston cream pie. On our final visit we found the ice cream machine, tucked on the side.

The waiters, who do little more than bring you drinks and clear the soiled dishes, were all friendly and respectful. The hostess who seated us was not. She was cool, aloof, and unfriendly. Her demeanor told us that she thought she was doing us a favor by seating us.

If you want a decent Chinese buffet at a reasonable price, this is a good choice.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

There are 12 Chinese buffets within 10 miles from my house so I recognize when one is somewhat better than average. I've been frequenting this one in my travels for over 12 years now. Even when it's busy the Red Palace does not make you feel rushed and each part of the restaurant is subtly sectioned off so you are dining in a somewhat private area. Always clean with a very attentive staff, the selection is typical of most Chinese buffets. There is no sushi bar or teppanyaki grill, so the buffet food has to stand on its own merit, which it usually always does. Get there during normal peak dining hours and the food is always fresh. The ribs are among the best I have had and a pleasant surprise is the kielbasa, which satisfies even a person of Polish heritage (like yours truly). If anything on the buffet is stale, they will usually make a fresh new batch by request. I think 20+ visits without a bad experience speaks volumes! As close to 5 stars as I would give to a buffet.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Hey - we are talking Roanoke and not Chinatown SF, NY or Philly. The buffet food was edible and what you would expect of any Chinese Buffet anywhere in the country.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Lots of food and a pretty decent price! All in all, good for a buffet! They have a variety of items including lots of vegetables which is what I always want to make sure I am not just stuffing myself full of carbs--a danger at buffets. I like it, and I'd go back.